Sprint to use bandwidth aggregation, MIMO and CoMP to handle LTE traffic

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-use-bandwidth-aggregation-mimo-and-comp-handle-lte-traffic/2013-10-08

October 8, 2013 | By Phil Goldstein

HOLLYWOOD BEACH, Fla.--Sprint (NYSE:S) CTO Stephen Bye said there is no "silver bullet" in terms of what the carrier and its peers are doing to architect their networks to handle increased mobile data.

"We're going to have to push the envelope in every direction," he said during a keynote appearance here during the PCIA wireless infrastructure conference. He said that as Sprint continues to deploy its LTE network, it will turn to a variety of techniques to help it manage increasing data traffic. The comments are notable considering Sprint continues to offer unlimited data services, while its main rivals have switched to metered data pricing structures.

Specifically, Bye said Sprint will use...

GREAT NEWS. Really makes me doubt 800 LTE is coming online by the end of this year though. If it does it would likely be Chicago, Baltimore and a few other cities but most of the country won't see this benefit until 2014

GREAT NEWS. Really makes me doubt 800 LTE is coming online by the end of this year though. If it does it would likely be Chicago, Baltimore and a few other cities but most of the country won't see this benefit until 2014

This article also makes it sound like TD-LTE on 2600 will not be live until the end of the year.  And it is live now on thousands of sites.  Sprint is making sure to under promise and over deliver.  A new strategy for them and very wise.

Robert

• Like 10

This article also makes it sound like TD-LTE on 2600 will not be live until the end of the year.  And it is live now on thousands of sites.  Sprint is making sure to under promise and over deliver.  A new strategy for them and very wise.

Robert

Its the Montgomery Scott doctrine... say it will take hours get it done in ten minutes... then you are known as the miracle worker lol 

• Like 3

For those that are much more knowledgeable than me - will MIMO, bandwidth and carrier aggregation have an adverse impact on battery life?

I don't believe so, as I believe most of those technologies are implemented network-side.

This is a pretty interesting read if you're interested in learning about that kind of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

Basically, I think this more or less means the antenna becomes "smart" in splitting up the spectrum it broadcasts on for more efficient data use.

As for carrier aggregation, if anything that will probably improve battery life, as the phone will likely select the radio technologies that are best suited for its location. For example, if you're in a brick building connecting automatically to LTE 800 will be more power efficient than trying to maintain a weak LTE 1900 signal.

As for carrier aggregation, if anything that will probably improve battery life, as the phone will likely select the radio technologies that are best suited for its location. For example, if you're in a brick building connecting automatically to LTE 800 will be more power efficient than trying to maintain a weak LTE 1900 signal.

No, what you are describing is band reselection.  Carrier aggregation would combine together both LTE 1900 and LTE 800 carriers.

AJ

I'm really hopen this Nexus 5 D820 actually pans out to be true and blue for sprint bands. Tri-band and a nexus + top shelf specs. Sign me up! if not i'll most likely wait until next year when HTC / Samshit may introduce something. I really got my hopes high atm that the d820 is the real deal, so far the d821 manual seems to be more of a international version. 

so maybe Sprint doesn't want tri-band phones out till they are closer to launching...  

That may be true.  Falling back to Robert's statement of under promising then over delivering.

I know Josh has been staying on top of new developments (thank you Josh) with tri-band phones.  With our federal government in neutral, it will only further delay any new phones being tested and/or approved. 

No, what you are describing is band reselection.  Carrier aggregation would combine together both LTE 1900 and LTE 800 carriers.

AJ

Do you mean like using both bands at the same time? I am confuzzled what you mean by combining the carriers.

Do you mean like using both bands at the same time? I am confuzzled what you mean by combining the carriers.

Yes, that is exactly the nature of carrier aggregation.

AJ

• Like 1

Could it be like how T-Mobile uses one band for download and another for up?

No, T-Mobile does not.

AJ

• Like 1

Sorry I always thought that was the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services

The AWS band uses microwave frequencies in two segments: from 1710 to 1755 MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155 MHz for downlink

Right, that is the AWS-1 band, not bands.

A single FDD band consists of both uplink and downlink.  The frequency separation between the uplink and downlink is irrelevant.

AJ

• Like 1

Right, that is the AWS-1 band, not bands.

A single FDD band consists of both uplink and downlink.  The frequency separation between the uplink and downlink is irrelevant.

AJ

thanks!  always good to re-learn a wronged "item",