Dish trying to stop Sprint from obtaining more spectrum

lvanders

Found some news from the FCC that dish is now trying to mingle in Sprints affairs again.  Sprint is to try and get the H block of 1900 spectrum in an auction on Jan 14th but dish is going to try and compete and make the spectrum more expensive like usual.  Anyone want to go blow up dish?  I sure do.  Here is a link to the article.  http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/09/16/dish-gives-sprint-another-hurdle/

• Like 1

Well, first Dish must get the Lightsquared's spectrum, then apply to the FCC to redesignate 2000-2200MHz as supplemental downlink. All of those things will not happen before the auction.

Edited by bigsnake49

Well, first Dish must get the Lightsquared's spectrum, then apply to the FCC to redesignate 2000-2200MHz as supplemental downlink. All of those things will not happen before the auction.

You never know...they are a bunch of weasels those dish people haha

• Like 1

Would they just expand on LTE coverage with H-Block, then?  What plans do they have if they obtain H-Block?

Yes thats exactly what they will do.  It will give them a 10x10 instead of 5x5 bandwidth which will increase our speeds :)  Its all just for more spectrum to help data speeds basically.

• Like 1

Would they just expand on LTE coverage with H-Block, then?  What plans do they have if they obtain H-Block?

In the beginning they will have another contiguous 5x5 block for LTE. If Dish wins, and under the assumption that they redesignate 2000-2020MHz as downlink, they can have an assymetrical 25x5MHz LTE band.

• Like 1

Yes thats exactly what they will do.  It will give them a 10x10 instead of 5x5 bandwidth which will increase our speeds :)  Its all just for more spectrum to help data speeds basically.

PCS H has a few more power restrictions than PCS G.

So sprint officials came out and said that they will gladly hand over the H block to dish and not attempt to make a bid for it if all dish representatives including Charlie Ergen take a few days in each state and allow people to line up and kick them in the crotch.  They also stated that there will be a "Fast Track" line for S4GRU members!!  This seems pretty legit.  Here is where it was blogged...

www.creedthoughts.gov.www/creedthoughts.  

I'm excited for this day!!

The future of Sprint's network doesn't revolve around the H Block.  At this point, I'd like to see them make Charlie pay too much for it.  

1900 is still Sprints bread and butter frequency. There is not enough 800 mhz spectrum and 2500 even after being fully deployed will still have its inherent propagation flaws. If Sprint can increase its 1900 holdings then i think they should go for it.

1900 is still Sprints bread and butter frequency. There is not enough 800 mhz spectrum and 2500 even after being fully deployed will still have its inherent propagation flaws. If Sprint can increase its 1900 holdings then i think they should go for it.

Completely agree. No way does Sprint allow other carriers to pick up licenses in the H block and I know Sprint will have a strong showing at Auction 96.  Sprint paid this money back in 2008 to move the BAS service from 1990 MHz to 2025 MHz so that they can free up all this spectrum for 4G use.  Sprint in a way has already put some eggs in this H block basket by paying to move the BAS service. 

Completely agree. No way does Sprint allow other carriers to pick up licenses in the H block and I know Sprint will have a strong showing at Auction 96.  Sprint paid this money back in 2008 to move the BAS service from 1990 MHz to 2025 MHz so that they can free up all this spectrum for 4G use.  Sprint in a way has already put some eggs in this H block basket by paying to move the BAS service. 

Don't forget that if someone other than Sprint gets the H block they have to reimburse Sprint for helping to move it.

• Like 2

Don't forget that if someone other than Sprint gets the H block they have to reimburse Sprint for helping to move it.

Yes.  The only way it makes sense is if Sprint can pick it up at a discount or non-inflated price.  With Dish sitting on billions and running out of time to actually put their assets to use, let them pay market value or more for the H Block.  Charlie will be nuzzling up to ATT or Sprint soon enough, begging for a deployment partner.

This more than sums up the challenges of deploying and using the H block  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4112-pcs-h-block-spectrum-discussion-was-draft-rules-for-h-block-auction-set-by-fcc/page-2?hl=+block%20+new%20+band

So if we have to have new site equipment and new devices to put the H block to use (and will NEVER see it deployed 10 x 10), would we rather Sprint pay too much for it or would we rather sprint pay too much for lower band spectrum in the coming years? 

• Like 3

he should just stick to his snowy picture when it rains.   Or develop his own system with his own frequency

...so says "the cable guy."

:P

AJ

Yes.  The only way it makes sense is if Sprint can pick it up at a discount or non-inflated price.  With Dish sitting on billions and running out of time to actually put their assets to use, let them pay market value or more for the H Block.  Charlie will be nuzzling up to ATT or Sprint soon enough, begging for a deployment partner.

This more than sums up the challenges of deploying and using the H block  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4112-pcs-h-block-spectrum-discussion-was-draft-rules-for-h-block-auction-set-by-fcc/page-2?hl=+block%20+new%20+band

So if we have to have new site equipment and new devices to put the H block to use (and will NEVER see it deployed 10 x 10), would we rather Sprint pay too much for it or would we rather sprint pay too much for lower band spectrum in the coming years? 

According to that thread CA would allow current devices to continue operating on a the G block and new devices to operate on both g and h blocks.

According to that thread CA would allow current devices to continue operating on a the G block and new devices to operate on both g and h blocks.

Yes, CA is the only way you can get the benefits of 10MHz without shutting down the people with Band 25 only devices from accessing the G block LTE carrier.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Yes, CA is the only way you can get the benefits of 10MHz without shutting down the people with Band 25 only devices from accessing the G block LTE carrier.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

So would Sprint actually do this? I feel they should since there is a drop off in speed when leaving 2600 coverage and this would help their indoor speed and image against vzw and att. My two cents

I wouldn't be disappointed in Sprint at all for not winning the auction. All the new equipment they would need, lack of backward compatibility, only 5mhz FDD... I say save the money for the 600mhz auction and for more small cells at 2600mhz.

• Like 1