Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Are any of you rooted? I'm at 55% on my battery with close to 2 hours screen on time and I've been off the charger since 830 this morning . This is about half of my heavy use screen time so I'm pretty impressed that I still have a good charge and Google hasn't killed my phone yet.

I'm using greenify and I always keep my gps off. I think greenify is the big thing saving my battery.

• 2 weeks later...

To you guys experiencing freezing and side buttons not working, check your SD card. If it reads "Class 2" then that is your problem. These phones require Class 4 or more. You can verify the issue by taking the SD card out with the phone off and then booting it back up without the card installed. If your phone functions fine then you know you need to purchase a newer SD card.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Edited by fuunkychicken
  • Like 1

Are any of you rooted? I'm at 55% on my battery with close to 2 hours screen on time and I've been off the charger since 830 this morning . This is about half of my heavy use screen time so I'm pretty impressed that I still have a good charge and Google hasn't killed my phone yet.

I'm using greenify and I always keep my gps off. I think greenify is the big thing saving my battery.

Whatever was causing my battery drain is gone. I'm now at 3 days. 13 hours with 39% left. It's got about 1.5 hours of screen on time, 1 hour of Amazon Cloud streaming and 1.5 hours of voice calls, not to mention email and web surfing. I guess KK has finally settled down. I'm in awe!

To you guys experiencing freezing and side buttons not working, check your SD card. If it reads "Class 2" then that is your problem. These phones require Class 4 or more. You can verify the issue by taking the SD card out with the phone off and then booting it back up without the card installed. If your phone functions fine then you know you need to purchase a newer SD card. Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

New SD card was my issue. Only wish I wouldn't have done a factory reset before finding this out.

Was it the KK update that caused the issue? Mine was working fine previously.

New SD card was my issue. Only wish I wouldn't have done a factory reset before finding this out.

Was it the KK update that caused the issue? Mine was working fine previously.

Not too sure if it was the KK update, but like you said, a lot of people didn't start to see issues until the update. It's easy to dismiss the SD card as being reason for system slow downs so don't feel bad. Lots of people were in the same boat. Many probably even returned their Note 3 thinking it was defective.

Downloading a software update. Could be NC5 with Wifi calling...will keep you posted

*edit*

Was indeed NC5. Going to try out Wifi calling and see how it performs!

Edited by fuunkychicken

Downloading a software update. Could be NC5 with Wifi calling...will keep you posted

*edit*

Was indeed NC5. Going to try out Wifi calling and see how it performs!

I just got it as well. 43.00 MB. We'll see.......

Just received my note 3 from sprint with MJ4, i then updated to NAB and on to NC5, but what i noticed is I don't have a hot spot option toggle in settings- connections,like on my note 2, this phone is unrooted and stock.. is this something new ?

• Like 1

I too, just received the new 43.00mb up-date.

I had to do a full re-set after KK due to I had a few apps that were moving things around on my SD card. (I have read that KK changed how files are accessed and secured).

After that, things have been ok.......

Let's see what the "New" stuff offers......

Lateck,

Just received my note 3 from sprint with MJ4, i then updated to NAB and on to NC5, but what i noticed is I don't have a hot spot option toggle in settings- connections,like on my note 2, this phone is unrooted and stock.. is this something new ?

I just checked mine and I do have the hotspot toggle under settings>connections. The order is 1) WiFi calling, 2) WiFi, 3) Hotspot, 4) Bluetooth.

• Like 1

Thanks Chemist. I did not know that was there..... No instructions or information from Sprint about the software up-date....... Just what we learn here on the Inter-net. :-)

Lateck,

Hey guys, has the Note 3 reception issue been fixed on latest OTAs? My mother is looking at upgrading her phone soon and eyeing the Note 3 but she relies on call quality and battery life.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Hey guys, has the Note 3 reception issue been fixed on latest OTAs? My mother is looking at upgrading her phone soon and eyeing the Note 3 but she relies on call quality and battery life.Sent from my LG-LS980

I never experienced that issue with my Note 3. I also had a Note 3 back in October with a defective home button.. That sample didn't have reception issues either. I also own the LG G2. The N3 holds LTE much better than the G2. in my basement, the G2 falls back to 3G where the N3 stays on LTE.

Maybe it would be a good idea to check the Sprint community forums and see if those afflicted with bad Note 3 phones ever had their issues resolved with KK.

