LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Does this help in restoring faith in the triband LTE?

The service manual for the LS980 shows triband LTE support.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4099-lg-g2-the-first-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset-was-lg-optimus-g2/?p=207703

XDA link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2437403

I sure hope your right. I'm dying to get off this EVO LTE I'm even considering a note 3 with galaxy gear at this point. But I've seen clear TD work going on with my own eyes so that's the only thing that keeps me from getting the note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I sure hope your right. I'm dying to get off this EVO LTE I'm even considering a note 3 with galaxy gear at this point. But I've seen clear TD work going on with my own eyes so that's the only thing that keeps me from getting the note 3.

Have I ever led you astray little sheep.

• Like 1

Well we won't know that until we can see the user guide from the Sprint G2 that says triband LTE.

I can't find anything in the Sprint G2 User Guide that I downloaded from mylgphones.com that indicates what LTE frequencies are compatible with the device. There may be something in the service manual, but I don't know if newboyx has access to that.

Lack of tri-band LTE is a non starter for one looking to join Sprint and take advantage of their growing network with this flagship smartphone.

Sprint LG G2 User Manual has been posted for those interested in the link below.  

It shows the new 4GLTE icon on pg. 20 of the pdf file.  It kinda looks similar to the Note 3 4GLTE icon.  Either way I wonder if we can still modify it to use ATT, Tmobile or Verizon's 4G LTE icon.

http://www.mylgphones.com/sprint-lg-g2-lg-ls980-user-manual-guide.html

• Like 1

I can't find anything in the Sprint G2 User Guide that I downloaded from mylgphones.com that indicates what LTE frequencies are compatible with the device. There may be something in the service manual, but I don't know if newboyx has access to that.

Lack of tri-band LTE is a non starter for one looking to join Sprint and take advantage of their growing network with this flagship smartphone.

Don't worry about it, even if they aren't there at first they can be enabled at any time since the FCC approved them.

Interesting...I scanned through the User Manual but none of the pages list the specs of the phone.  I don't know if you saw my previous posts about the LG LS980 service manual draft was published.  

Download the LG LS980 service manual and look on pg. 6 of the PDF.  It shows all 3 LTE bands (B25, B26 and B41).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2437403

Interesting...I scanned through the User Manual but none of the pages list the specs of the phone. I don't know if you saw my previous posts about the LG LS980 service manual draft was published. Download the LG LS980 service manual and look on pg. 6 of the PDF. It shows all 3 LTE bands (B25, B26 and B41).http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2437403

I'll take your word for it, but I saw that the xda member posted that this was not the final service manual, but an early draft. It probably is triband but you know, hope for the best - prepare for the worst.

Don't worry about it, even if they aren't there at first they can be enabled at any time since the FCC approved them.

so you think the proper radios will be on board but possibly disabled and confident there will be an update to wake them? Edited by dParis

I'll take your word for it, but I saw that the xda member posting that this was not the final service manual, but an early draft. It probably is triband but you know, hope for the best - prepare for the worst.so you think the proper radios will be on board but possibly disabled and confident there will be an update to wake them?

We already know that they're there, as far as being enabled, I don't know but if they're already on board why not use them?

I'll take your word for it, but I saw that the xda member posted that this was not the final service manual, but an early draft. It probably is triband but you know, hope for the best - prepare for the worst.so you think the proper radios will be on board but possibly disabled and confident there will be an update to wake them?

The only reason why it is assumed an "early draft" is because the internal storage said the phone was 16 GB + 32 GB SD card slot of which we know there is no SD card slot on LG G2 except for the Korean version.

The FCC documents showed prior to the shutdown that the phone itself has the proper antennas, filters, preamps, etc to support B26 (800 MHz) and B41 (2500 MHz) LTE.  This means it has been authorized by the FCC to broadcast those frequencies from the phone.  If anything it could be firmware locked initially by Sprint but I expect even if this is the case that this is only temporary until they feel confident that the network is ready to unlock the other two LTE bands.

Even if you look at the service manual for this phone that I posted and look at the PCB board pics, it shows the hardware on the actual board of where the filters/antennas are.

At this point the best proof is to have others buy the phone on launch day and show that it can receive LTE 2600 on the LG G2.

I'm probably going to start the hunt soon now that Best Buy is getting demo units in. See which store will sell me it early. :P

I'm going to start looking at my local Best Buy....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

205 page user manual and not a single spec page. This is the LTE icon for anyone interested who doesn't want to bother downloading the entire manual.

• Like 1

Guys, the official training video from LG sent out to sprint store employees spends a bit of time talking about it being triband. I really wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 13

205 page user manual and not a single spec page. This is the LTE icon for anyone interested who doesn't want to bother downloading the entire manual.

http://s4gru.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif 2013-10-08_07-12-40.png

I don't think that really shows off my LTE epeen enough to be seen in the next county. Plus it should be in lots of colors or have MichaelBaySplosions or something because tribandz! Now AT&T's, which looks like a recycled logo from a circa 2004 failed social networking site, is da bomb.

