How to find current Mhz band connection

I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can not find a screen, app, or menu that will tell me what frequency band I am connected to (800, 1900, etc). I like to force my phone to roam and I'm curious what frequency band I get, as well as knowing if/when I get Sprint SMR 800 1xRTT/LTE. 

When I had the hybrid iDen/PCS Motorola ic502 It would tell me right in the network menu. But this was a good 5 years ago and I haven't been able to find a phone that does this since.

I downloaded signalcheck pro and a handful of other signal apps and I still can't find this. I'm also running CyanogenMod 10.1 and I can't figure out how to get into my engineering screen to find it via the dial pad (or any other of those screens for that matter). 

Any insight or help would be awesome!  :D

I downloaded signalcheck pro and a handful of other signal apps and I still can't find this. I'm also running CyanogenMod 10.1 and I can't figure out how to get into my engineering screen to find it via the dial pad (or any other of those screens for that matter). 

Lose the alternative ROM, stick to a stock ROM, and you will get your engineering screens back.

AJ

SignalCheck will display 1X800 instead of 1XRTT if you are connected to an 800 MHz signal.  So, if you see 1XRTT assume you're connected to 1900. 

I believe also the band number is an indicator you can see on the engineering screens but I don't know which bands correspond to 800 off the top of my head.  I could be wrong though.

Stick with SignalCheck Pro, and I believe it has a feature that it will notify you if you connect to 800.

• Like 3

I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can not find a screen, app, or menu that will tell me what frequency band I am connected to (800, 1900, etc). I like to force my phone to roam and I'm curious what frequency band I get, as well as knowing if/when I get Sprint SMR 800 1xRTT/LTE. 

Hi Kyle, no need to go back to a stock ROM. You need the Sprint Diagnostics app, available from xda-developers here. The app requires root. The engineering screens are available on the Debug menu. There's a whole lot more, too.

Have fun!

John

*UPDATE*  I forgot to mention that you have to flash this from recovery, since it's a system app. The OP's link is dead, but you can download it from farther down in the message thread.

Band 10 - 800mhz SMR

Band 25 - Sprint LTE G-Block

Band 1 - PCS block (I believe)

Are we talking 3GPP, 3GPP2, or both?  One uses bands, the other, band classes.

AJ

Are we talking 3GPP, 3GPP2, or both?  One uses bands, the other, band classes.

AJ

Ah yes, my post is ambiguous, trying to just answer the question for the OP in a simplified way.

• Like 1

I'm also running CyanogenMod 10.1 and I can't figure out how to get into my engineering screen to find it via the dial pad

Another FYI: 

*#*#33284#*#* will get you to the Debug screen. The code is 777468. From their you can get to the engineering screens.

• Like 1

Hi Kyle, no need to go back to a stock ROM. You need the Sprint Diagnostics app, available from xda-developers here. The app requires root. The engineering screens are available on the Debug menu. There's a whole lot more, too.

Have fun!

John

*UPDATE* I forgot to mention that you have to flash this from recovery, since it's a system app. The OP's link is dead, but you can download it from farther down in the message thread.

Depending on your device, you may have trouble updating your PRL to one that will allow you to connect to the 800 MHz bands if you're not running a stock based ROM. I don't think it's possible to update a PRL from CM 10.1 on a Sprint GS3. If I'm not mistaken, one must backup your current setup, flash a stock ROM, do your PRL & profile updates, and then restore your nandroid backup. I don't think you can get the right PRL if you sit on a CM based ROM all the time ... at least not with a GS3. Not sure about other devices.

I don't think you can get the right PRL if you sit on a CM based ROM all the time ... at least not with a GS3. Not sure about other devices.

I'm not sure that's still a problem for CM10.1 - I have Profile and PRL updates in my Settings (GNex, not GS3). But in any case, there are many ways to update the PRL on an AOSP ROM. Sprint Diagnostics, from my message that you quoted, will do the job nicely. And it will even write a custom PRL if that's what you'd like to do.

Have a great evening!

John

• Like 1

I'm not sure that's still a problem for CM10.1 - I have Profile and PRL updates in my Settings (GNex, not GS3). But in any case, there are many ways to update the PRL on an AOSP ROM. Sprint Diagnostics, from my message that you quoted, will do the job nicely. And it will even write a custom PRL if that's what you'd like to do.

Have a great evening!

John

I'll give that a try on my GS3 next time I venture over to AOSP land. Thanks for the tip.

I'll give that a try on my GS3 next time I venture over to AOSP land. Thanks for the tip.

If you're already rooted, give it a try. It has a lot of features - access to the engineering screens, data & APNs, re-provision, LTE logs, etc. It's a very useful tool.

If you're already rooted, give it a try. It has a lot of features - access to the engineering screens, data & APNs, re-provision, LTE logs, etc. It's a very useful tool.

So for a Sprint Note 2, this app will update PRL, while on CM10.1?

So for a Sprint Note 2, this app will update PRL, while on CM10.1?

Hi Jef,

I can't answer specifically for the GNote2, since I don't own one. Here are the screenshots from my GNex:

2013-07-11%2010.41.22.png 2013-07-11%2010.41.34.png

Have a great day!

John

Hi Jef,

I can't answer specifically for the GNote2, since I don't own one. Here are the screenshots from my GNex:

Have a great day!

John

This only works on the gnex because the android base is designed to work with those functions. The cm maintainer for the note 2 has been trying for weeks to get those functions working in the note 2. If your base build doesn't include the functionality, then the app won't work, it is just calling those functions...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This only works on the gnex because the android base is designed to work with those functions. The cm maintainer for the note 2 has been trying for weeks to get those functions working in the note 2. If your base build doesn't include the functionality, then the app won't work, it is just calling those functions...

For Settings, yes. But what about the write PRL functionality? Flash it and give it a try. You won't know until you do.

Have a great day,

John

• 4 months later...

how do you get the debug unlock code I'm trying my MSL unlock code but apparently its different for the debug menu any suggestions? what problem can I imitate to get sprint to give it to me without rooting my phone?

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier today I was trying to figure this out from my iPhone... Where would I find this on the Field Test screen?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

iOS Engineering screen is accessed by dialing *3001#12345#* then call. If you're connected to LTE select the Serving Cell Info and the band will be listed (PCS is band 25, SMR is the elusive 26 and the 5s isn't capable of band 41). If you're not in an area with LTE you'll have an option for 1x and EVDO. The band won't be listed on 1x (it used to on the 4s, but for some reason it's excluded on the 5, 5c, & 5s). EVDO will show frequency and band.

iOS Engineering screen is accessed by dialing *3001#12345#* then call. If you're connected to LTE select the Serving Cell Info and the band will be listed (PCS is band 25, SMR is the elusive 26 and the 5s isn't capable of band 41). If you're not in an area with LTE you'll have an option for 1x and EVDO. The band won't be listed on 1x (it used to on the 4s, but for some reason it's excluded on the 5, 5c, & 5s). EVDO will show frequency and band.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk