LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Yeah, I'm hoping Sprint doesn't do what they did with the s3 - start selling the 16gb edition but have limited stock on the 32, and take FIVE EVER to restock.

"Five ever" like one more than Forever?

• Like 1

Woah... I've never been a big backer for amazing camera on a smartphone, but as someone who loves 60 fps in video games, (and as one of the few who enjoyed the 48 fps in the Hobbit), I am thoroughly impressed by the 1080p60 recording capabilities of the phone. I was originally set on the Nexus 5, but 1080p60 recording may convince me to pick this up instead. But man... file sizes are going to be huge. The sample video on Anandtech has the 60 fps video at 93.8 MB for 26 seconds of footage, which is around 3.6 MB/s. Holy crap. That's not even streamable as my home ISP (AT&T Uverse) maxes out at 20 Mbps or around 2.5 MB/s.

Edited by metayoshi

Woah... I've never been a big backer for amazing camera on a smartphone, but as someone who loves 60 fps in video games, (and as one of the few who enjoyed the 48 fps in the Hobbit), I am thoroughly impressed by the 1080p60 recording capabilities of the phone. I was originally set on the Nexus 5, but 1080p60 recording may convince me to pick this up instead. But man... file sizes are going to be huge. The sample video on Anandtech has the 60 fps video at 93.8 MB for 26 seconds of footage, which is around 3.6 MB/s. Holy crap. That's not even streamable as my home ISP (AT&T Uverse) maxes out at 20 Mbps or around 2.5 MB/s.

Yeah, If a camera is someone important to you, I would avoid the Nexus as they have yet to make a good one. Also, assuming you are on Sprint, the Nexus probably won't have the engineering screens that are important to a lot of people in here.

Because it is always best to arrive fashionably late to let people know how important you are.

But what is troubling is that the Oct 11th date is only for preorders and not the actual release date.  Even if Sprint started selling the LG G2 on Oct 11th, it would still be a month behind Verizon/AT&T and 2.5 weeks later than Tmobile.  The Sprint version looks like it will be set to release in November like last year.

Sprint such fail.  Why are they releasing the LG G2 so late?

Why does a month matter?  Are you just that impatient?  Subs are not going to join or leave Sprint en masse over the LG G2 release date.

AJ

I thought that was already more or less confirmed earlier in this thread from a couple of sources. I wish it would be earlier, too, but chances are likely I will end up with another phone other than the g2 since my upgrade was up a few months ago and my phone is dying fast. Hopefully the Note 3, S4 mini or Nexus 5 will be out sooner than November.

Why does a month matter?  Are you just that impatient?  Subs are not going to join or leave Sprint en masse over the LG G2 release date.

AJ

Personally I don't care about the LG G2 because I don't plan to get it anyways as of now and certainly don't care about customer growth with the LG G2 to draw Sprint customers in the masses.  Its not about that.  I don't care at all about drawing in more customers.  Its more of the current Sprint customers who were thinking of getting the LG G2 but now might flock to other phones such as TheDave pointed out in his case.  While I don't have a strong inclination to use my upgrade on the LG G2 atm, I do have an upgrade (been waiting since June) and my target device right now is the Galaxy Note 3. However the Note 3 is slated to be an early October release based on the release dates of the other carriers, although unconfirmed with Sprint, but assuming the Sprint Note 3 will be released first week of October,  I still would like the opportunity to evaluate the LG G2 if possible to make sure I do some due diligence of all flagship smartphones before making my decision.  I am definitely not waiting until November to evaluate the LG G2.

You might not think an extra 1-2 months matter but the reality is that the actual release date is going to be way longer than a month since Oct 11 is just for preorders.  The average customers do have short term memories and will move on especially if the LG G2 arrives around the same time as the Nexus 5 or a triband GS4.

Dumb question: Without SVDO/SVLTE, would recieving a call just boot you off of data while on the call, or would being on LTE block the call entirely?

