Sprint to buy spectrum, customers from USCC

bigsnake49

Merge the USCC network in STL and Chicago into the native list -- no 300MB limit, no need to force roam or use an "unauthorized" corporate PRL to get 3G roaming. I've used said PRL to roam on USCC's 3G network at times in STL, and their network fills in a lot of the spots where Sprint is lacking in signal strength and/or data capacity.

Unfortunately, what you propose would not work as intended. Sprint could push out new PRLs and tag the USCC Chicago and St. Louis SIDs as native instead of roaming, but that does not mean that all of a sudden you would get the best of the Sprint and USCC networks simultaneously.

Yes, you would have access to both networks -- but only one network at a time. You would have to be in area of no service for Sprint for your handset to switch to USCC. Weak signal strength or slow data speeds would not cause your handset to switch over to the USCC network. That is not how PRLs work.

Furthermore, under your proposal, you could not even force your handset to "roam" on USCC any longer, since the USCC SIDs would be tagged as native.

AJ

I think Sprint is paying for metered usage on USCC's network, not just a flat fee. So I'm not optimistic that this would happen. And then there would be loss of service when they do finally shut down USCC network. Which would then tick off Sprint customers too after getting used to USCC coverage.

I'd assume that the metered usage agreement could -- and I'd think would -- be changed as a part of this agreement. If Sprint owns the frequencies and the customers at closing, but will continue to have USCC operate the network for a period of time, I'd think you'd be doing that under terms that are different from a standard roaming agreement.

Unfortunately, what you propose would not work as intended. Sprint could push out new PRLs and tag the USCC Chicago and St. Louis SIDs as native instead of roaming, but that does not mean that all of a sudden you would get the best of the Sprint and USCC networks simultaneously.

Yes, you would have access to both networks -- but only one network at a time. You would have to be in area of no service for Sprint for your handset to switch to USCC. Weak signal strength or slow data speeds would not cause your handset to switch over to the USCC network. That is not how PRLs work.

Furthermore, under your proposal, you could not even force your handset to "roam" on USCC any longer, since the USCC SIDs would be tagged as native.

AJ

Interesting -- hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense. So is the only way to make something like this work is to go a step further and change the USCC towers to Sprint's SID and push them a new PRL that has Sprint's SID as the home SID? I'd imagine doing that seamlessly would be difficult if not impractical.

But I'd think that these kind of issues would have to be resolved somehow for the transition to work for USCC customers though -- assuming Sprint wants to use these frequencies right away and not wait until all customers are off the USCC network (maybe that's not a valid assumption). First, can Sprint even deploy on the frequencies without the USCC equipment being shut down? If not, wouldn't they need to have the old and new towers working seamlessly as one network for the benefit of USCC customers? Or are the complexities/impracticalities of this going to dictate that Sprint can't put these frequencies to use for the Sprint network for a couple years when they can completely shut the USCC network down?

I'd assume that the metered usage agreement could -- and I'd think would -- be changed as a part of this agreement. If Sprint owns the frequencies and the customers at closing' date=' but will continue to have USCC operate the network for a period of time, I'd think you'd be doing that under terms that are different from a standard roaming agreement.

[/quote']

I wasn't referring to their roaming agreement now. I'm referring to the purchase agreement. I believe I remember reading that Sprint will take over billing on the affected USCC customers and in turn pays USCC for usage of these customers on the USCC network, right from day one. Sprint will be trying to get these customers to move over to Sprint devices quickly and off the USCC network.

Sprint gets no part of the USCC network in this deal. They have to pay USCC for their newly acquired customers to use the USCC network. Also, you can guarantee that USCC is no longer doing any upgrades, additional carriers or backhaul to the network in these markets. The network will be dismantled when Sprint stops paying for their new customers to use it.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Interesting -- hadn't thought about that' date=' but it makes sense. So is the only way to make something like this work is to go a step further and change the USCC towers to Sprint's SID and push them a new PRL that has Sprint's SID as the home SID? I'd imagine doing that seamlessly would be difficult if not impractical.