• Like 1

Hey guys, has the Note 3 reception issue been fixed on latest OTAs? My mother is looking at upgrading her phone soon and eyeing the Note 3 but she relies on call quality and battery life.Sent from my LG-LS980

Mine's been fixed since the first up-date.

KK has fixed nothing about this issue.

The latest up-date is a whole new bag of worms..... WiFi phone is good and bad.

( My two cents).

Lateck,

• 3 weeks later...

My GN3 just started dropping calls.  In 26 or so calls, I dropped 5 calls.  Two were while I was stationary at work.  I get a very good 1x800 signal at work about -65 dBm.

I've had the phone since December 31, 2013.  Never had a dropped call until this month.  I called Sprint, who told me that all the dropped calls were the fault of the handset. 

The very last dropped call was not logged in Sprint's system yet.  The CSA to whom I spoke was going to call me back last evening when the reason was logged in - of course, he never called me.

Short time length calls never drop, It's always during a long (20 minute...) important business call when this happens. 

Do we believe that the dropped calls are indeed the fault of the GN3?  The GN3 went 3 months without a single dropped call.  Could it in reality be Sprint's system as they upgrade?  I'm really baffled as to what to do.

If I send the device back to Samsung for inspection, we all know they won't find anything wrong with it.  There are no Sprint corporate stores near me - Just Shentel stores. I'm not really sure how to even test the handset to see if dropped calls are its fault.

Could this be caused by the KK update?

Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. 

I called Sprint tonight and was able to speak to a person named Marty who really knew her stuff.  She looked up all my dropped calls and did indeed find that they were all network related. 

That's fine.  During network upgrades there will be some short term pain for long term gain.  I would have really been upset if the problem were my Samsung GN3. 

The guy I spoke to the other night must not have known how to look up the information and blamed the entire issue on my handset. 

Marty explained to me where she was getting the tower data and what it all meant.  Very cool!

Problem solved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I purchased my N3, I went from 2 dropped calls a day.. Then when I updated my prl it went back to around a dozen a day... Sprint claims it is not the prl. Well then I ask what is it then? Everything was fine up until I did the prl update..

Edited by chris47

My upgrade is up and i am not to keen on the new Tri Band devices because they can not do data and voice/text at the same time. i assume since the GN3 is 1900MHz LTE only it can do SVLTE? if so i will probably get it post haste.

My upgrade is up and i am not to keen on the new Tri Band devices because they can not do data and voice/text at the same time. i assume since the GN3 is 1900MHz LTE only it can do SVLTE? if so i will probably get it post haste.

You are correct!  The GN3 is a singe band phone.  It does handle SV/LTE.  The TRI BAND devices won't do SV/LTE until VO/LTE is lit up.  You won't regret getting the GN3.  It's a great phone.  I also have an LG G2 which isn't the greatest at RF performance or sound performance for that matter.  I use my GN3 all over the Harrisburg area without issues of any kind.  As long as your in a good band 25 area, the GN3 will perform well for you.  I even have acceptable in-building performance on 1900 MHz.  Shentel maintains and operates the towers in the Harrisburg area.  The tower density is great.  Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I loved my Note 2 but went to a Nexus 5 instead of the Note 3 to get triband. I am considering a Note 4 but I am not sure about going back to Samsung with Knox. How has the whole root and Knox thing panned out on the 3?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My N3 has started to have some really laggy GPS. When navigation is on, it regularly will lag behind and seemingly lose signal, although it doesn't show that it's dropping GPS. then all of a sudden it will catch up and call out the last 2 turns it missed.

Also, it seems that the latest update to Sprint Connections Optimizer has started using a ton of battery life.

Anyone else see these 2 problems lately?

My N3 has started to have some really laggy GPS. When navigation is on, it regularly will lag behind and seemingly lose signal, although it doesn't show that it's dropping GPS. then all of a sudden it will catch up and call out the last 2 turns it missed.

Also, it seems that the latest update to Sprint Connections Optimizer has started using a ton of battery life.

Anyone else see these 2 problems lately?

GPS performance on the Note 3 after the KK update just isn't the same.  The Note 3 used to have an awesome GPS.  They really degraded it with Kit Kat. 

GPS performance on the Note 3 after the KK update just isn't the same.  The Note 3 used to have an awesome GPS.  They really degraded it with Kit Kat. 

Well at least that confirms it isn't just me.

GPS has been super wonky lately.

What about the battery life issue? Seen that lately?