Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

I highly doubt Google releases the new one as a 8gb option. 32gb is starting to be the norm so at the bare minimum I would expect 16gb. 

Even if the 16gb is $349, that's only $150 more than the $199 Sprint version. $150 more to be able to upgrade at anytime is worth it to me. Especially when I consider that the Nexus can be sold when the S5 comes out.

The 32 GB edition will not be the starting storage size.  If anything there will be a 16 GB and 32 GB version.  Even the LG G2 only has a 16 GB and 32 GB versions but the US carriers are opting to sell the 32 GB version only because they know customers want the larger storage size if there is no SD card.

Dear frequency fairy. It's me again. I know your probably tired of me asking and I hope it is within your power to help a poor lost cellular soul realize a world where sprint is on top and has a nationwide triband network that includes the note 3 in its triband line up of phones. If you make this happen I will forever be grateful, well at least for 2 years. Amen

Better start praying to the frequency fairy.

• Like 12

P.S. If you can not grant me a triband Galaxy Note 3 then grant us the almighty powers of the Nexus 5 in unlocked form with triband capabilities. I humbly ask you to consider my request oh powerful frequency fairy. I think I speak for all of us in saying you would be doing us a great service.

• Like 1

So, I was hoping some of you might explain your position to a more novice reader to the Sponsor forums.

I get that tri-band is supposed to boost signal for the LTE, and that I believe 800 has better range and building penetration and that 2600 is faster LTE.  Are you saying, though, that being uni-band on 1900 means I'm just straight not likely to get LTE in a building?  Or will it just be a diminished signal?

On top of that, is some of your concern that the 1900 band is going to be overloaded with use and therefor slower than the 800?

I guess my main reasons for why you guys feel this is such a dramatic issue is that I too am upgrading from an HTC Evo LTE (Worse phone decision I ever made) and I really was quite in love with the notion of a phablet.  I played with a few peoples Note 2 and deliberately waited for the Note 3 to use my upgrade for one of my lines.  I was quite excited about how powerful the phone was and love all the spec's with exception to this Tri-band issue.  

I don't really feel like I have it in me to wait for another phone, so do you really think I'll regret this purchase for the same reasons I regret my Evo LTE (terrible reception)?  Keep in mind that in my area (Omaha, NE) that 4g is just starting to trickle out.  But my main use for my data plan would be inside my work building...

I would say this as a fellow EVO LTE owner to get your hands on a galaxy note 2 and test how good LTE is in your area. If it is good enough for you then I would get the note 3. Yes sprints 1900 LTE is likely to slow down and building penetration is hit or miss depending on the downtilt and interference. 800mhz will not suffer the same limitations.

So, I was hoping some of you might explain your position to a more novice reader to the Sponsor forums.

I get that tri-band is supposed to boost signal for the LTE, and that I believe 800 has better range and building penetration and that 2600 is faster LTE. Are you saying, though, that being uni-band on 1900 means I'm just straight not likely to get LTE in a building? Or will it just be a diminished signal?

On top of that, is some of your concern that the 1900 band is going to be overloaded with use and therefor slower than the 800?

I guess my main reasons for why you guys feel this is such a dramatic issue is that I too am upgrading from an HTC Evo LTE (Worse phone decision I ever made) and I really was quite in love with the notion of a phablet. I played with a few peoples Note 2 and deliberately waited for the Note 3 to use my upgrade for one of my lines. I was quite excited about how powerful the phone was and love all the spec's with exception to this Tri-band issue.

I don't really feel like I have it in me to wait for another phone, so do you really think I'll regret this purchase for the same reasons I regret my Evo LTE (terrible reception)? Keep in mind that in my area (Omaha, NE) that 4g is just starting to trickle out. But my main use for my data plan would be inside my work building...

I would say this as a fellow EVO LTE owner to get your hands on a galaxy note 2 and test how good LTE is in your area. If it is good enough for you then I would get the note 3. Yes sprints 1900 LTE is likely to slow down and building penetration is hit or miss depending on the downtilt and interference. 800mhz will not suffer the same limitations.

Yeah, that's tough going.  Aside from the fact that the people I know with Note 2's either aren't local or aren't close enough to let me walk off with their phone, the LTE is really not out enough in my area to properly test.  I think in the Metro area we have maybe 5-7 towers active...  maybe.

I think it is reasonable for a consumer to expect to be able to use data indoors as there are many situations where you will not be at home or have access to wifi.

As regards triband, at least two possibilities present themselves.

1- this is a sku for regional cdma carriers who may have a roaming agreement with sprint and therefore need some of their bands rather than sprints actual sku.

2- this is sprints sku and it doesn't support triband either to reduce the cost, because it wanted the rf360 chip and they couldn't get the volume in time or because sprint didn't get satisfactory terms for it's own sku (again related to pricing).

Time will tell. I am not a fan of the secret squirrel approach, barring a miracle I am ordering the verizon note 3 later today. I think Sprints NV program is excellent and I look forward to using sprint in a couple of years time (when it actually gets close to being done in Hawai'i given the permits), but personally I'd rather not wait longer and Sprint hasn't made any noise about its plans (I still think Sprints a great carrier, this isn't an anti sprint rant :-) ).

Edit: just for giggles, given we are on the subject of the note 3 and fcc filings, it looks like verizon state their note only has lte on 700mhz yet their filing shows it on at least 700 + aws. Methinks that this may mean they will issue a software update to enable aws later.

