Questions about returning to Sprint

thatrandomguy

Am I the only one who's noticed the phrase "AT&T's Blazing Fast LTE" popping up a lot in this thread? It smells fishy.

Why is it fishy if I'm a current AT&T subscriber? I don't work for AT&T if that's what your implying. Or the NSA. (HI! People who scan the internet!!) And I'm not a narc either...

Wow that's quite scary but at least no one got hurt. Luckily the fire didn't spread to the trees or the building it was behiend. 

I have been loyal to Sprint now for 10+ years and have got plenty of friends & family on board with them. However my patience is getting very thin. Let me say that Sprint has had outstanding Voice service without issues over the years. I can't recall one time where I haven't been able to make a call as long as I was in Sprint Coverage.

I have never had any tower issues up until about a month ago. Sprint turned on 4G on my home tower and ever since then service around my home area has been absolutely terrible. I have been forcing my phone onto Verizon just to make calls.  Data constantly gets dropped and it will bounce from 1X, 3G, LTE as I'm driving down the road with tower in site. It's unusable in it's current state. I have called Sprint a number of times, it's just ongoing network vision with no end in site. The 4G roll out thus far hasn't been great in my opinion either. The LTE signal is week compare to 3G & dumps in a lot of the buildings I have been in. It's not as bad as wimax but it still sucks.

The only reason I haven't left if I'm on a Sero Premium plan so $50 a month all you can eat. However I have tested Verizon's network in my area and it's worth double & being capped. What good is unlimited if your connection is an unstable net zero type connection. It's pretty worthless in it's current state. Sprint can make promises all they want but the bottom line the current state of the Network I rate an F at least in my area. Even before my tower issues, the data speeds are an absolute joke. Also the LTE tests I have ran I would say are averaging 6-10 down which is respectable you don't really need 30 down although it's nice for bragging rights which I have hit 30 on Sprint.

I'm willing to stick it out since I'm on such a good plan & i know what the long term goal is however it's taking way too long. If I was a new customer shopping retail plans, sprint would hands down be the LAST choice. Sure it's unlimited but the retails plans are really not that much cheaper then AT&T or big red.

I have been loyal to Sprint now for 10+ years and have got plenty of friends & family on board with them. However my patience is getting very thin. Let me say that Sprint has had outstanding Voice service without issues over the years. I can't recall one time where I haven't been able to make a call as long as I was in Sprint Coverage.

I have never had any tower issues up until about a month ago. Sprint turned on 4G on my home tower and ever since then service around my home area has been absolutely terrible. I have been forcing my phone onto Verizon just to make calls.  Data constantly gets dropped and it will bounce from 1X, 3G, LTE as I'm driving down the road with tower in site. It's unusable in it's current state. I have called Sprint a number of times, it's just ongoing network vision with no end in site. The 4G roll out thus far hasn't been great in my opinion either. The LTE signal is week compare to 3G & dumps in a lot of the buildings I have been in. It's not as bad as wimax but it still sucks.

The only reason I haven't left if I'm on a Sero Premium plan so $50 a month all you can eat. However I have tested Verizon's network in my area and it's worth double & being capped. What good is unlimited if your connection is an unstable net zero type connection. It's pretty worthless in it's current state. Sprint can make promises all they want but the bottom line the current state of the Network I rate an F at least in my area. Even before my tower issues, the data speeds are an absolute joke. Also the LTE tests I have ran I would say are averaging 6-10 down which is respectable you don't really need 30 down although it's nice for bragging rights which I have hit 30 on Sprint.

I'm willing to stick it out since I'm on such a good plan & i know what the long term goal is however it's taking way too long. If I was a new customer shopping retail plans, sprint would hands down be the LAST choice. Sure it's unlimited but the retails plans are really not that much cheaper then AT&T or big red.

Minnesota will be one of the earlier markets for LTE Band 26 (800MHz).  And also since Minneapolis has a fuil WiMax network, it is likely going to see LTE Band 41 (TD-LTE 2600MHz) before the end of the year too.  I think that Sprint in Minnesota will be a very good place to be in 6 months for Triband device holders.  But that would mean a device upgrade would be required for you.

Robert

• Like 1

Sprint can make promises all they want but the bottom line the current state of the Network I rate an F at least in my area. Even before my tower issues, the data speeds are an absolute joke. Also the LTE tests I have ran I would say are averaging 6-10 down which is respectable you don't really need 30 down although it's nice for bragging rights which I have hit 30 on Sprint.

