Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Crazy things happening up here now tonight all i have is 1xRTT no EVDO no eHRPD nothing but 1xRTT.  What the hell could this mean?

Sprint loves testing equipment during night to minimize impact to customers. You might be in for a surprise in a few days if that's the case... :)

*wink wink*

We haven't received our phones yet and haven't activated.  But I just found out that our address, via the Sprint mapping, only gets 'Fair' coverage for voice.  The single tower in Manteca seems more situated up in the northern part of town.  So we may have to cancel the switch over.

My question is, does anyone else live in an area that has 'Fair' voice coverage according to Sprint's website (http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) and do not have any problems at all with their voice?

Rather disappointing to see that southern Manteca has such horrible voice coverage, yet neighboring Lathrop and the cities towards Modesto are fine.

We haven't received our phones yet and haven't activated.  But I just found out that our address, via the Sprint mapping, only gets 'Fair' coverage for voice.  The single tower in Manteca seems more situated up in the northern part of town.  So we may have to cancel the switch over.

My question is, does anyone else live in an area that has 'Fair' voice coverage according to Sprint's website (http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?) and do not have any problems at all with their voice?

Rather disappointing to see that southern Manteca has such horrible voice coverage, yet neighboring Lathrop and the cities towards Modesto are fine.

Fair is fine and will be a non issue as CDMA 800 1x is deployed in the next few months. South Manteca is served by a tower along the highway between Manteca & Ripon. 

We have maps of all ~39,000 sprint cell sites in the nation in the sponsor area if you really wish to see where towers are located. 

Edit: Oh and another LTE site accepted west of Reno in the Boomtown-Garson area. 

Edited by lilotimz

Fair is fine and will be a non issue as CDMA 800 1x is deployed in the next few months. South Manteca is served by a tower along the highway between Manteca & Ripon. 

We have maps of all ~39,000 sprint cell sites in the nation in the sponsor area if you really wish to see where towers are located. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I've read about the 800 MHz (the deployment will be for voice or data or both?) - but that will help with voice as well?  Even if the phone itself uses only 1900 MHZ for data (Galaxy S4)?  I'm not too knowledgeable with the frequencies and how they are used for voice and data, etc.

Edited by solara

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I've read about the 800 MHz - but that will help with voice as well?  Even if the phone itself uses only 1900 MHZ for data (Galaxy S4)?  I'm not too knowledgeable with the frequencies and how they are used for voice and data, etc.

All phones currently available (bar iphone 4/4s) support CDMA 800 1x Voice & slow data but not LTE 800 which will come next month starting with the LG G2 then Samsung Note 3 and/or rereleased tri-band galaxy s4.  So I'd advise you to hold off anyhow. It's pretty stupid getting a single band LTE device right on the eve of tri-bands. 

Our market is slated to have LTE 800 activated and available on certain sites in the next 60-90 days. 

All phones currently available (bar iphone 4/4s) support CDMA 800 1x Voice & slow data but not LTE 800 which will come next month starting with the LG G2 then Samsung Note 3 and/or rereleased tri-band galaxy s4.  So I'd advise you to hold off anyhow. It's pretty stupid getting a single band LTE device right on the eve of tri-bands. 

Our market is slated to have LTE 800 activated and available in certain sites in the next 60-90 days. 

The only reason we jumped on the S4 now is because of the great deals they currently have - I guess they may be trying to move stock to make room for the Tri-Band S4, who knows.  Basically with discounts, and some corporate credit for switching lines, the S4 would be free.

I've been trying to google and find out info, but you probably know this.  LTE 800 vs. 1800 - the 800 should penetrate buildings better and have larger coverage right?  So Sprint would probably have to build less towers to cover the same area that 1800 currently covers right?  What are the advantages of 1800 over 800 band then?  Higher data speed within the covered area?

So the LTE 800 roll-out also includes CDMA 800 roll-out it seems - so voice should improve once that's rolled-out right?  What spectrum is Sprint using now for their voice?

The only reason we jumped on the S4 now is because of the great deals they currently have - I guess they may be trying to move stock to make room for the Tri-Band S4, who knows.  Basically with discounts, and some corporate credit for switching lines, the S4 would be free.

I've been trying to google and find out info, but you probably know this.  LTE 800 vs. 1800 - the 800 should penetrate buildings better and have larger coverage right?  So Sprint would probably have to build less towers to cover the same area that 1800 currently covers right?  What are the advantages of 1800 over 800 band then?  Higher data speed within the covered area?

So the LTE 800 roll-out also includes CDMA 800 roll-out it seems - so voice should improve once that's rolled-out right?  What spectrum is Sprint using now for their voice?

LTE 800 has substantially better propagation characteristics compared to PCS 1900 G block which Sprint utilizes for LTE. It is comparable to Cellular 850 & 700mhz which ATT & Verizon uses for their networks and in many markets are spaced for.

Sprint Network Vision equipment that will be installed on all Sprint cellular sites not in the IBEZ's already includes SMR 800 equipment for both LTE & CDMA 1x and all technologies will be activated. Whereas ATT and Vz goes for the blanket approach where they'll pick one site in a cluster to activate LTE on and move on to another and then coming back later to fill in for coverage & capacity. 

