LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Well with the Nexus 5 showing up in the Play Store earlier, I might not be getting this phone after all. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Or go like me... Why not both? :P

Got my dad the LG G2 preorder on BB (the hell for the $56 tax??!) and will be waiting to see the Nexus V.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem to fit the description of "tri". What you're saying looks more like "uni" - or is that "mono"? Is it time to edit the title of this thread? :(

how did you come up with that idea?

Hmmm... I could be wrong, but that doesn't seem to fit the description of "tri". What you're saying looks more like "uni" - or is that "mono"? Is it time to edit the title of this thread? :(

Please do not go through this again.  We have more than enough proof that it is triband LTE.  See link below for Technical Specs for Data Transmission.  Happy now?

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS980-g2

• Like 1

Please do not go through this again.  We have more than enough proof that it is triband LTE.  See link below for Technical Specs for Data Transmission.  Happy now?

Couple things:

Maybe I'm going to sound dumb, but why does it say "GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz", isn't Sprint CDMA, not GSM?

Also, the pics on LG's site and other posts here confirm there is no rear-facing mic. So we only have the 1 noise-canceling mic, and 1 normal mic. But the spec still lists the phone as having the Tracking Focus feature, which I figured would require the 3rd mic.

So with all of the leaks of the Galaxy S5 coming out on the 28th for $350 (16GB version). Did i make the right decision preordering the LG G2??  Thoughts?

Galaxy S5? You mean Nexus 5?

S5 will surley not be out till next year, spring time.

Yeah, my bad, i meant the nexus 5. 

Well I guess you can only hope that the Nexus 5  gets officially announced and maybe reviewed before your G2 order ships. Otherwise, if you really want to switch to the N5, you might be able to return the G2.

I think once we get an AOSP-style ROM for the G2, it'll be Nexus enough to not feel bad about not having an actual Nexus.

Yeah, my bad, i meant the nexus 5.

All a matter of preference. I for one like the larger battery life, larger screen, knock on, and the useful customizations and software additions of the LG G2. For me, vanilla android has not caught on for me yet even though I'm trying like heck to like it. Vanilla android takes away all the things I expect like eye tracking features and settings at my finger tips and in its place, gives me unintuitive controls (aka camera app controls).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

So far, I have only used stock Android 1.5, 2.1, 2.3 and HTC Sense 3.x with 2.3 and 4.0. I found that Sense has added nice features and polish without getting in the way of Android. I haven't messed with Touchwiz, so I can't judge how that affects the user experience. I played with a G2 for a little while and from what I saw, it didn't lag or cause any issues for me. Getting a stripped down Nexus just doesn't really factor in to me as anything important.

So far, I have only used stock Android 1.5, 2.1, 2.3 and HTC Sense 3.x with 2.3 and 4.0. I found that Sense has added nice features and polish without getting in the way of Android. I haven't messed with Touchwiz, so I can't judge how that affects the user experience. I played with a G2 for a little while and from what I saw, it didn't lag or cause any issues for me. Getting a stripped down Nexus just doesn't really factor in to me as anything important.

Well the big bonus to running a Nexus device is that you have almost unlimited official ROM support for things like Cyanogen, which add lots of nice features.

Anyone else notice that the official LG specs for the LS980 don't list 802.11ac? Only a/b/g/n  :unsure:

The other carrier variants list ac... I really hope this is just a typo...

Ah geez, here we go again...

Criminy, can people give it a rest and stop rehashing the same concerns over and over again?  Because this thread has become the song that never ends...

Instead, read my article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-350-bande-à-part-lg-g2-is-the-first-announced-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset/

The FCC OET authorizations were revealed over two months ago, and I wrote my article over a month ago.  The RF hardware contained within the G2 has been well established for weeks.  End of story.

Yes, certain LTE bands may be disabled at release.  Who knows?  No amount of ad nauseam discussion is going to determine nor alter that.

But on the Wi-Fi front, give me a break.  The G2 is 802.11ac Wi-Fi capable.

AJ

After reading the specs, looking over the device, I really can see using this phone as a work phone. My only ask from LG would be to have good battery life (+1 business day).

After reading the specs, looking over the device, I really can see using this phone as a work phone. My only ask from LG would be to have good battery life (+1 business day).

Well the G2 is pretty much King of stock battery life right now. Even compared to the new Droid Maxx

From the Engadget Review:

These numbers are great, but does it hold the title for longest battery life in the market? We would have said yes until this past week, when we discovered that the LG G2 -- with its smaller, 3,000mAh battery -- actually lasts longer in real-world use and our standard video rundown test. Both deliver amazingly long runtime, so it's likely you'd be happy with either, but as you'll see, battery life isn't the only thing you should be considering as you make your decision.

Edited by WhiteZero

Well the G2 is pretty much King of stock battery life right now. Even compared to the new Droid Maxx

That's awesome to hear... Can't wait to get it!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Yes, I've seen the FCC filing and the spec sheet, etc., but we're about 1,300 posts into this "First Tri-Band Device" thread, and no one is sure if when we receive our G2s that we will be able to pick up LTE data on anything other than b25. B41 is already broadcasting in my area and soon so will be b26, supposedly. I don't know what is special about tr-band capability if you are not allowed to use it. Also, I don't know what's wrong with speculating in this thread and where the sensitivity is coming from. This site is full of posts speculating about devices, networks, plans, etc. "We won't know anything until someone uses this device in the wild"? Why not? New information comes out about such things almost daily. Maybe someone in the know will confirm the tri-band status before the device ships. I'm curious as to why Sprint would remove reference to the G2's tri-band capabilities. So what that it would not register a response from most consumers? It's not like it's information that would scare anyone away, either.

could be a silly man?

: /. Really?

Yes, I've seen the FCC filing and the spec sheet, etc., but we're about 1,300 posts into this "First Tri-Band Device" thread, and no one is sure if when we receive our G2s that we will be able to pick up LTE data on anything other than b25. B41 is already broadcasting in my area and soon so will be b26, supposedly. I don't know what is special about tr-band capability if you are not allowed to use it. Also, I don't know what's wrong with speculating in this thread and where the sensitivity is coming from. This site is full of posts speculating about devices, networks, plans, etc. "We won't know anything until someone uses this device in the wild"? Why not? New information comes out about such things almost daily. Maybe someone in the know will confirm the tri-band status before the device ships. I'm curious as to why Sprint would remove reference to the G2's tri-band capabilities. So what that it would not register a response from most consumers? It's not like it's information that would scare anyone away, either.

: /. Really?

What I think you need to do is read through all the posts first before you rehash this question.  It doesn't matter the number of the posts.  That is irrelevant.  I have been very active in trying to gather information for this community and I have provided information to show that triband LTE can be activated (see link below).

Since the device is not available for sale yet, we have to wait until near launch date to be able to verify this.  What is wrong with waiting?  Perhaps near launch date we might be able to verify this but make no mistake about it that the device is capable of supporting triband LTE whether that is at launch or very shortly afterwards.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4099-lg-g2-the-first-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset-was-lg-optimus-g2/?p=218073