Sprint has been making promises of improved coverage and reception for years.  Lately the canned response to a complaint about coverage or speeds (anywhere in America) is that NV is coming or in process of coming.  There isn't such a thing anymore that coverage or speeds just suck.  

You really can't blame anyone for being cynical.  Average customers don't read sites like this nor do they keep up with Sprint network upgrades or improved network performance "on the way."

NV seems really important to Sprint because they are now starting to do what other carriers have already been doing for years including investing the CAPEX necessary to modernize their network.  

It seems a lack of cash and the worst management in the industry hurt Sprint.  Hopefully if Softbank is serious they will turn the ship around and allow Sprint to better compete in the world's toughest market. 

I was bothered the other day when I read that NV progress has been delayed again.  It's setback after setback for Sprint.  http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1806857-Sprint-pushes-back-Network-Vision-completion-date-to-mid-2014  We can't keep blaming the birds for these delays.  http://gizmodo.com/5929230/your-sprint-4g-sucks-because-of-birds

I remember in the early 2000's that Sprint seemed so fresh and technologically advanced.  They had better phones and better features than the rest.  Outside the hardcore fans and employees who will never leave Sprint the brand has totally lost its luster.  

I think they should start new and rebrand everything.  Provide a competitive network experience with revolutionary rate plans, hottest phones and rates that make sense for both consumers and shareholders alike.  

I'm thinking of ditching sprint after 10 plus years. Big red here I come. Sure the plans are a little more money but so what. It doesn't break the bank. At least with Verizon you get what you pay for.

?

Verizon's LTE speeds are the slowest in the nation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

I'm thinking of ditching sprint after 10 plus years. Big red here I come. Sure the plans are a little more money but so what. It doesn't break the bank. At least with Verizon you get what you pay for.

What are you going to be saying when you get your first peak time LTE 750 speed test that is less than 1Mbps? I have Verizon too. There is no perfect carrier. There is just the best for your needs.

If you want to go to Verizon, so be it. You should choose the carrier that best meets your needs. But please don't go posting it in multiple forums on our site. Sprint will be a better carrier than Verizon within its footprint after Triband LTE is deployed. That is a promise.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Sprint will be a better carrier than Verizon within its footprint after Triband LTE is deployed. That is a promise.

I can't say with certainty that you are right or wrong but that's a pretty ballsy statement.  

There are a lot of implied assumptions on your part that Sprint will be better than the rest and the other carriers will have had no further network upgrades or expansions (particularly Verizon).  

It's not that easy to build out these newer networks and with the NV delays Sprint knows first hand that completion dates have to keep being pushed out due to un-forseen circumstances. 

IMHO it's going to boil down to money and commitment.  When the heat is on carriers will either use free unpaired spectrum or carrier integration to accomplish similar goals.  At work we're a big Verizon house but AT&T has been courting us to be a huge integrator partner.  They showed us slides panning Sprint/Softbank at a big disadvantage and showed their plans for carrier integration (using excess cellular and PCS spectrum), heavy participation in new spectrum auctions, cell site density, DAS/small cells, newer remote radio heads, strategically placed antennae etc...  were going to give AT&T a better LTE experience than Verizon or Sprint.

T-Mobile came to us and basically did the same thing... T-Mobile made it a point to paint Sprint as incapable of executing... blah blah blah. 

When we met with Verizon directly they laughed and made it sound like all the other carriers are so far behind them that they will never catch up.. and if they somehow do Verizon will already be on to the next big thing. 

In my area of SoCal all 4 national carriers have LTE at least south and west of the local mountain ranges.  AT&T right now performs the best in terms of density and speeds.  Verizon wins on absolute coverage.  T-Mobile is fast in certain spots but very spotty.  Sprint's LTE is a bit slow right now but they have more LTE local coverage than T-Mobile.  

• Like 1

...their plans for carrier integration (using excess cellular and PCS spectrum), heavy participation in new spectrum auctions, cell site density, DAS/small cells, newer remote radio heads, strategically placed antennae etc... 

That is the strategy of just about every carrier in the US currently. Nothing about that information is specific to any carrier. The main difference with Sprint's plan however is which spectrum is being used for what.

