VERY disappointed with NV 800 Voice

I hate when people are too busy texting and talking while driving.

Actually talking isn't much of a distraction if any at all, texting is insane plus the distracted drivers with kids in the car, Ugh! But bicyclists who ignore stop signs/stop lights are the real road menace here in the city.

• Like 1

The problems seem to be transferring between 800 and 1900. If you went to a 1900 only PRL, you would likely see a dramatic call drop improvement.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just curious, have you heard of hand-off problems between 800 and 1900 or vice-versa. The network should be able to handle it like tower to tower, correct or is there a limitation?

I guess I might end on my airrave again with 1900 but oh well. How would I get a 1900 only PRL, can you use it on a unrooted stock ROM S3? fyi currently on PRL 25015

I saw on previous page:"

To prioritize 800 you need to:

1. Get your MSL # (If you do not have this you will need to call Sprint to get it)

2. Install QPST on your computer.

3. Download a PRL that prioritizes 800 or make your own PRL. (I use PRL 21086x downloaded from this site)

4. Use QPST to flash the PRL to your phone.

Anytime Sprint pushes a PRL you will need to do this again unless the new PRL functions as you wish."

A couple of questions (and I don't mean to be condescending, but I can't find the answers in your post): First, do you know if you are on 800 or 1900 at any given time? If you don't, I suggest using Mikejeep's Signal Check or Signal Check Pro from the Play Store. It will tell you what your 800/1900 and EV-DO/LTE statuses are at any time.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I wanted to clarify something here about SignalCheck and 800 SMR service to prevent any confusion.  The app cannot determine if a device is on 800 or 1900 while a telephone call is active, due to an Android bug.  The app will display whatever band you were on at the time the call was initiated.  If you are watching the app (or the Engineering screens I believe) while on a call, you won't see that update at the exact moment it changes.  However, as soon as a call ends, it updates accordingly.. so if you are getting dropped calls when the band changes, it will appear almost realtime anyway.

Complicating things even more, the last version of the app (3.15) never shows 800 during a call, even if it was on 800 when the call was initiated.  The display always reverted to regular 1X.  The newest version (4.03, just released today), behaves as described above.

None of this applies except while a telephone call is active (aka the device is off-hook, or on an active traffic channel).  If you are not on the phone, the app displays everything realtime.

-Mike

• Like 3

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I wanted to clarify something here about SignalCheck and 800 SMR service to prevent any confusion.  The app cannot determine if a device is on 800 or 1900 while a telephone call is active, due to an Android bug.  The app will display whatever band you were on at the time the call was initiated.  If you are watching the app (or the Engineering screens I believe) while on a call, you won't see that update at the exact moment it changes.  However, as soon as a call ends, it updates accordingly.. so if you are getting dropped calls when the band changes, it will appear almost realtime anyway.

Complicating things even more, the last version of the app (3.15) never shows 800 during a call, even if it was on 800 when the call was initiated.  The display always reverted to regular 1X.  The newest version (4.03, just released today), behaves as described above.

None of this applies except while a telephone call is active (aka the device is off-hook, or on an active traffic channel).  If you are not on the phone, the app displays everything realtime.

-Mike

Well I know you have 2 versions Lite and Pro, I have 3.15L which google play says is the newest as of this minute. For the Pro version instead of 3.15 like it did yesterday, it now says "varies with device". Does it take a day or 2 for googleplay to update? will there be a 4.03L that shows up?

Well I know you have 2 versions Lite and Pro, I have 3.15L which google play says is the newest as of this minute. For the Pro version instead of 3.15 like it did yesterday, it now says "varies with device". Does it take a day or 2 for googleplay to update? will there be a 4.03L that shows up?

Yes, it takes Google Play a few hours to completely update all of their servers.  I believe it says "varies with device" on the web because Android 2.1 users can only get an older version now.

If you visit Google Play on your device and have an "Update" button on an app, it means you will get a version newer than the one you currently have installed.  If you scroll to the bottom of the description, it will show you the latest version available for your device at that time.

There will be a 4.03L eventually; I won't be able to finish it until sometime next week though.  Pro and Lite will always receive similar updates, but Pro gets them first.  I usually update the Lite version a few days later; it's time consuming because they are two completely separate apps.  I look at the delay as an extra "perk" for the Pro users.

-Mike

• Like 2

I witnessed an 800 to 1900 handoff during a call with the engineering screen open on my S3 in my grandmas basement once. The call did not drop...

