Sprint + Lightsquared + Dish's spectrum

Eventually, Dish and Lightsquared will need a network to host their spectrum (assuming they don't sell it).

As Sprint's network is currently planned out, will it be able to host Dish and/or Lightsquared spectrum?

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/135045-what-is-lte-advanced/4

What are the possible issues?
Backhaul?
Tower spacing?
Competitive issues?

Dish - they never asked Sprint to host their network.

Lightsquared - they're trying to share some spectrum with (NOAA)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57582692-94/finally-some-good-news-for-lightsquared-and-its-4g-hopes/

Early 2012.. 

Government --> Lightsquare -- " NOPE! YOU NO USE SPECTRUM! YOU DISRUPT SATELLITE!"

Lightsquare --> Bankruptcy court , Sprint bails. 

Circa summer 2012

Dish -> Sprint-- "Hey Hesss--ehhh, how about this. You host our spectrum on your Network Vision towers and we'll let you use it to offload from your network!"

Sprint -> Dish ... " I'll think about it..."

Softbank -> Sprint " Awww! Let's get on this silk bed and ... talk about our future..."

Sprint -> Softbank " *smooches*, let's get clearwire in here as well.."

Dish -> Sprint / Softbank "FUUUUUUUU... I'll buy CLEARWIRE!!!"

Sprint Softbank -> Dish "Fu, majority ownership bish"

Dish -> Softbank "FUUU, I'll BUY SPRINT! HESSE! YOU BISH, COME HERE AND WIPE MY SHOES!"

Softbank -> "F U! Time to use le maths to prove you are a bish"...

~ May 2013...

• Like 10

What do you think is going to happen to the spectrum these two hold?

Eventually, it's gonna be used by someone.

Maybe, or it may just end up underwater, like a lot of foreclosed homes during the housing crash.

I have long been saying that we are unnecessarily flooding the market with so much new spectrum -- AWS-1, AWS-2, AWS-4, BRS/EBS, SMR, Upper/Lower 700 MHz, WCS, 600 MHz -- that the spectrum bubble could burst any day now.

AJ

• Like 2

What do you think is going to happen to the spectrum these two hold?

Eventually, it's gonna be used by someone.

Maybe, or it may just end up underwater, like a lot of foreclosed homes during the housing crash.

I have long been saying that we are unnecessarily flooding the market with so much new spectrum -- AWS-1, AWS-2, AWS-4, BRS/EBS, SMR, Upper/Lower 700 MHz, WCS, 600 MHz -- that the spectrum bubble could burst any day now.

AJ

How would it burst? Mobile usage-stuff is increasing, right? And America has ?second? highest data prices?

How would it burst? Mobile usage-stuff is increasing, right? And America has ?second? highest data prices?

Adding more and more bands becomes a logistical headache and reduces economy of scale for each band.  Plus, by some models, mobile data usage is already reaching an inflection point.  Moreover, Wi-Fi offloading (unlicensed spectrum) is taking over much of the heavy lifting, and small cells will increase capacity geometrically in existing spectrum.

AJ

• Like 2

Adding more and more bands becomes a logistical headache and reduces economy of scale for each band.  Plus, by some models, mobile data usage is already reaching an inflection point.  Moreover, Wi-Fi offloading (unlicensed spectrum) is taking over much of the heavy lifting, and small cells will increase capacity geometrically in existing spectrum.

AJ

Aw, AJ, you're no FUN!  You take all the hilarity out of rabid, mindless, hysterical speculating!!! Gee whiz, what a party pooper. :angry:

Adding more and more bands becomes a logistical headache and reduces economy of scale for each band.  

Yes, I agree but if the alternative is slower data speeds, won't phone consumers accept the costs? It's not as if we're talking about doubling the price of a phone.

Plus, by some models, mobile data usage is already reaching an inflection point.  

AJ

I'd definitely like to see that article.

Moreover, Wi-Fi offloading (unlicensed spectrum) is taking over much of the heavy lifting, and small cells will increase capacity geometrically in existing spectrum.

AJ

Aren't those solutions intended for alleviating congestion in relatively small locations like a mall, stadium, etc.?