LTE is going to be deployed on all three of Sprint's spectrum bands. As far as I know every other carrier is sticking to only a single spectrum band. This allows for more flexibility in the network and, combined with carrier aggregation, should provide more stable connections at higher speeds. The intention is for every tower to be upgraded to send out all three LTE signals. The closer you are to a tower, the higher spectrum frequency you will use. Using Clearwire's 2600MHz spectrum allows for high speeds at short range (upwards of 90Mbps), 1900MHz goes further out from the tower and will allow speeds up to 37Mbps, and 800MHz will go further still to allow the same 37Mbps speeds. Again, with LTE speed is very signal dependent, so the edge of coverage will always have lower speeds on all carriers (this is why they all advertise average speeds around 4-8Mbps, that is the sweet spot in the middle to outer ranges).

3G is staying on 1900MHz only like it has been (with LTE being deployed on three separate frequencies and being added to all towers, 3G failover rates will be extremely low). 1xRTT voice will be on both 1900MHz like currently, and will also be deployed on 800MHz to extend coverage and fill in gaps. As far as I know, Sprint is the only carrier taking a systematic and comprehensive approach to maximize their entire spectrum portfolio nationwide.

In addition, you have to not take into account Sprint's ownership by SoftBank. Most of Sprint's failures since the Nextel merger in 2005 have been due to a network CAPEX spending stop, operating two entirely separate and incompatible networks, and a complete lack of profitability primarily caused by massive debt from that merger. Network Vision fixes the network issues, standardizes the network nationwide as far as equipment and setup is concerned (as opposed to the hodge-podge created through mergers), and future-proofs it to allow for easy upgrades going forward. SoftBank already has experience with both FDD and TDD LTE in Japan, as well as a Tri-Band network infrastructure plan (900/1700/2600 in Japan). In addition, SoftBank has the capital to pump into Sprint's network to get it up to the standard they want. There is a reason SoftBank Mobile is the number three carrier and is continually providing larger profits and improvements in Japan while stealing customers from their competitors, and they plan to do the same here.

• Like 1

Minnesota will be one of the earlier markets for LTE Band 26 (800MHz).  And also since Minneapolis has a fuil WiMax network, it is likely going to see LTE Band 41 (TD-LTE 2600MHz) before the end of the year too.  I think that Sprint in Minnesota will be a very good place to be in 6 months for Triband device holders.  But that would mean a device upgrade would be required for you.

Robert

I sure hope it is, I was kinda surprised the HTC One didn't have 800 MHz support on LTE or the GS4. If Sprint really is planning on lightning up 800 LTE by the end of the year which I have a hard time imagining since they seem to be struggling deploying 4G in this market. It's getting better but again my tower has been completely borked for well over a month now. All this weekend couldn't get a LTE signal to stick at my house. As far as TD-LTE goes, that will be cool for bragging rights but if it's anything like wimax forget about it. Even in a "healthy" wimax area, the signal would constantly dump. It was unusable while in a car. Walk inside anywhere or take a dip in the road at it was out. I have bought every HTC Flagship since the evo on release day so I have no problem buying a new phone. Looking forward to any upcoming tri-band devices, they at least need to keep the voice stable while working on data though. I really don't know what to do about my tower, calling into customer care does nothing.

I can't say with certainty that you are right or wrong but that's a pretty ballsy statement.

There are a lot of implied assumptions on your part that Sprint will be better than the rest and the other carriers will have had no further network upgrades or expansions (particularly Verizon).

It's not that easy to build out these newer networks and with the NV delays Sprint knows first hand that completion dates have to keep being pushed out due to un-forseen circumstances.

IMHO it's going to boil down to money and commitment. When the heat is on carriers will either use free unpaired spectrum or carrier integration to accomplish similar goals. At work we're a big Verizon house but AT&T has been courting us to be a huge integrator partner. They showed us slides panning Sprint/Softbank at a big disadvantage and showed their plans for carrier integration (using excess cellular and PCS spectrum), heavy participation in new spectrum auctions, cell site density, DAS/small cells, newer remote radio heads, strategically placed antennae etc... were going to give AT&T a better LTE experience than Verizon or Sprint.

T-Mobile came to us and basically did the same thing... T-Mobile made it a point to paint Sprint as incapable of executing... blah blah blah.

When we met with Verizon directly they laughed and made it sound like all the other carriers are so far behind them that they will never catch up.. and if they somehow do Verizon will already be on to the next big thing.