I did have another thought as to Sprints choice, if that is their sku, perhaps they simple make more money on the lg g2 and wanted to make it more attractive, $100 less and triband and ois, makes for a decent argument for the g2 (unless you want the spen or a removeable battery like I do).

Oooh! I wouldn't order the Verizon GN3. It has the worst LTE EIRP testing numbers of any modern LTE device. So you will likely have a much poorer/slower experience on LTE than other VZW LTE dual band devices.

I was going to get the VZW GN3 for my Verizon line. But after seeing that, I'm looking for another VZW device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, that's tough going.  Aside from the fact that the people I know with Note 2's either aren't local or aren't close enough to let me walk off with their phone, the LTE is really not out enough in my area to properly test.  I think in the Metro area we have maybe 5-7 towers active...  maybe.

In your case, I would opt to get a triband LTE device.  Only problem is that the Note 3 is not one of them.  I suggest you wait to upgrade and if you want a phablet, keep your eye out for the HTC One Max.  If you don't mind a 5 inch smartphone then take a look at the LG G2 or the Nexus 5.  If you are adamant on Samsung and want to upgrade now, then you might to consider the Galaxy Mega 6.3 or GS4 mini.  If you are not in a rush and can wait until Spring 2014, then wait for the GS5.

Oooh! I wouldn't order the Verizon GN3. It has the worst LTE EIRP testing numbers of any modern LTE device. So you will likely have a much poorer/slower experience on LTE than other VZW LTE dual band devices.

I was going to get the VZW GN3 for my Verizon line. But after seeing that, I'm looking for another VZW device.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for saving me from that :-) Is that unique to the vzw note 3 or is the at&t note 3 better? Also I think you said elsewhere it was only the aws lte band which was poor or did I misunderstand (highly likely :-) )

Thanks for saving me from that :-) Is that unique to the vzw note 3 or is the at&t note 3 better? Also I think you said elsewhere it was only the aws lte band which was poor or did I misunderstand (highly likely :-) )

It is just the VZW GN3. And it's both the 750 and AWS band that's poor. The ATT version is fine. And I hate ATT, so it pains me to have to steer you away from the VZW GN3.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It is just the VZW GN3. And it's both the 750 and AWS band that's poor. The ATT version is fine. And I hate ATT, so it pains me to have to steer you away from the VZW GN3.

Seriously, why do that to a flagship phone ? :-) Perhaps the FCC were just holding it wrong ;-)

Looks like it's going to have to be at&t and frequent walks up the volcano to get a signal when I'm out Hana way. Thank you for saving me from an expensive mistake!

Seriously, why do that to a flagship phone ? :-) Perhaps the FCC were just holding it wrong ;-)

Looks like it's going to have to be at&t and frequent walks up the volcano to get a signal when I'm out Hana way. Thank you for saving me from an expensive mistake!

I don't know what the return policy is with VZW, since I'm a Sprint guy, but if it's 14 days, you may want to pick it up and try it in weaker signal areas and see how it does. EIRP numbers do not always equal real world performance. It's just that the VZW GN3 is so notably low, it causes me great pause without hearing real world performance feedback.

Have you talked with folks to find out how the ATT LTE coverage is in Hawaii.  I assume both Verizon and ATT have pretty good LTE coverage in Hawaii so you can't go wrong with either one.  If you have just an individual line, I would strongly suggest ATT since they still have individual plans.  Those Shared Everything plans on Verizon forced on individual lines is just pure sin!!!  Verizon should have kept their individual lines the standard a la carte format like ATT did.

I assume both Verizon and ATT have pretty good LTE coverage in Hawaii so you can't go wrong with either one.  If you have just an individual line, I would strongly suggest ATT since they still have individual plans.  Those Shared Everything plans on Verizon forced on individual lines is just pure sin!!!

Fornicating with either VZW or AT&T is pure sin.  Those two greedy, anti consumer oligopolistic companies are the spawn of the devil.

AJ

• Like 4

Fornicating with either VZW or AT&T is pure sin.  Those two greedy, anti consumer oligopolistic companies are the spawn of the devil.

AJ

True but the dude is in Hawaii which we all know isn't getting NV for awhile.  Don't know how Tmobile LTE is over there but even then they won't have indoor penetration.  I figured ATT will fit his needs until Hawaii steps up the game in Hawaii.

True but the dude is in Hawaii which we all know isn't getting NV for awhile.  Don't know how Tmobile LTE is over there but even then they won't have indoor penetration.  I figured ATT will fit his needs until Hawaii steps up the game in Hawaii.

I would go Wi-Fi only before I gave VZW or AT&T any money.  Signing up with one of the Twin Bells is giving them power and commiserating with evil.

AJ

• Like 3

If LTE is not an absolute necessity and you just want decent 3G, and you don't visit the mainland too often, Mobi PCS is not a bad option. Looks like the best phone they sell is the GS3, but you can flash a newer one over. It's $50 for unlimited everything.

Other than the Big Four I think they're the only other carrier in Hawaii, and it doesn't hurt to support the locals at least until Sprint finishes their upgrades.

I would go Wi-Fi only before I gave VZW or AT&T any money. Signing up with one of the Twin Bells is giving them power and commiserating with evil.

AJ

With that evil comes good cell service though. Sacrifices, I guess.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Here it is -- the long awaited article.  Read on, though I am not sure that you will enjoy.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-353-for-sprints-samsung-galaxy-note-3-one-is-the-loneliest-number/

AJ

• Like 8