I'm thinking at the macro level at which point peppering cities with small cells might be more expensive than adding another spectrum band.

Also, you're assuming antenna technology won't advance much. I know absolutely nothing about antennas. 

What about 

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qualcomm-rf360-front-end-solution-product-brief.pdf

It does look like the solution's not optimal so maybe it's meant more as a "we're coming!":

http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/RFC/post/2013/03/19/Does-Qualcomms-RF360-Mean-The-Demise-of-GaAs.aspx

Softbank -> Sprint " Awww! Let's get on this silk bed and ... talk about our future..."

Sprint -> Softbank " *smooches*, let's get clearwire in here as well.."

O-okay, Son-san... what are... are we gonna do on the bed? And with Hesse-san too... *blushes*

O-okay, Son-san... what are... are we gonna do on the bed? And with Hesse-san too... *blushes*

Considering Otosan, I am guessing doggy style...

:P

AJ

• Like 3

AJ

24b4yki.jpg

There is a ton of Spectrum out there already, build more towers with smaller cells, share the existing spectrum better, reband the existing spectrum into useful wideband configurations rather than the crazy ass 30yr old narrow band configs.

Seems like they've been down that road already.

Dish - they never asked Sprint to host their network.

Lightsquared - they're trying to share some spectrum with (NOAA)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57582692-94/finally-some-good-news-for-lightsquared-and-its-4g-hopes/

Early on, Dish said they were negotiating with Sprint to host their LTE network on the Network Vision platform. Ergen even tried to get Tmo, AT&T and Sprint to get in a battling war over who could host his network. None for fell for his shenanigans.

I believe Ergen always wanted Sprint to host their network, knowing it was the best plan/fit. However, Ergen couldn't get it for below value pricing , and that is why he has started this whole 'let's just buy a network' idea. He thinks he can buy Sprint and/or Clearwire for less money than his hosting deals long term. Ergen is not only shrewd, but he's a bully.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

Early on, Dish said they were negotiating with Sprint to host their LTE network on the Network Vision platform. Ergen even tried to get Tmo, AT&T and Sprint to get in a battling war over who could host his network. None for fell for his shenanigans.

I believe Ergen always wanted Sprint to host their network, knowing it was the best plan/fit. However, Ergen couldn't get it for below value pricing , and that is why he has started this whole 'let's just buy a network' idea. He thinks he can buy Sprint and/or Clearwire for less money than his hosting deals long term. Ergen is not only shrewd, but he's a bully.

So wouldn't someone make money off hosting his network? If not Sprint then T-Mobile?

So wouldn't someone make money off hosting his network? If not Sprint then T-Mobile?

In order for Charlie to win, the people he is dealing with must lose. He seems incapable of striking a win-win deal with anyone.

Sprint was happy to host Dish's new LTE network on AWS-4 initially. However, Dish's terms were not reasonable. I think that's proven by the fact he couldn't make a deal with anyone.

And now the relationship between Dish and other carriers is getting so sour, he may never be able to get a deal with anyone. He may have no choice but to either buy someone out or build a network organically. But it is his darn fault. He should lie in his bed he made.

• Like 2

There is a ton of Spectrum out there already

Not per person

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/entner-lte-and-us-consumers-are-king/2012-10-19

build more towers with smaller cells, 

It's not because the carriers aren't trying: the Supreme Court had to step in to make sure things wouldn't get bogged down even further.

http://news.yahoo.com/high-court-uphold-fcc-power-cell-tower-disputes-144027871.html

Local municipalities aren't making easy.

share the existing spectrum better

Who should share with whom?

reband the existing spectrum into useful wideband configurations rather than the crazy ass 30yr old narrow band configs.

Do you have tens of billions $$ to pay for people to move to different bands?

It makes more sense to keep building smaller cells for capacity than to keep adding spectrum and bands.

• Like 2

It makes more sense to keep building smaller cells for capacity than to keep adding spectrum and bands.

Is that cheaper for carriers? They're gonna look for cheapest.

And while I understand the concept of small cells, how small are they going to be exactly?