In my area of SoCal all 4 national carriers have LTE at least south and west of the local mountain ranges. AT&T right now performs the best in terms of density and speeds. Verizon wins on absolute coverage. T-Mobile is fast in certain spots but very spotty. Sprint's LTE is a bit slow right now but they have more LTE local coverage than T-Mobile.

At build out, Verizon will have two 10Mhz LTE carriers for ~100m subs (and in a few places they have enough spectrum for a 3rd). Sprint will have 2-3 20MHz LTE carriers, plus 1-3 5MHz PCS carriers, plus a 5MHz SMR LTE carrier for ~50m subs.

So Verizon will have 20-30MHz for 100m subs at their build out. Sprint will have 50-80MHz for 50m subs at their build out. Also, Sprint's PCS network is denser than VZW LTE's network, and their TD-LTE network is way denser than VZW's. So the network capacity as a whole for Sprint is even far greater than these numbers show because of density.

Now with SoftBank's deep pockets, Sprint will be able to build out and do everything the duopoly is doing, but with so much more spectrum and the Network Vision platform, Sprint will be able to trounce Verizon in average throughput speeds and match VZW saturation of signal within its existing footprint. The only advantage VZW will have in 18 months will be native LTE signal in rural areas where Sprint doesn't provide service.

VZW speeds are already plummeting. They cannot deploy AWS fast enough. I am a VZW customer too, and in many places in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado that I frequent, their LTE speeds drop to 1-3Mbps at peak times. Heck, I even get sub 1Mbps speeds sometimes. I even bought an AWS capable hotspot so I can benefit from that when they finally kick it on, because 750 is getting so crowded.

• Like 2

I sure hope it is, I was kinda surprised the HTC One didn't have 800 MHz support on LTE or the GS4. If Sprint really is planning on lightning up 800 LTE by the end of the year which I have a hard time imagining since they seem to be struggling deploying 4G in this market. It's getting better but again my tower has been completely borked for well over a month now. All this weekend couldn't get a LTE signal to stick at my house. As far as TD-LTE goes, that will be cool for bragging rights but if it's anything like wimax forget about it. Even in a "healthy" wimax area, the signal would constantly dump. It was unusable while in a car. Walk inside anywhere or take a dip in the road at it was out. I have bought every HTC Flagship since the evo on release day so I have no problem buying a new phone. Looking forward to any upcoming tri-band devices, they at least need to keep the voice stable while working on data though. I really don't know what to do about my tower, calling into customer care does nothing.

First, the HTC One and GS4 were not surprising to me at all that they did not include LTE 800. They couldn't have. No one has ever used Band 26 for LTE. It only was FCC approved that wideband operations could be done in the SMR band in 3rd Quarter 2012. Then Sprint had to put together the very first lab and FIT for LTE 800. It took months of planning/testing. And then in March 2013 they were able to get the info to the OEM's about the band for inclusion in devices. The HTC One was complete and in production at that time. So the earliest devices can be out is about now. First USB/hotspot devices, then smart phones a few months later.

Second, Minnesota is not struggling. Compared to other markets, it is going quite well. Additionally, to add LTE 800 is not anything like what has gone on to date. All the equipment for LTE 800 was installed at each site when it received a Network Vision equipment upgrade. Someone just has to go back, install a carrier card and fire the thing up and test it. Some of the newer sites may even already have the carrier cards.

Also, you probably have not had the end of the year deadline explained. When they say done by the end of the year, they mean all the sites that have received their LTE 1900 upgrades will also have their LTE 800 turned on too. Then after that, every site from there forward will get LTE 1900 and 800 turned on at the same time.

As far as TD-LTE, it is much more than bragging rights. It does provide much faster speeds. But more importantly, it adds a lot more capacity. Each TD-LTE carrier has roughly three times the capacity of each LTE 1900 carrier. It will free up those LTE 1900 and LTE 800 carriers to only the people who need them because the 2600 won't reach them. And it will keep those 1900/800 carrier speeds much higher as a result of most of the traffic being carried on 2600.

Also, LTE on 2600 is much better than WiMax in signal propagation. WiMax petered out around -82dBm RSSI, but LTE goes out to about -95dBm RSSI. And on a hotspot, I can get it to stick around -100 to -103dBm. This is a significant coverage boost that will be seen between LTE and WiMax. I was able to use TD-LTE on my hotspot in Denver in many more places than WiMax.

