LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Guys, the official training video from LG sent out to sprint store employees spends a bit of time talking about it being triband. I really wouldn't worry.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Interesting.  I guess LG really wants to tell Sprint employees to market triband LTE heavily as they should be.  I really hope the LG G2 becomes a success on Sprint not only because of triband LTE but also to give LG the confidence that they can compete in high end smartphone space with better Android software support to retain customers.

So I just stopped at the local corporate sprint store to ask about the LG G2. I asked if the demo was in the store yet, he said nope not yet. Then he proceeded to tell me that it probably won't be released until Q4. I'm like...ummm aren't we in q4, also it goes on presale this FRIDAY!! They didn't even know that. He looked it up online there and was like, "Wow, you're right!" It even comes with a free case if you pre-order....smh....apparently south Florida stores are kept sheltered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So I just stopped at the local corporate sprint store to ask about the LG G2. I asked if the demo was in the store yet, he said nope not yet. Then he proceeded to tell me that it probably won't be released until Q4. I'm like...ummm aren't we in q4, also it goes on presale this FRIDAY!! They didn't even know that. He looked it up online there and was like, "Wow, you're right!" It even comes with a free case if you pre-order....smh....apparently south Florida stores are kept sheltered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I would give that Sprint rep the benefit of the doubt.  Even one of the posters earlier who works for Sprint said they just got the demo unit within the last 24 hours and the training video today so they are not up to speed.  I am sure the training is rolled out in phases and maybe his store didnt' get the training materials yet. Besides I don't think they are allowed to comment on your question anyways other than to give you what is already public knowledge nor can they setup or let you play with the demo unit anyways.

I would give that Sprint rep the benefit of the doubt.  Even one of the posters earlier who works for Sprint said they just got the demo unit within the last 24 hours and the training video today so they are not up to speed.  I am sure the training is rolled out in phases and maybe his store didnt' get the training materials yet. Besides I don't think they are allowed to comment on your question anyways other than to give you what is already public knowledge nor can they setup or let you play with the demo unit anyways.

I figured as much...But wasn't there a press release on the Pre-Sale dates or was that just "Insider Information?" 

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Very limited time with it today. Obviously the device is not activated so I can't do to much as far as band selection and such. Also I don't have the MSL. Nothing in the quick start guide about LTE bands. On the plus side, the phone now permanently resides in my demo cabinet. I should have plenty of play time with it next time I am killing time. Hopefully Thursday provides that opportunity.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 13

Very limited time with it today. Obviously the device is not activated so I can't do to much as far as band selection and such. Also I don't have the MSL. Nothing in the quick start guide about LTE bands. On the plus side, the phone now permanently resides in my demo cabinet. I should have plenty of play time with it next time I am killing time. Hopefully Thursday provides that opportunity.

I think that just relieved ALOT of folks on here!  :)

• Like 1

OMG Band Priority.  I'm in heaven.  WANT!

EDIT: thanks for providing us with this info.  

• Like 1

Doesn't the Note 3 also have that screen that shows a band 26 and band 41 selection?

Yes, it does.  But if it has the radios, they aren't active because they didn't pass FCC.

We think it's Galaxy Mega OS ported to the Note 3 and they just left that menu in there.

OMG Band Priority.  I'm in heaven.  WANT!

EDIT: thanks for providing us with this info.  

What is also odd is that on the Note 3, it had the LTE Enabled, B26 LTE Enabled, B41 LTE Enabled options as well.  But the G2 also has the Band Priority option which is very key for those that are in the know. 

If it truly allows us to decide which band is highest priority first (won't know until the phone is activated), this will really help us with finding out B26 LTE when it starts rolling out and finding out B41 LTE in particular markets that are launched now.

• Like 1

What is the dialer code to access that engineering menu to the LTE bands?

Newboyx do you live in an area where band 41 is already active? Thanks for pics!

Newboyx do you live in an area where band 41 is already active? Thanks for pics!

No. I live in the Indianapolis market.

##data#

OHH..haha I guess I could have guessed that.  I was reading that LG had a secret hidden menu where you type in something like

3845#*(model number)#.  I guess in this case 3845#*980#.

What sim card is supported on it?

USIM or CSIM?

I am not entirely sure how to check that. Any input and I will see what I can find out .

I am not entirely sure how to check that. Any input and I will see what I can find out .

Well the iPhone 5S and 5C are using the new CSIM card system where you can hot swap LTE devices on the fly like Verizon does since all the hardware ID info and CDMA info is stored on the CSIM sim card.  I guess one way you can find out is to ask if the LG G2 will be activated on the sim card the same way as the iPhone 5S/5C.

Well the iPhone 5S and 5C are using the new CSIM card system where you can hot swap LTE devices on the fly like Verizon does since all the hardware ID info and CDMA info is stored on the CSIM sim card. I guess one way you can find out is to ask if the LG G2 will be activated on the sim card the same way as the iPhone 5S/5C.

Unfortunately, I am not willing to test this. I have no desire to attempt to activate a phone this far away from the street date.

I apologize for my noobieness, but I'm unsure about what I'm seeing. Will the general consumer be able to activate bands 26 & 41 with simple toggles or with this require rooting or "going under the hood" in some other way? Also, does the battery take a hit when all three bands are enabled?

Okay, here is the scoop.  The G2 received FCC authorization for tri band LTE, but authorization does not mean that all capabilities must be utilized.  In the end, Sprint has opted to disable band 26 LTE 800 and band 41 TD-LTE 2600 because it does not want to hurt the Galaxy Note 3's feelings.

AJ

I'm assuming this is sarcasm..:)