Right now, Sprint is utilizing PCS 1900 and SMR 800 1x (Network Vision sites) for voice. 

Sprint Currently is using 1900 (not 1800) for LTE, EVDO, Voice.  Sprint is rolling out 800 for Voice (CDMA 1xA), EVDO, and LTE. Lilotimz correct me if I am wrong...Also Sprint will eventually roll out 2500 for just LTE... so 800/1900/2500 when complete. You are correct in that 800 has larger coverage/in-building penetration. Lilo can probably add more....

Edited by lilotimz

Really psyched for what's to come in the following weeks. I've seen good Sprint service (which wasn't even at its best) and it was fantastic. What pisses me off a little is the fact that I had my Note 2 for a year and in that time it seemed to have been rendered obsolete and by the time LTE comes out the Note 3 enters -__-. If Sprint wants to be the bigger carrier and offer a free ETA to upgrade to that I will be with them for at least a decade ;D

To actually contribute to this forum East Davis seems to be getting full bars in the morning (from at least my house) usually when I eat breakfast in my balcony. At around 12 (peak hours?) it seems to return to the normal one bar. I did roam a little bit during the day (this usually doesn't happen) which got me pretty excited. 

Sprint Currently is using 1900 (not 1800) for LTE, EVDO, Voice.  Sprint is rolling out 800 for Voice (CDMA 1xA), EVDO, and LTE. Lilotimz correct me if I am wrong...Also Sprint will eventually roll out 2500 for just LTE... so 800/1900/2500 when complete. You are correct in that 800 has larger coverage/in-building penetration. Lilo can probably add more....

As long as voice coverage improves for my home using the current Galaxy S4 when 800 CDMA rolls out, and LTE speeds are at least 3-4 MB/s download, I'll be happy.  We're not too demanding ha.

As long as voice coverage improves for my home using the current Galaxy S4 when 800 CDMA rolls out, and LTE speeds are at least 3-4 MB/s download, I'll be happy.  We're not too demanding ha.

Better become a sponsor and track the roll out yourself!

You'll get access to this.. :) and other goodies like market maps, NV sites accepted map, and other info.

Premier Sponsors have access to LTE 800 rollout time frames and TD-LTE market maps..

TL3mxNl.png

Sprint Currently is using 1900 (not 1800) for LTE, EVDO, Voice. Sprint is rolling out 800 for Voice (CDMA 1xA), EVDO, and LTE. Lilotimz correct me if I am wrong...Also Sprint will eventually roll out 2500 for just LTE... so 800/1900/2500 when complete. You are correct in that 800 has larger coverage/in-building penetration. Lilo can probably add more....

Think of it like this. You have a tower in the middle around that is a circle representing 2500mhz with bad penetration but great for dense population. Around that a little farther out is another circle 1900mhz which is decent building penetration. And farther outside of that circle is 800mhz good building penetration and widest coverage. When you think of MHz think the higher the number the narrow the coverage and the worse the penetration pretty much.

extremetech-nv-future-640x353.png

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 2

Sweet. Just in time for me to get my next River Cats game tickets and have good reception.

Sweet. Just in time for me to get my next River Cats game tickets and have good reception.

Let me know when you go, I have some vouchers I can redeem~  We can have a S4GRU-UCV meet!

Let me know when you go, I have some vouchers I can redeem~  We can have a S4GRU-UCV meet!

Ha! I have free tickets from Supercuts. I let them cut my hair, they tell me to go to a few games. 

There's already LTE at Raley Field.

I haven't been to a game yet with a phone that gets LTE. My bad...  >.<

Ha! I have free tickets from Supercuts. I let them cut my hair, they tell me to go to a few games.

I haven't been to a game yet with a phone that gets LTE. My bad... >.

Lol, those are the same ones I have! Gotta use em quick..season is about to end~

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Lol, those are the same ones I have! Gotta use em quick..season is about to end~

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I know. My husband and son are going tomorrow night already. Hmmm....decisions, decisions.

At least it's a chance to go see the towers in West Sac. I very seldom head across the river unless it's to go to that awesome Indian restaurant by City Hall...

I haven't been to a game yet with a phone that gets LTE. My bad... >.<

Hehe, the only way I know is because I work out that way. All around Raley Field I get some LTE. The speeds are ok ~ 2mbps down but its progress.

• Like 1

Not Sprint. No permits were issued for Sprint at that site and it's a nextel synergy site on the 2nd rack. Though there is a relatively close by site with a permit issued for Sprint near the intersection of Jefferson & Triangle by the Union Pacific railroad track / crossing. 

Our market is slated to have LTE 800 activated and available on certain sites in the next 60-90 days. 

Thats really nice, all i want to do this year is to be able to christmas shop in a store with my cell phone so i can call and or text my wife about certain items. I will be doing all the shopping since our 2nd kid is due in october and i dont feel like taking him to the crowded area stores for christmas shopping.

I also use my phone as a computer since i am a sysadmin and would love to be able to do that when im not on wifi.

I really love my phone but it just seems like its crippled by the service. Ive waiited a long tim for this and im glad the time is coming soon.

• Like 1