SoftBank is putting TD-LTE 2600 on every single Clearwire WiMax site. They are now on 5,000 or so. They are trying to push up the deadline and may be able to get this done 1st quarter 2014. This will give Sprint the ability to close up entire coverage in most Top 100 markets pretty quickly. Because this is an overlay type of install, more like what Tmo has done. It will go much quicker than Sprint Network Vision, which involved so much planning, permitting and a complete rebuild at every site.

But SoftBank is not stopping there. The are requiring TD-LTE to be added to every single Sprint Network Vision site too. Every one. And then on top of that, they are committing to add lots more TD-LTE sites, in filling between sites in urban areas that have no 2600 signal, or would benefit from a stronger one.

And these are not just dreams of Sprint executives. These are concrete plans by our Japanese Overlords, who not only have the money to do it all, but have done exactly the same thing in Japan. I understand everyone's frustrations with the past. But this is not even the same company anymore, except in name.

• Like 9

First, the HTC One and GS4 were not surprising to me at all that they did not include LTE 800. They couldn't have. No one has ever used Band 26 for LTE. It only was FCC approved that wideband operations could be done in the SMR band in 3rd Quarter 2012. Then Sprint had to put together the very first lab and FIT for LTE 800. It took months of planning/testing. And then in March 2013 they were able to get the info to the OEM's about the band for inclusion in devices. The HTC One was complete and in production at that time. So the earliest devices can be out is about now. First USB/hotspot devices, then smart phones a few months later.

Second, Minnesota is not struggling. Compared to other markets, it is going quite well. Additionally, to add LTE 800 is not anything like what has gone on to date. All the equipment for LTE 800 was installed at each site when it received a Network Vision equipment upgrade. Someone just has to go back, install a carrier card and fire the thing up and test it. Some of the newer sites may even already have the carrier cards.

Also, you probably have not had the end of the year deadline explained. When they say done by the end of the year, they mean all the sites that have received their LTE 1900 upgrades will also have their LTE 800 turned on too. Then after that, every site from there forward will get LTE 1900 and 800 turned on at the same time.

As far as TD-LTE, it is much more than bragging rights. It does provide much faster speeds. But more importantly, it adds a lot more capacity. Each TD-LTE carrier has roughly three times the capacity of each LTE 1900 carrier. It will free up those LTE 1900 and LTE 800 carriers to only the people who need them because the 2600 won't reach them. And it will keep those 1900/800 carrier speeds much higher as a result of most of the traffic being carried on 2600.

Also, LTE on 2600 is much better than WiMax in signal propagation. WiMax petered out around -82dBm RSSI, but LTE goes out to about -95dBm RSSI. And on a hotspot, I can get it to stick around -100 to -103dBm. This is a significant coverage boost that will be seen between LTE and WiMax. I was able to use TD-LTE on my hotspot in Denver in many more places than WiMax.

SoftBank is putting TD-LTE 2600 on every single Clearwire WiMax site. They are now on 5,000 or so. They are trying to push up the deadline and may be able to get this done 1st quarter 2014. This will give Sprint the ability to close up entire coverage in most Top 100 markets pretty quickly. Because this is an overlay type of install, more like what Tmo has done. It will go much quicker than Sprint Network Vision, which involved so much planning, permitting and a complete rebuild at every site.

But SoftBank is not stopping there. The are requiring TD-LTE to be added to every single Sprint Network Vision site too. Every one. And then on top of that, they are committing to add lots more TD-LTE sites, in filling between sites in urban areas that have no 2600 signal, or would benefit from a stronger one.

And these are not just dreams of Sprint executives. These are concrete plans by our Japanese Overlords, who not only have the money to do it all, but have done exactly the same thing in Japan. I understand everyone's frustrations with the past. But this is not even the same company anymore, except in name.

Not even in name :)

But great post Rob. I for one welcome the change, and look forward to the New Sprint.

• Like 2

"SoftBank is putting TD-LTE 2600 on every single Clearwire WiMax site. They are now on 5,000 or so. They are trying to push up the deadline and may be able to get this done 1st quarter 2014"

Oh Please....yes yes yes!  I'll gladly give up my Wimax and take a bullet for the team even if it takes

a few months here in the Vegas area!!!