I don't think that really shows off my LTE epeen enough to be seen in the next county. Plus it should be in lots of colors or have MichaelBaySplosions or something because tribandz! Now AT&T's, which looks like a recycled logo from a circa 2004 failed social networking site, is da bomb.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, I'm going to inverse it and put the data in and out icons in the bottom, also replace the 6 signal icons with the international 5. ;)

Yeah, I'm going to inverse it and put the data in and out icons in the bottom, also replace the 6 signal icons with the international 5. ;)

Is it hard to inverse the arrows and the icon placement?

Is it hard to inverse the arrows and the icon placement?

Nah - They're both likely 50x50 pixels, or 75x75, just moving the arrows from the top of the image to the bottom, and moving the 4G LTE icon from the bottom to the top.  It'll look much better imo. 

EDIT: They're probably 5 separate images.

One for data in, no data out.

One for data out, no data in.

One for neither data in or data out.

One for both active data in and data out.

Then, of course the 4G LTE icon.

All of these images overlap on the status bar, but only two are active at a time. (One data arrows image, and the other 4G icon.)

Nah - They're both likely 50x50 pixels, or 75x75, just moving the arrows from the top of the image to the bottom, and moving the 4G LTE icon from the bottom to the top.  It'll look much better imo. 

EDIT: They're probably 5 separate images.

One for data in, no data out.

One for data out, no data in.

One for neither data in or data out.

One for both active data in and data out.

Then, of course the 4G LTE icon.

All of these images overlap on the status bar, but only two are active at a time. (One data arrows image, and the other 4G icon.)

Thanks for the info about both images being either 50x50 pixels or 75x75 pixels. 

However when I looked at the current way to edit the 4G icon in the Themes forum section in the link below for other phones all you have to do is rename the Sprint 4G png file to something else and rename the 4G png of your choice (Verizon, Tmobile, ATT) to the exact name that Sprint is looking for and save.  But this didn't involve reversing the icon placement since the 4G icon was always on top and the arrows were always on the bottom. 

With the G2, it is the inverse with the 4G icon now on bottom and arrows now on top.  I am thinking there must be an additional file that you need to edit that current lists in the status bar to place the arrows icon on the top and the 4G icon on the bottom. 

So my main question is where else do I need to edit because I don't think the  "res\drawable-xhdpi" folder has it because that folder contains only the png files for the icons.  Let me know if you still don't understand what I am trying to ask.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3074-change-4g-symbol-on-android-devices/page-6

• Like 1

Thanks for the info about both images being either 50x50 pixels or 75x75 pixels. 

However when I looked at the current way to edit the 4G icon in the Themes forum section in the link below for other phones all you have to do is rename the Sprint 4G png file to something else and rename the 4G png of your choice (Verizon, Tmobile, ATT) to the exact name that Sprint is looking for and save.  But this didn't involve reversing the icon placement since the 4G icon was always on top and the arrows were always on the bottom. 

With the G2, it is the inverse with the 4G icon now on bottom and arrows now on top.  I am thinking there must be an additional file that you need to edit that current lists in the status bar to place the arrows icon on the top and the 4G icon on the bottom. 

So my main question is where else do I need to edit because I don't think the  "res\drawable-xhdpi" folder has it because that folder contains only the png files for the icons.  Let me know if you still don't understand what I am trying to ask.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3074-change-4g-symbol-on-android-devices/page-6

It's fairly simple.  If you were to send me your systemUI and a list of changes you wanted - as long as it's PNG edits (no XML/smali like moving the clock to the left side!!) then I can do it within 5-10 minutes.

But the S4GRU icon that is in that thread is likely sized to 720p resolution so it'd look dinky on a 1080p screen.  I'd have to resize or simply remake the icon from scratch with it being properly sized.  I themed a lot under an alias over at XDA and have been theming privately for awhile now.

First thing I'll do is replace the ICS-Like signal bars (they're getting old imo) and inverse the 4G/data icons. :P  Might also change clock color to match battery.  Seems like that grey is out of place.  The Optimus G Pro has the clock colored and it looks nice.

It's fairly simple.  If you were to send me your systemUI and a list of changes you wanted - as long as it's PNG edits (no XML/smali like moving the clock to the left side!!) then I can do it within 5-10 minutes.

But the S4GRU icon that is in that thread is likely sized to 720p resolution so it'd look dinky on a 1080p screen.  I'd have to resize or simply remake the icon from scratch with it being properly sized.  I themed a lot under an alias over at XDA and have been theming privately for awhile now.

First thing I'll do is replace the ICS-Like signal bars (they're getting old imo) and inverse the 4G/data icons. :P  Might also change clock color to match battery.  Seems like that grey is out of place.  The Optimus G Pro has the clock colored and it looks nice.

When I get my G2, I'll be in touch.  I know you listed a few things that you wanted to do so I'll be curious what it looks like when you post a screenshot of your new status bar.  I don't want to customize it to a S4GRU icon.   I want to keep the status bar as much stock as possible.

Basically all I really want to do is just reverse the order of the 4G and arrows placement with 4G icon on top and arrows on bottom (like you do) and either leave the stock Sprint 4GLTE icon or switch to the Verizon 4G LTE icon on the status bar.  Perhaps I might also want to switch international 5 instead of the 6 signal bars but I'll have to see first when you modify it and post a screenshot.