Perhaps they're working on it. Last I saw, if you moved from 800 to 1900, it would normally result in a drop. 

I was in Chicago three weeks ago and had 800 everywhere I went. Not once did I drop a call. Usually at my wife's uncle house I would get one to two bars inside and one bar to no service in the basement. With 800 I had three to four bars. I was impressed and happy. However, I was unable to get LTE inside the house. LTE on the street was considerably fast and consistent. I traveled all around Naperville, Woodridge, Bolingbrook, Lombard, Downers Grove and Wheaton.

• Like 1

Interfequency handoffs generally result in a hard handoff as far as I know... ie a dropped call. So if you start off on 800, but move into an area that only has 1900 coverage, you'll likely see a drop. Or vice-versa.

An Inter frequency handoff is a hard handoff however just because there is a hard handoff during a call that doesn't mean the call will always be dropped. I would think it's more likely the call will continue then drop.

That said, hard handoffs are likely one of the biggest reasons for dropped calls.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1

In my anecdotal observations, during hard handoff it seemed like I was more likely to be dropped if I was talking at the time. It's almost as if the MSC can handle the transfer if it's not receiving voice from the handset at the time. It may be all in my head, but I have noticed this often in suspected hard handoff drops.

• Like 2

Interfequency handoffs generally result in a hard handoff as far as I know... ie a dropped call. So if you start off on 800, but move into an area that only has 1900 coverage, you'll likely see a drop. Or vice-versa. 

No, a hard handoff does not equal a dropped call.  Additionally, a hard handoff is not necessarily inter frequency or inter band.  Rather, it is just a "break before make" handoff.

AJ

• Like 5

No, a hard handoff does not equal a dropped call.  Additionally, a hard handoff is not necessarily inter frequency or inter band.  Rather, it is just a "break before make" handoff.

AJ

As in loses the signal from the current tower before picking up and switching to a better tower. Is that how it usually works the phone sees lower signal and makes a connection to a stronger tower and then chooses to switch? Or am I misinterpreting your message?

• Like 1

As in loses the signal from the current tower before picking up and switching to a better tower. Is that how it usually works the phone sees lower signal and makes a connection to a stronger tower and then chooses to switch? Or am I misinterpreting your message?

No, a hard handoff is entirely network directed.  The network sets up a traffic channel on a different carrier channel, which could be in the same band or a different band, and instructs the handset to make the jump to the other carrier channel.  The handset cannot be connected to both carrier channels simultaneously, so the "break before make" is the few millisecond jump in between the carrier channels.

AJ

• Like 1

No, a hard handoff is entirely network directed.  The network sets up a traffic channel on a different carrier channel, which could be in the same band or a different band, and instructs the handset to make the jump to the other carrier channel.  The handset cannot be connected to both carrier channels simultaneously, so the "break before make" is the few millisecond jump in between the carrier channels.

AJ

Ok, I think I understand what you said, but then what is a non-hard handoff that works normally ( eg as someone drives down the interstate for example talking the whole way with no dropped calls)?, tower to tower on the same channel (which would seem to be < 50/50 chance or ?

AJ

Ok, that makes sense, a bit. So why are those in the Shentel market seeing such an issue dropping calls between 800 and 1900?

Ok, that makes sense, a bit. So why are those in the Shentel market seeing such an issue dropping calls between 800 and 1900?

Appalachia and technology do not mix.

AJ

• Like 4

Appalachia and technology do not mix.

AJ

I hear that Appalachia and Mountain Dew mix quite nicely, though. :)

• 2 months later...

I have noticed that the two times i have been outside of Sprint coverage my Evo LTE will connect to 800mhz but my Duracore workphone will go into roaming until it connects back to 1900mhz. Has anyone else had this happen to them?(Duracore PRL is 22097)

I have noticed that the two times i have been outside of Sprint coverage my Evo LTE will connect to 800mhz but my Duracore workphone will go into roaming until it connects back to 1900mhz. Has anyone else had this happen to them?(Duracore PRL is 22097)

Is the even Duracore capable of using 800 1x?

The entire Dura- line (Duracore, Duramax, Duraplus, DuraXT) support 1X on ESMR 800 MHz. They're on my official list of "phones that support 800 MHz".

They're also newer than the EVO 3D and aren't the Photon or iPhone 4(s), so there's that too :P