The Ting Thread

iansltx

Ting has their own official forum, but I'm curious as to how many folks on here have their service. Or am I the only one? Well, not me exactly, but two (will soon be three) members of my immediate family (mom and brothers), all using LG Marquees, one of which is running CTMod (the other two will get it eventually).

What's funny is that their combined monthly bill will be less than mine. Then again, I have a high-end subsidized phone that gets used quite a bit more than theirs will be.

• Like 1

it looks like i would be paying roughly $60 a month with taxes and whatnot. i currently pay sprint 70 with my employer discount, factor in buying the gs3 at full retail. doesnt sound like i would save much. but i can see wehere people who do not use as much data as i do would see a significant savings

it looks like i would be paying roughly $60 a month with taxes and whatnot. i currently pay sprint 70 with my employer discount, factor in buying the gs3 at full retail. doesnt sound like i would save much. but i can see wehere people who do not use as much data as i do would see a significant savings

My usage has really dropped over the last year and I have looked @Ting pretty hard. At this point it doesn't look like they would save me any money but I went ahead and signed up for their new "Bring your own handset" beta that looks like will be starting before the new year. Figured I would try it and then hand it off to a family member who pays over $60/month on VZW for a old flip phone with no camera, text or data. I doubt I will be able to get them to switch evening though their bill is not a real value.

One interesting thing about ting. It has voice roaming.

Voice and SMS roaming, actually.

This is one HUGE (okay, not huge but quite large) benefit compared to, say, Virgin Mobile. My mom was carrying around a Nokia Tracfone (VZW based, VZW postpaid coverage) as a backup for when her Optimus S wouldn't get service. That backup phone is now no longer necessary, saving around $7 per month (to keep the Tracfone active).

TIng doesn't, however, have data roaming. Their reason: it costs something like 10x what Sprint on-net data does. Sounds reasonable enough, since data roaming would seriously muddy their straightforward rate plans/billing system.

• Like 1

Voice and SMS roaming, actually.

This is one HUGE (okay, not huge but quite large) benefit compared to, say, Virgin Mobile. My mom was carrying around a Nokia Tracfone (VZW based, VZW postpaid coverage) as a backup for when her Optimus S wouldn't get service. That backup phone is now no longer necessary, saving around $7 per month (to keep the Tracfone active).

TIng doesn't, however, have data roaming. Their reason: it costs something like 10x what Sprint on-net data does. Sounds reasonable enough, since data roaming would seriously muddy their straightforward rate plans/billing system.

I never knew it was only voice roaming. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking into that as well. The thing I'm wondering about is the status of my Airrave. If I wait until I'm out of contract does the Airrave belong to me or do I have to send it back. Until Sprint turns up the 800 smr in my area I definitely need it. Then the other problem is I have a box of old Sprint phones that I could BYOD, but non of them are compatible on 800 smr. This wouldn't be a problem since Ting has voice and data roaming but I'm still close enough that the phones toggle back and forth from Sprint to the old Alltel CDMA in my area now operated by AT&T. Oh we'll I guess I have another year left on my contract so there is no urgency to my decision. I'm in the Denver market in Southwest Colorado so I guess it will be awhile before I have to worry about upgrades or 800 smr anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched from Virgin Mobile to ting last month, because ting offers LTE, which doesn't seem to be on the horizon for VM. My monthly bill went up by $6 per month - well worth it for better speed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Has anybody here used them? I first heard their commercial on Joe Rogan's podcast. It seems that they are reseller of Sprint network. You can bring over your Sprint phone if you switch to them (only for a few phones.). The nicest part of of this company is their pricing model as they credit you back unused minutes, data, & text. Moreover, if you go over your limit they automatically bump you to the next plan up instead of charging you inflated overages.

Financially it doesn't work for me as through my company I'm eligible for the Sprint Employer Discount.

http://www.ting.com/

The other thing that jumps out at me is roaming agreements (or lack thereof). I love that fact that as a Sprint customer I roam to Verizon 3G when Sprint is not available.

My wife doesn't use much data so I am considering moving to Ting from Sprint after Sprint changed the way employer discounts are handled (To the discounted employee line ONLY rather than all lines). That change bumped my bill up enough to annoy me. I have a small ETF still but I am leaning heavily to going to Ting when my contract ends in June rather than re-upping with Sprint. Maybe I will reconsider Sprint when triband phones come out and the network here shows improvement.

The rest of my family has been on Ting (my e-mail is associated with their account) for a few months now. What started out as a couple of LG Marquee refurbs is now an LG Marquee (littlest brother, who doesn't use his phone all that much), two Galaxy Victories (one used ex-Ting, one used ex-Sprint brought over soon after BYOSD allowed LTE phones) and my dad's Samsung M370 refurb (a $40 phone is less painful when ruined than a $150 phone).

In the case of my mom and brother (the two Victories), their coverage was upgraded when switching to Ting; they both previously had Virgin Mobile, though my mom kept a Tracfone on Verizon for areas without Sprint coverage. You get voice and SMS while roaming, which is fine for them since when roaming that's generally all they need. No roaming data, but the only 3G roaming that I know of in this area is one or two ex-Alltel sites, and that's not worth signing a contract for.

My dad, who moved from an AT&T Tracfone (and before that a Verizon Tracfone) has more or less comparable coverage to what he had before (remember, we're talking about someone who uses practically no data on a non-smartphone).

