Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just ordered the Note 3 from Best buy for $99 but they list the model number as SPHN900GYK is this right? i thought it was SM 900P?

I would also like to add that even though the phone as listed as a sprint device when you get down to the hotspot features it says 

Mobile hotspot capability to share your Internet connection
Add the optional AT&T hotspot service to your phone to share the Internet with up to 8 other Wi-Fi devices. Additional monthly charge may apply.

Note the part about AT&T.

EDIT: after like 20 minutes of digging on multiple websites i found a post way way back that google linked me to that stated the long SPHN900GYK is for the black samsung galaxy note 3. i was freaking out for a second thinking that best buy was going to send me like a T Mobile version or something lol.

Edited by stuckinohio1
  • Like 1

I love my note 2 and still use it on WiFi at home but I have a friend who has a ATT note 3 and he reports a number of issues and its 100% stock. Anyone here have to clear the cache once a week or the dialer takes forever to work? He also says updates on apps fail often and that the gallery app takes over 15 seconds to open with 150 pictures on the phone.

All his complaints have me reconsidering buying a note 4. He is a bit if an Apple fan boy so I would like some feedback from Note 3 users here before I make up my mind on the 4. It has the removable battery and microsd card slot I miss on the Nexus 5 but if the Note 3 was as buggy as Don says it wouldn't be worth risking getting the headaches.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I love my note 2 and still use it on WiFi at home but I have a friend who has a ATT note 3 and he reports a number of issues and its 100% stock. Anyone here have to clear the cache once a week or the dialer takes forever to work? He also says updates on apps fail often and that the gallery app takes over 15 seconds to open with 150 pictures on the phone.

All his complaints have me reconsidering buying a note 4. He is a bit if an Apple fan boy so I would like some feedback from Note 3 users here before I make up my mind on the 4. It has the removable battery and microsd card slot I miss on the Nexus 5 but if the Note 3 was as buggy as Don says it wouldn't be worth risking getting the headaches.

My Note 3 has none of those issues.  Very fluent and smooth.  The only complaint I have is that the KK 4.4.2 update degraded GPS performance.  Hopefully that is addressed in 4.4.4.  Your friend should probably perform a factory reset to cure the lag.  Most likely something he installed is causing the issues.  I am however going to wait before I purchase a Note 4 to see what the general consensus is. 

Anyone know exactly what is updated with 4.4.4?  Looked on the Sprint update site yesterday and no listing yet. 

Here is the supposed change list for 4.4.4 on the N3

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/08/android-4-4-4-update-should-be-rolling-out-for-sprints-samsung-galaxy-note-3-now/

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I just got my note 3 and it has 4.4.2 but when i click update it starts to download a 300+MB file. is this the update to 4.4.4? im looking to root this thing so should i wait before i download it?

I just got my note 3 and it has 4.4.2 but when i click update it starts to download a 300+MB file. is this the update to 4.4.4? im looking to root this thing so should i wait before i download it?

Yes it is 4.4.4. Towelroot still works so you are fine.

I have a tmo note 3 not a sprint one but basically it's golden. I haven't noticed any lag or misbehavior barring a very infrequent refusal to connect to any kind of cellular data once it looses a wifi signal (this has happened maybe 3 times in a year, a reboot fixes). When it was first released there were issues with wifi calling not working well due to the funky higher frequency audio sampling making you sound like alvin and the chipmunks but that got fixed quickly. It does eat battery if you use the screen on higher brightness, I got a zerolemon 10k battery for it which also has the added bonus of making it thicker as it did get uncomfortable to hold it was so thin. I'm not looking at the 4 because frankly it's a minor upgrade and the 3 is so darn fine I think short of it breaking, new band support or a change of carrier theres not much else they can make a phone do that would entice me to upgrade. 

One poorly performing app can make an entire phone unreliable so it is possible your friends experiences are related to something installed on his phone rather than the handset itself?

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if it was common for the Note 3 to not show any info other than signal strength in Signal check light? under provider all it says is N/A.  i also use an App called CDMA field test to map towers and it says something to the effect of "Base station location unknown".

I am running 4.4.4.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at maybe getting my Note back from a friend for a backup/android fix when I get bored with my iPhone. My only concern is the ridiculous amount of dropped calls on the note. Was this ever fixed?

My Note 3 is deactivated at the moment, since I went with a Tri Band device, but I did not ever have an issue with dropped calls.  Some people did though...

My Note 3 is deactivated at the moment, since I went with a Tri Band device, but I did not ever have an issue with dropped calls. Some people did though...

I have the 6 so I'm really liking having spark but I miss android sometimes. Guess I'll keep it off to the side unless I really start to hate my iPhone.

I have the 6 so I'm really liking having spark but I miss android sometimes. Guess I'll keep it off to the side unless I really start to hate my iPhone.

The new 6 and 6+ are sweet phones!

ok well i did a quick search on this but didnt find anything though im quite sure this has been discussed before.

I was messing around in my note 3s data screen and found under advanced "Band BC10" i clicked it and it said BC10 was disabled. i figured whatever and clicked it and it enabled it. luckaly it didnt kill my phones radio but it raises the question (for me atleast) what the heck is this even for?

ok well i did a quick search on this but didnt find anything though im quite sure this has been discussed before.

I was messing around in my note 3s data screen and found under advanced "Band BC10" i clicked it and it said BC10 was disabled. i figured whatever and clicked it and it enabled it. luckaly it didnt kill my phones radio but it raises the question (for me atleast) what the heck is this even for?

I could be wrong, but I think BC10 (Band Class 10) is used by Sprint for their "push to talk" service, like the old Nextel service. I think it is somewhere in the low 800 MHz frequency range.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can help.

EDIT: I found an article on the subject written by Phone Scoop. I was partially correct.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=480

I could be wrong, but I think BC10 (Band Class 10) is used by Sprint for their "push to talk" service, like the old Nextel service. I think it is somewhere in the low 800 MHz frequency range.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can help.

EDIT: I found an article on the subject written by Phone Scoop. I was partially correct.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=480

thats weird. i wonder why it was on this phone in the first place and obviously enabling it wont do anything now that iDEN has been shut off lol.

thats weird. i wonder why it was on this phone in the first place and obviously enabling it wont do anything now that iDEN has been shut off lol.

I think Sprint still has a direct connect option that you can add to your plan. Obviously the phone must be compatible.

I think Sprint still has a direct connect option that you can add to your plan. Obviously the phone must be compatible.

BC10 is CDMA 1X800 in smr spectrum. It has nothing to do with direct connect.