Sprint One Up program......breaking news (response to Jump/Edge/Next)

Rocket87

So if a phone has a small crack on the screen will they let you trade it in? Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

No one knows yet. The test will be when 12 month contracts already on the one up program try to trade in and are either allowed or told to finish paying off the broken device

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

So if a phone has a small crack on the screen will they let you trade it in? Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

No one knows yet. The test will be when 12 month contracts already on the one up program try to trade in and are either allowed or told to finish paying off the broken deviceSent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Basing off the requirements for people doing one up right now that are 12-19 months under contract, which requires the give back of your device, the answer is maybe and depends on the severity. One small crack would probably be ok, but more than an inch or multiple then no. You would have to do an insurance claim and turn the replacement device in. Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free
  • Like 1

What happens if you try to put a line on Seasonal standby with a One Up financed device? I know you would still have to pay for the device, but can the phone plan be on standby?

Basing off the requirements for people doing one up right now that are 12-19 months under contract, which requires the give back of your device, the answer is maybe and depends on the severity. One small crack would probably be ok, but more than an inch or multiple then no. You would have to do an insurance claim and turn the replacement device in.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

From a refurbishing standpoint, a slightly cracked screen is no different than a screen that has a large crack. The "maybe" is whether or not the sprint employee processing the trade interprets the T&C 's as they are stated ( no damage) or dismisses the damage and passes those extra refurbishing costs back to sprint. If its a handset that the local repair facility can replace a screen for, you can bet that you will have to pay them for the repair at a minimum. Otherwise, expect to be told to talk to asurion or in the case of no insurance, keep your broken device.

They current terms of the open sign up for One Up are temporary. Sprint is accepting any handset for trade (instead of the last one you received) and using the program to incent everything data customers to transition to the newer more revenue friendly, less data roaming plans. We should not expect Sprint to ignore damage or deviate from One Up T&C's

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Good luck. Some stores are being told it was to be last phone you did at upgrade. I had to give up my Note2.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk now Free

Which would be impossible for those of us who have sold the last upgraded device and purchased another outright.  Makes financial sense if the device we are offering for trade carries an equal or better trade in value, but that confirms my initial concerns with the program outside of the cost increase.  Justifying increased MRC for the opportunity to upgrade every 12 months goes awry if you do not carry insurance or you upgrade to a device that is unacceptable to you for some reason (RF/Quality- ie Evo LTE). 

My questions; if you are not trading in a phone then Up is not an option?

I have decided that I am going to get the N3. I want to give my N2 to another line on my account. Could I trade in an old Photon?

Thoughts n ideas?

sent from the tiny N2

What are you trying to say here?  Are you asking if you do the One Up program with a Note 3 and when you have to trade in a device after 12 months if you can trade in a Photon instead of the Note 3?

If so then I guess you take Sprint personnel as fools then.  Once you sign up with the One Up program, Sprint makes a note of the device that you started your monthly phone bill installments (aka Note 3).  You can't after 12 months from now go to a Sprint store the day before you plan to upgrade your device and swap your Note 3 on your main line to a Photon.  Then after that go into a Sprint store the next day and use the Photon to trade in that device and restart your payments.  It doesn't work that way and Sprint can easily verify the device that you should be trading in which should be the Note 3.  

Besides none of the Wimax phones are eligible to be traded in since they were not even sold on day 1 of the One Up program.   

I'm curious to what T-Mobile will announce on Wednesday.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Unlimited international plans. If I traveled outside of the US more than 3-4 times per year, this would be very compelling. I think this will make more businesses opt for T-mobile.

I hope this will force other carriers to have more reasonable international rates.

So I went to the sprint store to have them explain the plan to me compared to what I have now. I have 2 lines and a discount through work. The one up plan would cost me 25-30 more bucks a month than what I'm paying now. One of the disadvantages is that my wife has to upgrade her line as well, even though she doesn't care about the early upgrade.

So my math is this: I pay 400 bucks for 2 phones. This means after a year I've roughly broken even (30 dollars savings on my current plan x 12 months). If I choose to upgrade myself, I can sell my phone for 350 and buy a new phone for 650. So then over the next year I've broken even again. After the end of both two years I can sell my phone and my wife's and then get another 2 phones at the subsidized price, so at that point I am ahead.

Is my math wrong. The only advantages I see are not having to sell on ebay/Craigslist. Which I don't really care about.

Not having a contract is advantageous, but if I leave under one up, I have to pay off the phone, which is the equivalent to an ETF.

Is my math wrong, or am I right?

