LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

So what are we looking at here? Sure, you can analyze FCC data all day, but if there isn't software support for ac, that hardware is useless. I think it's still a legitimate concern until someone confirms it's working on a device in their hand.

Are we not seeing it in the literature because the support in-ROM is still half-baked or what

There is firmware support for 802.11ac.  An FCC authorized lab produced measurements for it.

Let me put it this way.  This thread is on notice.  It has run its course and may be closed soon because the questions just go around in circles.  What has become "half baked" is the discussion.  If you want that sort of hearsay and amateur observation, go to XDA.

But S4GRU has long since provided the facts that need be known.  Once the G2 is in hand, we will open a users thread.  And then any actual limitations can be discussed with certainty, not speculation.

AJ

• Like 4

There is firmware support for 802.11ac.  An FCC authorized lab produced measurements for it. Let me put it this way.  This thread is on notice.  It has run its course and may be closed soon because the questions just go around in circles.  What has become "half baked" is the discussion.  If you want that sort of hearsay and amateur observation, go to XDA. But S4GRU has long since provided the facts that need be known.  Once the G2 is in hand, we will open a users thread.  And then any actual limitations can be discussed with certainty, not speculation. AJ

We are posting questions and bringing up odd discrepancies as pertains to the topic of this thread. If you rather just have this website only post facts to be read and no extra discussions, perhaps Robert should abandon the message board format of this site and restructure s4gru.com as purely a site composed of articles, documents and maps. I do believe that is similar in format to "The Wall", unfortunately it doesn't get updated too frequently and I see that format leading to a rather quiet and uninteresting place to visit.

• Like 2

ok so WTF is it tri band out of the box or do you have to tweak it???

and really as long as it is basic wifi...are you really worried about the AC part of it??

If you have your MSL code, you can manually enable LTE bands 26 and 41 and this was confirmed to be true in the XDA thread below.

However we still need confirmation once people have devices activated on the Sprint network if manually enabling LTE bands 26 and 41 truly allow you to use those LTE networks or whether we truly need a firmware update to enable LTE bands 26 and 41.  Check out the XDA thread below and see the screenshot as proof.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46351750&postcount=26

ok so WTF is it tri band out of the box or do you have to tweak it???

and really as long as it is basic wifi...are you really worried about the AC part of it??

I am I have a AC router and I would like my phone to support it

What the hell are you guys doing on your phone that requires more than a 150 mbit handshake rate?

Chuck Norris has a 150 GB/s handshake.

I don't really have a use for it, it was just something that struck me as odd because I was sure I read that it supported wireless AC from the FCC write up.

• Like 1

If you have your MSL code, you can manually enable LTE bands 26 and 41 and this was confirmed to be true in the XDA thread below.

However we still need confirmation once people have devices activated on the Sprint network if manually enabling LTE bands 26 and 41 truly allow you to use those LTE networks or whether we truly need a firmware update to enable LTE bands 26 and 41.  Check out the XDA thread below and see the screenshot as proof.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46351750&postcount=26

Excuse my ignorance.....huh???     :blink:  :blink:

msl??

while i am sure i will be posting hows and whys when it comes in....as SLC market seems to be hot with 41...soooo i should be able to post my thoughts on the 2 bands (well 41 which is up, and 26 should be in full bloom soon)

in the mean time bear with me on some of the jarggin  :tu:  :tu:

I am I have a AC router and I would like my phone to support it

...ok but routers are backwards compatiable right???

so then i guess you have to choose....

band 41 which could and should be less clogged in the immediate future, and works while you are out and about....

OR

AC which is for the most part only good while at home.....which you should have a PC to use for anything super important enough to need those speeds...

just saying...in the future...sure...but for now   <_<  <_<

Chuck Norris has a 150 GB/s handshake.