• Like 1

From what everyone is saying the future of Sprint is shining as bright as the sun. However I just have a 'dumb' question: Will all of this change expand their current network coverage or will it just strengthen their current coverage? I only ask because the biggest advantage of having AT&T over Sprint is just signal in more places, not data or voice just signal. I know AT&T's network mostly runs on 850 vs Sprint's 1900, their network has more layers to it (GSM -> EDGE->3G->HSPA+ -> LTE) vs (1X->EVDO->WiMAX->LTE), and has a larger footprint. When I had Sprint and traveled places I somehow found myself either on the edge of Sprint's network or Verizon roaming with the phone fighting for Sprint's network draining the battery very quickly. Would this also be by all of the improvements.  

From what everyone is saying the future of Sprint is shining as bright as the sun. However I just have a 'dumb' question: Will all of this change expand their current network coverage or will it just strengthen their current coverage? I only ask because the biggest advantage of having AT&T over Sprint is just signal in more places, not data or voice just signal. I know AT&T's network mostly runs on 850 vs Sprint's 1900, their network has more layers to it (GSM -> EDGE->3G->HSPA+ -> LTE) vs (1X->EVDO->WiMAX->LTE), and has a larger footprint. When I had Sprint and traveled places I somehow found myself either on the edge of Sprint's network or Verizon roaming with the phone fighting for Sprint's network draining the battery very quickly. Would this also be by all of the improvements.  

In a lot of areas, the roaming onto Verizon will be reduced, as Sprint will be deploying 800mhz 1x service on that band.

Man I don't know if your Wimax phone was screwed up but your assertions about Wimax are inaccurate.  I have and still currently using a Wimax device and yes while I agree the propagation characteristics suck indoors, it works perfectly fine outside AND in the car assuming you are within Wimax range.

I can't wait to test out LTE 2600 vs. Wimax 2600 since I know of areas where I drop Wimax signal all the time so I am curious how much further it can take me.  From what Robert is saying, LTE in general would give you about an extra -13 dBm RSSI vs. a Wimax signal and that sounds like its going to do wonders in terms of coverage over Wimax.  Also the HTC Evo 4G LTE is notorious for its LTE radio and I am not sure how much effort there was to fix it.  I hear that the HTC One LTE radio is much improved over the HTC Evo 4G LTE.  Also if you are at home, you should be using a wifi signal if you need to browse online.

If Verizon works for you then go for it.  To me Verizon is no longer an option for me because of the lack of individual plans.  Those Shared Everything plans are fine for those that don't use a lot of data and can share a 2 GB bucket with 2-3 other users but for individuals it sucks because 2 GB data is $60/month... :wall:.  Not to mention that Verizon is on tiered data plans which seem great because you have a ton of coverage now but I can see myself blowing through 2 GB/month.

At least AT&T still offers individual plans that don't want to be on their Mobile Share plans and I would take 3 GB for $30/month on ATT vs. 2 GB for $60/month on Verizon.

On Sprint, once Softbank really starts digging into Sprint's operations and strategy as Network Vision progresses, I want to be where they are.  I don't think Sprint announcing LTE 2600 on all 38K Sprint sites plus Clearwire sites was something that was feasible before Softbank.  Due to the new capital infusion and the aggressiveness of our Japanese overlords to catch up to the Big 2, it sounds like great news for the future.

• Like 3

Excellent explanation on 800 LTE not being ready yet & excellent post all around. The reason I personally think they are struggling is my market was officially announced November 2012. We are coming up to almost a year and while I have seen it grow from few towers to many it's still a long ways off. The coverage while better is still very inconsistent & spotty. I know a couple friends have been extremely loyal to Sprint that couldn't stand it anymore and jumped ship. I'm not one of those people but you can only tell someone so many times that change is coming. My home tower being screwed up for over a month now is just not acceptable to me, Sprint hasn't done a thing about it. Like I said constant data drops between 1X/3G/LTE, bouncing on & off 800 voice. The data is pretty much useless right now & if I use voice it just dumps calls. I have an old Sanyo 7050 which is a reception champion that is just as bad for voice. A tower being borked in an unusable state for over a month I don't consider smooth with no end in site. Calling into a CSR is pretty much worthless, they just type your zip in and say there is a lot of network vision upgrades that's about it. They schedule  a "follow up" call which half the time they never follow up anyway. Not really sure what I'm suppose to do about it at this point.

