Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Ok so we got our S4s - nice phone but Sprint 3G is almost nonexistent in our house. Assuming no new towers are built in Manteca, when Sprint rolls out LTE in this area will that same tower using the same 1900 spectrum have any increased coverage or will coverage be the same only with increased speeds? And assume we wont be upgrading to a triband phone anytime soon.

I know we can use WiFi (using it now) but it seems pointless to pay for unlimited data and not get any at all.

Ok so we got our S4s - nice phone but Sprint 3G is almost nonexistent in our house. Assuming no new towers are built in Manteca, when Sprint rolls out LTE in this area will that same tower using the same 1900 spectrum have any increased coverage or will coverage be the same only with increased speeds? And assume we wont be upgrading to a triband phone anytime soon.

I know we can use WiFi (using it now) but it seems pointless to pay for unlimited data and not get any at all.

Coverage should be increased by about 10-20% with the updated equipment. You'll notice a huge difference. Another thing you might consider is calling Sprint Retentions and letting them know you have no voice service in your home. You might be able to get an Airvana free of charge and have no monthly fee associated with it. I had to get one when I moved into the house I'm in right now and it has made a world of difference. If anything, it will help while you wait for LTE to go live in your area. Just a thought.

I received TWO of the newer Airaves free. The first time was for our apartment. It wasn't difficult to get that one free, just one mention of switching carriers did the trick with 1st level customer service w/supervisor approval.

When it came to getting the 2nd one for my office at work, Customer Service was adamant about billing me for the 2nd one, and Retentions initially called my bluff when I firmly told them I'd shut off all three of our lines & begin service with another carrier. They said "Oh sure, i am happy to take care of that today. Do you understand there will be a $350 ETF for each line you are disconnecting? And do you understand you may not enjoy the benefit of unlimited data with another major carrier?" I said "yep, I'd like to pay all that right now over the phone, and turn the service off during this call. Sprint can keep these phone numbers, too".

My 2nd Airave arrived two days later, free of charge, and I don't pay a monthly fee for the usage either :/

In Roseville, I am enjoying near 30Mbps down speeds. In West Sacramento, 20-ish down speeds. I tried to upload a photo of my speed test results but Tapatalk is asking me to register a new account for photo sharing when I'm already logged into my S4GRU account. Sad face.

Also, 3G service on Northrop between Watt & Howe, all the way to Howe & Hwy 50 was dead between 9-930 tonight while I was visiting a friend. Solid 5-bars for voice but I couldn't even get a ping in the Speed Test app. Might be good news for that area of town.

Lastly, I can do some Sensorly mapping, site surveying w/photo intel & pull permits from the local cities around Sacramento beginning Monday if anyone would like. ONLY if y'all want the intel. Otherwise I'm happy to watch movies all day on Monday :D If I can help out in any way, please share or PM me the detailed info y'all would like, and I'll begin first thing Monday morning. I'd like to start canvassing entire sections of town since Sensory only shows LTE service on major arteries of town & not the neighborhoods. It'd be nice to see larger sections of Sac & surrounding communities painted purple in Sensorly!

End of rant :/

• Like 1

-snip-

This is all you need to do and all you will need to do to get the things you need so you can do what you want to do. 

-Side Note- 

Where my Reno folks at? We have a 4G accepted site in the west side of Reno near boomtown that is in need of being mapped on sensorly!

• Like 2

Coverage should be increased by about 10-20% with the updated equipment. You'll notice a huge difference. Another thing you might consider is calling Sprint Retentions and letting them know you have no voice service in your home. You might be able to get an Airvana free of charge and have no monthly fee associated with it. I had to get one when I moved into the house I'm in right now and it has made a world of difference. If anything, it will help while you wait for LTE to go live in your area. Just a thought.

Even though the Voice coverage bar indicates 1-3 bars usually, voice reception seems fine.  Too early to tell if we'll be missing calls, text messages, or will get a lot of dropped calls, but so far voice seems fine, so I don't think we'll need the Airwave.

It's the 3G coverage that is almost non-existent, and of course the speed is pathetically slow.  I'd read a study where they compared the different 3G, 4G speeds (WiMax for Sprint at that time), and Sprint's 3G was averaging 0.5 megabits/sec downloads, and that's roughly what we're getting when we can get a signal.  Of course their LTE should be much faster than that, but I'm not too confident that the coverage will really increase since it's the same spectrum they're using, just a different standard.   I don't know enough about LTE versus EVDO to know how much better coverage LTE will truly get.

I'm pretty sure the signal improvements come into play because of the RRUs being placed up near the panels, not because LTE inherently propagates better than EVDO (it doesn't, as far as I know.) There is no improvement on GMO sites for this reason.

• Like 1

I drove by A Street in North Highlands today, no progress yet. I will be passing it next Saturday and Sunday and will see if anything is going on then to.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

uploadfromtaptalk1376870688125.jpg

• Like 1

That's been the case in a lot of areas that haven't had 4g acceptance yet. I had that at my work and at my kid's school last week and was excited, only to have it drop back down to 3g if I breathed wrong. The signals are being worked on.

On another note, I drove by the giant Sprint tower in Rancho just a few minutes ago and didn't see any work at the actual tower, but there was a lift parked on the street very nearby that hasn't been there before. Since it's the weekend, I'm hopeful it is being used on the tower, since it is in progress. Joyous day had by all...at least in Rancho.

They may have dropped off the lift this last weekend for work to begin this week! I might be able to drive by this tower on my lunch break today to see if anything is happening....

They may have dropped off the lift this last weekend for work to begin this week! I might be able to drive by this tower on my lunch break today to see if anything is happening....

I am getting ready to drive by right now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Nothin' and nothin'. The lift is still parked on the street, though.

Hmmm...hopefully they will be using that lift to start some type of work soon. They usually don't just keep the lifts around if there isn't any planned work. They usually have the lifts ready beforehand meaning they are going to start some type of work soon....

Hmmm...hopefully they will be using that lift to start some type of work soon. They usually don't just keep the lifts around if there isn't any planned work. They usually have the lifts ready beforehand meaning they are going to start some type of work soon....

That's what I think, too. It is close to my house, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Though I did catch this while I was at Mather this morning...

Screenshot_2013-08-19-07-50-56.png

:tu:

If anyone is near the UC Davis Medical Center on V street near midtown, go visit the giant concrete water tower and see if anything has happened.

Can't see much at the water tank here. Will try to take a few photos with my phone and upload later.

Edit: I took a few snaps with my phone, but it's not the best of quality. There were a few Legacy antennas on the tower, but there were no workers or equipment nearby. Let me know if you still want me to upload the photos.

That's what I think, too. It is close to my house, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Though I did catch this while I was at Mather this morning...

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-08-19-07-50-56.png

:tu:

Yeah that is you connecting to the tower way down off Jackson Rd South of Mather.....

• Like 1