I don't really have a use for it, it was just something that struck me as odd because I was sure I read that it supported wireless AC from the FCC write up.

so does (as  i learned last night) 

i bald eagle.....well more like 1500.... :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

msl??

while i am sure i will be posting hows and whys when it comes in....as SLC market seems to be hot with 41...soooo i should be able to post my thoughts on the 2 bands (well 41 which is up, and 26 should be in full bloom soon)

Not to be rude, but there are certain things that can be easily obtainable with some research on your own:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+an+msl+code

• Like 1

...ok but routers are backwards compatiable right???

so then i guess you have to choose....

band 41 which could and should be less clogged in the immediate future, and works while you are out and about....

OR

AC which is for the most part only good while at home.....which you should have a PC to use for anything super important enough to need those speeds...

just saying...in the future...sure...but for now   <_<  <_<

Name a laptop that supports wifi ac or 5ghz frequencies for that matter. My phone is faster than my laptop 99% of the time because where I live the homes are very close together and every and there momma is on the 2.4ghz frequency. Not only do I get more range from my 5ghz band on my phone but the speeds are way better and more consistent. Wifi AC not only increases the speed even more but increases the range by alot. It might not be useful to some people to to me it is.

msl??

MSL = Master Subsidy Lock.  The MSL 6 digit code allows you to make changes to various engineering settings that are on your phone and one of the options is LTE Band settings.  The MSL code has been in use for a long time and is specific to each device.  You can't use another person's MSL code to unlock the settings on your phone.

There are various ways to get your MSL code such as through Sprint chat/phone or Android apps that can read the MSL code in your device.  For my Photon 4G, I used a program called CDMA workshop to be able to extract your MSL code that is specific to your device.  I hear the easiest way to get your MSL code nowadays is to call into Sprint and tell them that you are a developer and you need the MSL code to modify some changes to your phone.

Well, if the LG G2 thread wants to just gab on and on, it may be dismayed to know that a tri band Samsung Galaxy S4 made itself known today.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

AJ

well there ya go....you explained the reason why you need it....

now you want 41 to???

Not me. The only site I have next to me is a wimax protection site in this city. I know better than to think that I will see band 41 here anytime sooner than 2 to 3 quarter next year so I would prefer to have Wifi Ac in the mean time.

Well, if the LG G2 thread wants to just gab on and on, it may be dismayed to know that a tri band Samsung Galaxy S4 made itself known today.

AJ

It still doesn't decrease my level of enthusiasm for the LG G2 that I preordered. It may be a nice phone for Samsung people, but I really like what LG has come up with. Hopefully though, with another tri-band option, it will allow Sprint to keep giving their customers the best experience on their new network.

• Like 2

well lets hope your right.....because i have been a pretty happy samsung user, till i found the note 3 wasnt going to have triband :td:  :td:

before was a moto photon that was awesome...until they didnt support it like they were suppose to

before was a 1st gen galaxy...uh ok, but had tons of issues which they have fixed...

anyway, lets hope this G2 is good

Not me. The only site I have next to me is a wimax protection site in this city. I know better than to think that I will see band 41 here anytime sooner than 2 to 3 quarter next year so I would prefer to have Wifi Ac in the mean time.

so are/were you looking at this phone, or just putting your 2 bits in??

just curious???

AJ

Thanks for the article but at this point, I am committed to the LG G2.  The reviews have convinced me to stay with the LG G2.  I am pretty sure this GS4 version will have the same exact specs like the original GS4 like the Snapdragon 600, 2 GB RAM, etc, 13 MP cam with Digital Image Stabilization, same 2600 maH battery, etc.

ok welp, after sifting through things to try and get the msl on my note 2 (just so i know what i was looking for) they all seem out dated...

WHICH means i will be asking here....because for my little brain...xda seems to scattered about, and the ads all over give me a headache....i tried it before every so often....and its still the same

ok welp, after sifting through things to try and get the msl on my note 2 (just so i know what i was looking for) they all seem out dated...

WHICH means i will be asking here....because for my little brain...xda seems to scattered about, and the ads all over give me a headache....i tried it before every so often....and its still the same

Just call Sprint or ask in Sprint chat like I advised you to.  The Sprint CSRs have access to the information to tell you your MSL code.