Man I don't know if your Wimax phone was screwed up but your assertions about Wimax are inaccurate.  I have and still currently using a Wimax device and yes while I agree the propagation characteristics suck indoors, it works perfectly fine outside AND in the car assuming you are within Wimax range.

I can't wait to test out LTE 2600 vs. Wimax 2600 since I know of areas where I drop Wimax signal all the time so I am curious how much further it can take me.  From what Robert is saying, LTE in general would give you about an extra -13 dBm RSSI vs. a Wimax signal and that sounds like its going to do wonders in terms of coverage over Wimax.  Also the HTC Evo 4G LTE is notorious for its LTE radio and I am not sure how much effort there was to fix it.  I hear that the HTC One LTE radio is much improved over the HTC Evo 4G LTE.  Also if you are at home, you should be using a wifi signal if you need to browse online.

I do use wi-fi at work & home (I have an HTC One) so the data hasn't bothered me that much since I'm on wi-fi alot but when your out it sucks when anyone else with another provider always has a better connection then you. I agree with you wimax worked perfect if you were in a good signal area. When your in a car, wi-max doesn't hand off to 3G so it would just dump. So yes although usable, in real world conditions such as moving in a car or going inside pretty much anywhere to me it was worthless. I'm not gonna stand outside somewhere to use data. Sure there are certain places or buildings where it's unrealistic to get service but with wi-max that was most places. Also having to manually toggle it was a huge flaw. Leave it on, it sucks your battery dry. The first time I tried wi-max on the original evo I pulled just over 10+ down at the time there was no LTE so it looked promising but once put into real world use I was disappointed. Sprint then quit building on the network here so major dead spots everywhere in the 694/494 loop which there shouldn't have been any.

My issue is this, tri-band only works with phones setup to receive them. Most everyone's phone now is not compatable with receiving LTE on 800mhz, or 2500mhz, but hopefully most can talk on 800mhz when it is updated.  I have asked Sprint to project when their new triband phones will come out but have yet to hear anything. I heard the new LG G2 may be coming out with triband, but since it is a locked down phone with no SD memory slot, or removable battery, that seems to be a bad purchase. The phones with non-removable batteries will be almost worthless after 2 year contract since the owner will pay a $200 battery replacement charge.  These locked down phones will make it to the landfills quicker as you can imagine.

My question, does anyone know when other phones are coming out with tri-bands?  Any specific phones?.  I have been waiting and struggling on the snail Sprint 3G here in central NC and am ready for the change? 

Edited by audiomusiclover

My issue is this, tri-band only works with phones setup to receive them. Most everyone's phone now is not compatable with receiving LTE on 800mhz, or 2500mhz, but hopefully most can talk on 800mhz when it is updated. I have asked Sprint to project when their new triband phones will come out but have yet to hear anything. I heard the new LG G2 may be coming out with triband, but since it is a locked down phone with no SD memory slot, or removable battery, that seems to be a bad purchase. The phones with non-removable batteries will be almost worthless after 2 year contract since the owner will pay a $200 battery replacement charge. These locked down phones will make it to the landfills quicker as you can imagine.

My question, does anyone know when other phones are coming out with tri-bands? Any specific phones?. I have been waiting and struggling on the snail Sprint 3G here in central NC and am ready for the change?

The LG G2 should be out before the end of September. The Note 3 and the Galaxy S4 Refresh should be out in October/November. It is unknown if the new iPhone 5S will include Triband LTE.

My issue is this, tri-band only works with phones setup to receive them. Most everyone's phone now is not compatable with receiving LTE on 800mhz, or 2500mhz, but hopefully most can talk on 800mhz when it is updated.  I have asked Sprint to project when their new triband phones will come out but have yet to hear anything. I heard the new LG G2 may be coming out with triband, but since it is a locked down phone with no SD memory slot, or removable battery, that seems to be a bad purchase. The phones with non-removable batteries will be almost worthless after 2 year contract since the owner will pay a $200 battery replacement charge.  These locked down phones will make it to the landfills quicker as you can imagine.

My question, does anyone know when other phones are coming out with tri-bands?  Any specific phones?.  I have been waiting and struggling on the snail Sprint 3G here in central NC and am ready for the change? 

Side note, I'm replacing the battery for an iPhone 4S, for $30, not sure where $200 comes into play.

• Like 1