If 1x is technically 3g...?

eljayyy91

Then why does sprint advertise 3g speeds between 500kps-2.5 peaks... I know even their evdo doesn't reach those speeds but curious. Lol 

Then why does sprint advertise 3g speeds between 500kps-2.5 peaks... I know even their evdo doesn't reach those speeds but curious. Lol

O rly? Lol...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

Okay now I feel stupid refreshed and now I can see them. But by evdo not getting those speeds I ment the legacy sites most of us have to deal with.

And plus those are evdo speeds have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Lol

1xRTT is a 3G technology.  Speed does not make or break a technology.  If I take a cable modem and set the internal traffic caps to that of dial up speeds, it all of a sudden does not mean it is no longer broadband technology running behind it.

You're the one who mentioned evdo in the very first post. Lol

And plus those are evdo speeds have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Lol

1xRTT is a 3G technology.  Speed does not make or break a technology.  If I take a cable modem and set the internal traffic caps to that of dial up speeds, it all of a sudden does not mean it is no longer broadband technology running behind it.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that why does sprint deceive and put the 3g icon on phones when we are in reality connected to 1x, yet on their website says 3g speeds will be at least 500 kbps, even though, IIRC 1x cannot do those speeds the way that sprint has it deployed.  And I do understand that 3g speeds are not guaranteed at 500 kbps, but it seems to be a bait and switch, Sprint calls "1x" 3g on the phone icon, but does not include it in their 3g advertisement for their website.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that why does sprint deceive and put the 3g icon on phones when we are in reality connected to 1x, yet on their website says 3g speeds will be at least 500 kbps, even though, IIRC 1x cannot do those speeds the way that sprint has it deployed.  And I do understand that 3g speeds are not guaranteed at 500 kbps, but it seems to be a bait and switch, Sprint calls "1x" 3g on the phone icon, but does not include it in their 3g advertisement for their website.

Are there any remaining Sprint 1x areas?  If you are connected to 1xRTT chances are you are roaming and will see the little roaming triangle to tell you so.  So I suppose why yes the data icon shows 3G, the roaming triangle is also right next to it.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that why does sprint deceive and put the 3g icon on phones when we are in reality connected to 1x, yet on their website says 3g speeds will be at least 500 kbps, even though, IIRC 1x cannot do those speeds the way that sprint has it deployed. And I do understand that 3g speeds are not guaranteed at 500 kbps, but it seems to be a bait and switch, Sprint calls "1x" 3g on the phone icon, but does not include it in their 3g advertisement for their website.

Are there any remaining Sprint 1x areas? If you are connected to 1xRTT chances are you are roaming and will see the little roaming triangle to tell you so. So I suppose why yes the data icon shows 3G, the roaming triangle is also right next to it.

There are some areas where due to signal evdo is not available. This will happen even more with 800smr launches in areas where 800smr will be available but PCS evdo or LTE will not reach.

• Like 1

Are there any remaining Sprint 1x areas?  If you are connected to 1xRTT chances are you are roaming and will see the little roaming triangle to tell you so.  So I suppose why yes the data icon shows 3G, the roaming triangle is also right next to it.

A few former iPCS affiliate areas -- such as what I refer to as the Norfolk, NE "loop" -- are still CDMA1X only.  With Network Vision, they will transition directly from CDMA1X only to CDMA1X + EV-DO + LTE.

1qsobp.gif

AJ

To say that Sprint intends to "deceive" is a stretch.  You need more evidence to back up that assertion.

As for total disclosure of truth in advertising, Sprint devices would have to display separate CDMA1X, EV-DO, and LTE icons, not to mention, separate signal strength indicators.  After all, even when a device is connected to LTE, it is almost assuredly also connected to CDMA1X.  But all of those icons and indicators would be information overload for average consumers.  Hence, CDMA1X and EV-DO are appropriately labeled "3G," while WiMAX and LTE get lumped together as "4G."

To paraphrase a notable saying, do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by *consumer* incompetence.

AJ

As for total disclosure of truth in advertising, Sprint devices would have to display separate CDMA1X, EV-DO, and LTE icons, not to mention, separate signal strength indicators.

Though I do have to say, I miss the 4G icon they used for WiMax with the signal strength indicator slightly reminiscent of the WiFi signal indicator.  It was helpful to know how strong of a 4G signal I really did have on my OG Evo.

• Like 1

Well Verizon is able to say if you're on 1x, 3vdo, and LTE. I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad. As far as I know Verizon doesn't have all the different signal strengths displayed at the top either. In most if not every where my 3G signal is the same as my 1x signal.

In most if not every where my 3G signal is the same as my 1x signal.

Even assuming same/similar bands, LTE is not as robust as EV-DO is not as robust as CDMA1X.  Those are just the facts, ma'am (sir).  So, signal strength among those airlinks does not correlate to usability.  At the same signal strength, LTE will drop off before EV-DO will drop off before CDMA1X.  That is the price we pay for network evolution.

AJ

Though I do have to say, I miss the 4G icon they used for WiMax with the signal strength indicator slightly reminiscent of the WiFi signal indicator.  It was helpful to know how strong of a 4G signal I really did have on my OG Evo.

Easily fixed:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck&hl=en

I live in North Eastern PA. The majority of the areas are indeed 1xrtt. I did see that WiWavelength mentioned that this is in former IPCS areas and I believe this is the case here.

There are some areas where due to signal evdo is not available. This will happen even more with 800smr launches in areas where 800smr will be available but PCS evdo or LTE will not reach.

Yes this will happen, but more common than that, areas that only had 1x will get EVDO and LTE.  I'm very excited about that major change.

Verizon and uscellular both have 1x as indicators... so saying sprint isn't trying to deceive the average user is kinda hard to say... and on top of this it just makes

Sprints evdo look even worse... and me in north wisconsin have a lot of areas where I'm only on 1x but never would have known without this forum lmao. But now I know why some areas where I thought I was connected to a good "3g" signal and I wasn't. And here with the low population sprints 3g isn't half bad so yoy can really tell the difference if your a user.

Pretty much lol. But on top of this is there anyway to get a 1x indicator?

Pretty much lol. But on top of this is there anyway to get a 1x indicator?

I use "SignalCheck Pro" from the Play Store. The dev is a member here. All the places where I used to curse Sprint's 3G (EVDO) I now realize that it's actually 1X.