SoftBank, Huawei LTE-A test reaches 770 Mbps in 3.5 GHz band Read more: SoftBank, Huawei LTE-A test reaches 770 Mbps in 3.5 GHz band

IamMrFamous07

Japanese telecom operator SoftBank collaborated with network gear vendor Huawei on a field test of LTE Advanced in the 3.5 GHz band that supported a peak download speed of 770 Mbps and average download speeds of 500 Mbps.

The test involved multiple LTE-A technologies to achieve those speeds, including carrier aggregation (CA), coordinated multi-point (CoMP) and cloud baseband, said the companies.

The demo late last month was held in Tokyo's densely populated Ginza district and hosted by the Global TD-LTE Initiative (GTI). Members are interested in speeding up the release of 3.5 GHz spectrum for TD-LTE use. SoftBank and Huawei said Japan's government is expected to allocate spectrum from 3.4 to 3.6 GHz for commercial LTE networks by 2015.

Read more: SoftBank, Huawei LTE-A test reaches 770 Mbps in 3.5 GHz band - FierceBroadbandWireless http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/softbank-huawei-lte-test-reaches-770-mbps-35-ghz-band/2013-09-15#ixzz2ewEnLseD 
Subscribe at FierceBroadbandWireless

• Like 1

That high frequency wouldn't penetrate a piece of paper B)

3.5GHz works just fine in the density that it is deployed in Asia. It will penetrate walls in the short distances that of is designed for. 2.6GHz even penetrates fine when you are inline with a sector and within half mile of a site. High frequencies are fine, used in conjunction with lower frequencies to fill in the gaps.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ericsson has already demoed TD-LTE in 2600 that can do this; it's not a Huawei-specific thing. But my guess is that Huawei was more willing to show off their next-gen tech to SoftBank than Ericsson was.

In other news, Huawei is responsible for at least on Canadian Band 7 (20x20 FD) operator's (I think Bell) deployments.

Also, when you amp up the power, it's surprising what you can do with higher frequencies. 3.5GHz would be excellent for airport or stadium DASes. And fixed wireless everywhere else.

Lots of neat things coming in the next few years to off load in key areas. Similar to the large stadiums and big tourist areas that only span a block or two area but have high usage.  Even some areas in bigger Cities that have lots of high rise condo and apartment bldgs in a smaller area can benefit from things like this.  Tech is going fast and we can hardly grab on !  Fun times  :o