Deployment question/skipping sites near completed ones

So I posed this question to Robert but I wanted to throw it out there for everyone. I am seeing in my area thats sites in the same general vincinity are being completed (cabinets and panels). Whats interesting is the sites in the same vincinity that are not getting work done. Here in Florida it may be different because it seems like you can pull permits for the county or the city so that may have something to do with it.

My theory though is somethng different. When I look at sites that have not been done it SEEMS that they all have some sort of issue with access. For example, the sites I am specifically talking about were either rooftop sites, inside a power company sub station, inside a storage unit facility, or attached to a power company tower.

Of course there could be all kinds of reasons why they are working in the manner they are but I did find it interesting that the sites nearby (like less than a mile on the same street) were not done and all were sort of unique. Anyone during the deployment see anything like this or even notice it.

Tampa deployment is depressing and I need something to talk about so humour me please. :D

I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but I've talked with American Towers and gotten information out of them. They have it setup so that Sprint employees can place a request on a site (for example, adding backhaul to it) and that when American Tower reviews it, they approve it and give them a permit. The permit lasts for 60 days (so Sprint must finish the upgrades in 60 days) and that the antenna installation will require another permit. This is all I know of and it's probably different per site. This is the way American Towers does it, but I know some places have towers owned by White Castle and you can find out how their system works by looking up White Castle Towers on google and such. For rooftop panels, I'd assume they contact whoever owns the building and request permission to work on the antennas on the top, also backhaul requests.

EDIT: They appear to be working on sites that have backhaul ready first.

And the backhaul is installed through a sub-subcontractor to Ericsson.

Maybe they are trying to get to the customers that have the worst data speeds first? This would make sense if they are losing customers due to those bad towers. I would fix the towers producing less than 100kbs than the ones producing 1mb first. Help the people in need :ty:

Maybe they are trying to get to the customers that have the worst data speeds first? This would make sense if they are losing customers due to those bad towers. I would fix the towers producing less than 100kbs than the ones producing 1mb first. Help the people in need :ty:

That would be nice, but unfortunately that's not how it working. They are doing which ever sites have permitting, backhaul etc done first. So there is no real order to site production.

That would be nice, but unfortunately that's not how it working. They are doing which ever sites have permitting, backhaul etc done first. So there is no real order to site production.

Well progress is better than no progress regardless. So we have our answer.

Well progress is better than no progress regardless. So we have our answer.

Exactly. Robert posted about this elsewhere, I don't remember where, but essentially, if Sprint had waited until sites were ready for a strategic deployment, we would still be waiting for the first markets to start. By jumping on any and every tower that is ready to be upgraded, no matter where it is, they are much farther along. However, it makes it seems much less organized, and makes the coverage seem worse to the consumer. However, it will work out better for us in the long run.

I'm not asking a question as much as I am making an observation. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. On one street in my area (a very long street that covers a few municipalities) there are five towers. From north to south lets call them A, B, C, D, and E.

A is complete (panels and cabinets)

B has not been started (inside of a fenced news building)

C is complete (panels and cabinets)

D is not complete (inside of a Progress Energy Substation)

E is complete (rooftop site)

This is a stretch of about 5 miles. I'm thinking they are trying to make a little cluster in this area and this street is a main north/south corridor in Pinellas County. It makes perfect sense that they are trying to build this stretch out but the skipped sites is what has me curious. Yes it could be permitting issues but all of the sites seem to be a pain in the butt to get access . The substation for example may require the power company to be involved, the news station might be the same The other thing too using my letters above there is another cluster. Starting at A and moving west there is a F, which has panels and cabinets, a G where panels were just installed and cabinet was set, and a H which has no work done, but a permit pulled. H seems to be extremely cramped in space where I'm not sure where the cabinets are going to be set (possible problem child site) Its all speculation on my part of course but it seems that if a site is going to be high maintenance they are skipping it.

This is the way American Towers does it, but I know some places have towers owned by White Castle...

Yeah, I heard that a wireless nerd focused sequel is in the works called "Harold & Kumar Go to the White Castle Tower."

Now, are you sure that you did not mean Crown Castle?

AJ

• Like 3

Tampa deployment is depressing and I need something to talk about so humour me please. :D

I can favour you with some off colour humour, my good neighbour.

AJ

• Like 1

Yeah, I heard that a wireless nerd focused sequel is in the works called "Harold & Kumar Go to the White Castle Tower."

Now, are you sure that you did not mean Crown Castle?

AJ

LMAO! Yes, I meant Crown Castle. I must've been hungry when I was typing.

• Like 1

LMAO! Yes, I meant Crown Castle. I must've been hungry when I was typing.

Emmmm...Krystal Burger. *drool*

I love eating Krystal when I go back to Florida to visit family. We do not have Krystal or White Castle here in the West. About 10 years ago, Krystal had Vidalia Onion Rings. Those were the best. I was so sad when I was back in Florida in 2008 and they had gotten rid of them. :(

Robert

• Like 1

I love eating Krystal when I go back to Florida to visit family. We do not have Krystal or White Castle here in the West. About 10 years ago, Krystal had Vidalia Onion Rings. Those were the best. I was so sad when I was back in Florida in 2008 and they had gotten rid of them. :(

Robert

Really, no Krystals out there? I already felt bad when I realized there's no Publix's out there. I work at my local Publix - tell you what. I heard you love Publix's Sweet Iced Tea. If you ever come near my store - tea's on me. Lol!

• Like 1

I'm not entirely sure what your question is, but I've talked with American Towers and gotten information out of them. They have it setup so that Sprint employees can place a request on a site (for example, adding backhaul to it) and that when American Tower reviews it, they approve it and give them a permit. The permit lasts for 60 days (so Sprint must finish the upgrades in 60 days) and that the antenna installation will require another permit. This is all I know of and it's probably different per site. This is the way American Towers does it, but I know some places have towers owned by White Castle and you can find out how their system works by looking up White Castle Towers on google and such. For rooftop panels, I'd assume they contact whoever owns the building and request permission to work on the antennas on the top, also backhaul requests.

EDIT: They appear to be working on sites that have backhaul ready first.

And the backhaul is installed through a sub-subcontractor to Ericsson.

White Castle??? I would like to request a permit from White Castle for some sliders, fries and some sodas. I think you mean Crown Castle Tower company.

I think it's probably a matter of tower companies own not usually one tower ina community but lots. Sprint can get permits at multiple sites at once. This makes it far easier then having to go to the electric company where you would need special permissions at each site. So American owns let's say 5 towers ina community the permit process would be the same four all 5 towers so one shot. Going to a utility company gets you a site.. Then a school another tower castle 8 towers. The office building in the park. Another towr.

Path of least resistance

Robert

Just don't eat and sleep at Krystal Burger after an Alabama football game. ;)

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 2