So I went to the sprint store to have them explain the plan to me compared to what I have now. I have 2 lines and a discount through work. The one up plan would cost me 25-30 more bucks a month than what I'm paying now. One of the disadvantages is that my wife has to upgrade her line as well, even though she doesn't care about the early upgrade.So my math is this: I pay 400 bucks for 2 phones. This means after a year I've roughly broken even (30 dollars savings on my current plan x 12 months). If I choose to upgrade myself, I can sell my phone for 350 and buy a new phone for 650. So then over the next year I've broken even again. After the end of both two years I can sell my phone and my wife's and then get another 2 phones at the subsidized price, so at that point I am ahead. Is my math wrong. The only advantages I see are not having to sell on ebay/Craigslist. Which I don't really care about.Not having a contract is advantageous, but if I leave under one up, I have to pay off the phone, which is the equivalent to an ETF.Is my math wrong, or am I right?

First, why would the one up plan cost 30 dollars more? Second you can do next for your phone and not your wife's. Further two years from now you more than likely will not get 350 for you wife's phone unless she goes with an iPhone and that still might be pushing it. One up makes it more expensive to leave sprint, but a 200 dollar phone on a two year contract should only be 12 bucks a month, that is 27 (equipment cost) -15 service credit=12

First, why would the one up plan cost 30 dollars more? Second you can do next for your phone and not your wife's. Further two years from now you more than likely will not get 350 for you wife's phone unless she goes with an iPhone and that still might be pushing it. One up makes it more expensive to leave sprint, but a 200 dollar phone on a two year contract should only be 12 bucks a month, that is 27 (equipment cost) -15 service credit=12

When I spoke to the rep. He told me I couldn't keep my discount for the one up. He also told me I had to change both lines to one up. So I'm comparing one up without discount to my current plan with one.

We would get iPhones, but I didn't say we would get $350 for hers, just mine.

My total bill for two lines is 145 including taxes. Under one up, my bill is 80 x 2, plus 12x 2 = 174 before taxes.

If the rep is wrong, then all bets are off, but even getting 150-200 for my wife's, I think I'm better off standing pat. Am I wrong?

When I spoke to the rep. He told me I couldn't keep my discount for the one up. He also told me I had to change both lines to one up. So I'm comparing one up without discount to my current plan with one.

We would get iPhones, but I didn't say we would get $350 for hers, just mine.

My total bill for two lines is 145 including taxes. Under one up, my bill is 80 x 2, plus 12x 2 = 174 before taxes.

If the rep is wrong, then all bets are off, but even getting 150-200 for my wife's, I think I'm better off standing pat. Am I wrong?

yes the rep is wrong.  you do not need to use one up on both lines, unless your wife's line is not eligible for the standard discount.  Sprint is allowing people no eligible for two year pricing to be eligible for one up.  he was also wrong about you keeping your discount. however your discount will be less, currently if you are on everything data you are receiving your discount off of 110 of your bill.  under the new plan you will receive your discount off of 60.  so yeah the rep you spoke to didn't have a good understanding of one up or was being dishonest.

This is yet another reason to not do one up. For the next week, Best Buy will take your old smartphone and give you 100 bucks to use for the new iphone. According to the fine print, they will take any working smartphone. If I had an iphone, no way, but all I have to do is dust off the Palm Pre and HTC Evo (Wimax Version) and get two 5s's for 200 bucks. Then I can sell the 4s's we have. Maybe I'm crazy, but i feel like it's a better deal.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/best-buy-preparing-100-trade-in-promotion-for-iphone-5s-iphone-5c

This is yet another reason to not do one up. For the next week, Best Buy will take your old smartphone and give you 100 bucks to use for the new iphone. According to the fine print, they will take any working smartphone. If I had an iphone, no way, but all I have to do is dust off the Palm Pre and HTC Evo (Wimax Version) and get two 5s's for 200 bucks. Then I can sell the 4s's we have. Maybe I'm crazy, but i feel like it's a better deal.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/best-buy-preparing-100-trade-in-promotion-for-iphone-5s-iphone-5c

If you did trade in an iPhone you would get over $100 for it. That promo was a minimum of $100 for any smartphone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

With the One Up program. You pay a monthly fee for the phone on top of your regular rate plan. My question is 1. Is there a option like T-Mobile to pay the phone off quicker than the 24 months lets say for instance 12 months? 2. If I pay the phone off is it required that I have to give the phone back? Couldn't I just pay the phone off in a year and then get another phone under the program without giving up my phone?

With the One Up program. You pay a monthly fee for the phone on top of your regular rate plan. My question is 1. Is there a option like T-Mobile to pay the phone off quicker than the 24 months lets say for instance 12 months? 2. If I pay the phone off is it required that I have to give the phone back? Couldn't I just pay the phone off in a year and then get another phone under the program without giving up my phone?

1.You can pay the phone off at anytime.

2. If you pay it off you are not required to do a give back to get a new phone.

But if you pay off your phone early, I understand you lose your $15/month discount and return to paying essentially a built in subsidized price for a paid for phone.

• Like 1

1.You can pay the phone off at anytime.

2. If you pay it off you are not required to do a give back to get a new phone.

Thank you for the info!