After making it clear to these family members that voice and texts are dirt cheap, but data is not, usage across the four lines has settled into the 1000 minute, 1000 text and 1000 MB tiers, for a total cost of $71 + taxes and fees per month. Yes, three $93 phones were bought not long ago, and two $150 phones were purchased more recently (plus a $50 phone). But with the monthly pricing we're coming out ahead, particularly if you compare to Verizon, where those same four lines would be $30 + $40 + $40 + $40 + $50 = $200 plus taxes and fees with a Share Everything plan. Even EPRP would run us $140 + taxes and fees...which would put us about even if I rolled my individual plan in as the fifth line but then we're all under contract and I'm not quite halfway through mine.

For their usage patterns (a fair chunk of voice and SMS, plus a reasonable amount of data) Ting works excellently, and I've been pretty impressed with their customer service (though I wish they had live chat customer service in addition to their phone, email and Twitter channels...yeah I'm choosy). I probably won't switch in the foreseeable future, as I don't want to stop using 3GB or more of data per month (about 80% on 4G at this point...that number will probably hit 90% next billing cycle), despite my low minute/SMS usage. But if Ting's data charges were half of what they are, Ting would at that point be good enough for even I to consider paying my Sprint ETF and switching to them, allowing me the freedom to upgrade my phone when I felt like it rather than once every ~22 months.

• 2 months later...

So, I did sign up for Ting after my contract ended as I plan to wait for triband phones to come out and I am actually quite happy so far. I got a promotion so I spend 90% less time driving around which means my actual mobile data use has plummeted. The customer service is great as they really do mean it when they say you won't have to wait on hold to call them. Porting #s + phones took about 3 hours total for both lines which is not too bad. My previous bill for 2 lines at Sprint with employee discount + taxes was $157/mo. My last month at Ting cost me only $74 with taxes (actually $49 with the referral code I used). That is pretty great considering I get voice/SMS roaming and I didn't have to purchase new phones as our EVO3Ds work fine for now. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer them.

oh and I almost forgot my absolutely shameless referral code plug below. You save $25 and I save $25 if you use it.

https://za8ilf19763.ting.com/

So, I did sign up for Ting after my contract ended as I plan to wait for triband phones to come out and I am actually quite happy so far. I got a promotion so I spend 90% less time driving around which means my actual mobile data use has plummeted. The customer service is great as they really do mean it when they say you won't have to wait on hold to call them. Porting #s + phones took about 3 hours total for both lines which is not too bad. My previous bill for 2 lines at Sprint with employee discount + taxes was $157/mo. My last month at Ting cost me only $74 with taxes (actually $49 with the referral code I used). That is pretty great considering I get voice/SMS roaming and I didn't have to purchase new phones as our EVO3Ds work fine for now. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer them.

oh and I almost forgot my absolutely shameless referral code plug below. You save $25 and I save $25 if you use it.

https://za8ilf19763.ting.com/

That's pretty sweet. So I'm still on an employee advantage plan with sprint and need an airwaves at my home location. Unfortunately, I found out that with a complementary Airave if you stop using it or cancel service you have to return it to technical support. I guess it isn't really unfortunate as Sprint provided the hardware and waived the monthly service fee for me to continue to receive highly discounted service when I moved to our current home. Hopefully when 800 SMR fires up in my area the Airave can go to another subscriber, but for the time being it is a must.

That's pretty sweet. So I'm still on an employee advantage plan with sprint and need an airwaves at my home location. Unfortunately, I found out that with a complementary Airave if you stop using it or cancel service you have to return it to technical support. I guess it isn't really unfortunate as Sprint provided the hardware and waived the monthly service fee for me to continue to receive highly discounted service when I moved to our current home. Hopefully when 800 SMR fires up in my area the Airave can go to another subscriber, but for the time being it is a must.

I believe Ting does sell the Airrave (for like $250 bucks, ugh) but they may supply you with one as well if you call in and ask. Maybe if you tell them your current setup you can keep the Airrave and transfer service to Ting?

• 1 month later...

https://ting.com/blog/where-do-ting-customers-come-from/

Really interesting blog post about where Ting customers come from:

30% Verizon

28% Sprint

21% AT&T

12% T-Mobile

9% Other

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I thought with the byod it would be a lot more from sprint than it is.

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

https://ting.com/blog/where-do-ting-customers-come-from/

Really interesting blog post about where Ting customers come from:

30% Verizon

28% Sprint 

21% AT&T 

12% T-Mobile

9% Other

Interesting read.

I have been considering get a non-smart phone to carry around while cycling just in case. Since I probably would almost never need it, Ting seems like the way to go.

Interesting read.

I have been considering get a non-smart phone to carry around while cycling just in case. Since I probably would almost never need it, Ting seems like the way to go.

Another option is: http://www.lycamobile.us/en/national-plans , a company that is growing around the world.

The bottom plan.

I agree with the conclusion that GSM users value the flexibility a SIM card offers. Hopefully if and when SoftBank tells Sprint to start shipping future phones unlocked out of the box like VZW does, they will have an easier time attracting customers from AT&T and T-Mobile. More reasonable data rates also wouldn't hurt.

On another note, I wonder if Sensorly recognizes Ting signals as Sprint like it does for Boost and VM phones.