Original Airave by Samsung to be shut down?

larryt510

I got a tip today that Sprint will no longer be supporting the original Samsung Airave 1.0 model on or around August 1st.  Can anyone else confirm this?

I am not sure if this also includes the Samsung second version Airave with the black antenna but it likely does.  This sucks for me because I have always preferred this version out of the first three models (haven't used the 2.5).  I keep it around for backup for the times when my local cell site goes down with an outage but other than that I don't need it.  I guess once August comes and if they do in fact shut it down then I will have to get a 2.5 model.  I'm sure they would send me one.

That's unfortunate.  The older Samsung airaves had less issues overall I found, especially with the multiple text bug that still affects many users on the Airvana units.

• Like 2

That's unfortunate.  The older Samsung airaves had less issues overall I found, especially with the multiple text bug that still affects many users on the Airvana units.

Yes and I thought the older ones had better RF signal as well.

• Like 1

I got a tip today that Sprint will no longer be supporting the original Samsung Airave 1.0 model on or around August 1st.  Can anyone else confirm this?

I am not sure if this also includes the Samsung second version Airave with the black antenna but it likely does.  This sucks for me because I have always preferred this version out of the first three models (haven't used the 2.5).  I keep it around for backup for the times when my local cell site goes down with an outage but other than that I don't need it.  I guess once August comes and if they do in fact shut it down then I will have to get a 2.5 model.  I'm sure they would send me one.

So the currently active ones will stop working entirely?  Is Sprint planning to offer free replacements?  

So the currently active ones will stop working entirely?

That's what I heard but I can't say 100% for sure.  Was hoping someone else with inside knowledge could confirm or deny.

Watch for a new Airvana model in the next 2 months to be released.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

oo really?

Airvana had a new model pass thru the FCC in March or April, and now they are ending support for the original Samsung Airave. It's the only logical explanation.

Airvana had a new model pass thru the FCC in March or April, and now they are ending support for the original Samsung Airave. It's the only logical explanation.

Ah that makes sense.

Wish they would end the Airvana nightmare and get Samsung to make them again. The Airvana's are all garbage.

Sent from my little Note2

Maybe 3.0 will finally be better.

Wish they would end the Airvana nightmare and get Samsung to make them again. The Airvana's are all garbage.

Sent from my little Note2

My Airave 2.5 is great when it works, but it has a tendency to fall off of 3G and go on 1xRTT. Which makes no sense as I get 4-5 bars wherever I am in my house. Here's hoping a new Airave or whatever they call it fixes these issues and maybe include LTE. :P But ultimetly when the 800 band is rolled out here I hope I won't need the Airave anymore.

Edited by BlueAngel
  • Like 1

I heard only 1.0 will be shut down, and people will have the option to switch to a new version.

But what model or models is 1.0?  The original Samsung and the second version Samsung as well?  Or is the second Samsung a 1.5 model?  Both of these came before the first Airvana model.

• 3 weeks later...

Received an email from Sprint today telling me they will discontinue the Airave 1.0 on Aug 1st.

I called the phone number in the email (855-881-85361), and they are sending me, at no cost, an Airave 2.5.

got some confirmaiton somewhere for this?...the airave 2.5 is a hunk of junk..:)

No. But the FCC docs in April show that Sprint and Airvana got approved for a new model.

got some confirmaiton somewhere for this?...the airave 2.5 is a hunk of junk..:)

Think the one you have is a piece of junk. The two I have used that are 2.5 models work great on several different devices. Now the 2.0 was flaky.

• Like 2

I will hold out until the bitter end and keep my Samsung model.  If I call now they will send me a 2.5.  By 8/1 hopefully the 3.0 will be out and I can get that one. I only need it for a backup when the regular tower goes down anyway.

Odd how different people's experiences are. I have a 2.0 now and it's been rock solid since roughly February. My 2.5 was ridden with dropped calls, double texts, and poor signal from the time I got it until it was swapped for a 2.0. Been cruising with my 2.0 problem-free, with maybe 2 resets since then.