Personally I don't care about the LG G2 because I don't plan to get it anyways as of now and certainly don't care about customer growth with the LG G2 to draw Sprint customers in the masses.  Its not about that.  I don't care at all about drawing in more customers.  Its more of the current Sprint customers who were thinking of getting the LG G2 but now might flock to other phones such as TheDave pointed out in his case.  While I don't have a strong inclination to use my upgrade on the LG G2 atm, I do have an upgrade (been waiting since June) and my target device right now is the Galaxy Note 3. However the Note 3 is slated to be an early October release based on the release dates of the other carriers, although unconfirmed with Sprint, but assuming the Sprint Note 3 will be released first week of October,  I still would like the opportunity to evaluate the LG G2 if possible to make sure I do some due diligence of all flagship smartphones before making my decision.  I am definitely not waiting until November to evaluate the LG G2.

You might not think an extra 1-2 months matter but the reality is that the actual release date is going to be way longer than a month since Oct 11 is just for preorders.  The average customers do have short term memories and will move on especially if the LG G2 arrives around the same time as the Nexus 5 or a triband GS4.

For me, I've been sitting on my upgrade since July, waiting for the right phone to drop. Each month that passes I get more and more antsy to get away from my againg Galaxy S2. So yeah, a whole month is a bit significant for me.

Edited by WhiteZero
  • Like 1

However the Note 3 is slated to be an early October release based on the release dates of the other carriers, although unconfirmed with Sprint, but assuming the Sprint Note 3 will be released first week of October,  I still would like the opportunity to evaluate the LG G2 if possible to make sure I do some due diligence of all flagship smartphones before making my decision.  I am definitely not waiting until November to evaluate the LG G2.

That sounds like impatience.  If you want to perform your due diligence by comparing various tri band LTE handsets, then you will probably have to wait.  As an illustration, how many who jumped on the EVO LTE wished in hindsight that they had waited to compare to the Galaxy S3?  Comparable handsets are not going to be released all at the same time.  That is just the way it goes.  

So, you have two choices.  You stay on the cutting edge and go with the first available handset that tickles your fancy, then stick with it or cut bait.  Or you wait until a variety of comparable handsets have made it to market, then make up your mind, even though you may be a few months behind the cutting edge on your ultimate decision.

AJ

Actually my possible concern with the release schedule would be that it arrives too close to the potential upcoming "Nexus 5." Who knows, maybe they are scheduling it this way to give the iPhone time to sell a bunch since Sprint does have that $billions in contract orders to Apple to fulfill.

Anyway, I'm on a MVNO so I'd be happy to buy a used G2 in a few months but I would LOVE to buy a Nexus off contract directly from Google. For me it comes down to the price mostly but a new non scuffed phone would be nice.

WhiteZero, on 09 Sept 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Dumb question: Without SVDO/SVLTE, would recieving a call just boot you off of data while on the call, or would being on LTE block the call entirely?

For me, I've been sitting on my upgrade since July, waiting for the right phone to drop. Each month that passes I get more and more antsy to get away from my againg Galaxy S2. So yeah, a whole month is a bit significant for me.

It should just boot u off of 3G or LTE if you receive a call. Your call won't be blocked or automatically dropped if you are on 3G or LTE or else that would be real poor design since the LTE phones are meant to have mobile data enabled at all times.

I wonder if the "delay" has anything to do with triband testing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I'd suspect that since tri-band is unique to Sprint, there was some added manufacturing/assembly time for those SKU's, thus the delay.

Sprint such fail. Why are they releasing the LG G2 so late?

It is not likely sprint's choice. Sprint would be happy releasing a full set of triband phones tomorrow, but the manufactures have there own time tables and sprint isn't there largest customer. Added to this is the fact that sprint 800 built into the phone which no one esle is using and yeah they are going to get phones later than other carriers. Hopefully when SoftBank and sprint start doing joint orders this will end.

It is not likely sprint's choice. Sprint would be happy releasing a full set of triband phones tomorrow, but the manufactures have there own time tables and sprint isn't there largest customer. Added to this is the fact that sprint 800 built into the phone which no one esle is using and yeah they are going to get phones later than other carriers. Hopefully when SoftBank and sprint start doing joint orders this will end.

I don't buy that Sprint is getting it last because it isn't their largest customer because Tmobile is getting it Sept 25th and Sprint has more customers than them.  However you might have a point in that manufacturing the Sprint variant due to 800 MHz may take some more time.