[/quote']

USCC is not going to change their network to be Sprint native. It's their network. Sprint didn't buy it. Just spectrum. Sprint will be paying USCC to use its network for its USCC customers. As each USCC customer upgrades to a Sprint device, the USCC network gets less use and slowly fades to obscurity.

Hopefully, as you outline, Sprint has worked in the deal that they can start using the spectrum early and have USCC start shutting down carriers as their network usage dwindles.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

First, can Sprint even deploy on the frequencies without the USCC equipment being shut down?

Hopefully, as you outline, Sprint has worked in the deal that they can start using the spectrum early and have USCC start shutting down carriers as their network usage dwindles.

I probably should have included this in my article on The Wall. Instead, I added it as a comment to my article:

In Chicago, Ft. Wayne, South Bend, Springfield, and Champaign, where Sprint's PCS D block 10 MHz license is directly adjacent to USCC's PCS B block 20 MHz license as I detail in the article, Sprint and USCC may very soon be able to drop the guard bands between their two respective licenses, freeing up a conditional CDMA2000 carrier channel assignment -- PCS 0400 -- which could be used to provide additional EV-DO capacity, for example.

In short, Sprint and USCC can refarm the guard band between their adjacent licenses into a CDMA2000 carrier in the PCS 0400 carrier channel assignment.

http://s4gru.com/ind...road-shoulders/

AJ

• Like 2

So is the only way to make something like this work is to go a step further and change the USCC towers to Sprint's SID and push them a new PRL that has Sprint's SID as the home SID? I'd imagine doing that seamlessly would be difficult if not impractical.

Yes, that is basically the only way to get Sprint sites to handoff to USCC sites (and vice versa). And it would be highly impractical, as Sprint and USCC would have to harmonize their two networks (MSCs, PN offsets, neighbor lists), only to tear down the USCC network in two years.

So, probably not gonna happen...

AJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sprint-USCC PCS spectrum assignment applications are finally up on the FCC ULS:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=7180849

If the filing contains anything particularly noteworthy, I will update my article on The Wall from a month ago:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-334-sprint-uscc-spectrum-deal-sprint-gets-20-mhz-broader-in-the-city-of-broad-shoulders/

AJ

• Like 1

I was in Royal City, WA the other day, where US Cellular has EVDO and LTE, and of course my phone only roamed '1x', such a shame. :(

You can get the EV-DO with a different PRL (24xxx series).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, I have updated the article on The Wall to reflect some additional info gleaned from the now posted FCC filing.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-334-updated-sprint-uscc-spectrum-deal-sprint-gets-20-mhz-broader-in-the-city-of-broad-shoulders/

AJ

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsfamr31t37ye1j/US%20Cellular%20License%20Transfer%20to%20Sprint.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7p9hgky9zzceb0/US%20Cellular%20License.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/23jz4gk7kujjjrp/US%20Cellular%20Map.pdf

The license being transferred from USCC to Sprint actually seems to cover more area than they indicate on their map. It also covers more counties than are listed on that spread sheet. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

What band has USCC been deploying LTE on? USCC has LTE deployed in some of the areas indicated on the FCC map of the license that is indicated to be transferred to Sprint. I assume the LTE customers are also transferred, irrespective if the underlying license is transferred.

I suspect US Cellular has better coverage in a lot of the geography indicated in the FCC maps (I suspect the same is true in areas on the USCellularinfo page). What happens to the network in the places where USCC covered, but Sprint does not?

I wonder how much USCC actually ends up with other than reduced operating expenses. It surely won't be cheap to remove all of the old gear and terminate the leases for towers they don't own. I wonder if they'll transfer the towers they do own to one of the tower companies. I'm trying to rent space on one they own as we speak.

https://www.dropbox....lular%20Map.pdf

The license being transferred from USCC to Sprint actually seems to cover more area than they indicate on their map. It also covers more counties than are listed on that spread sheet. Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

The map linked above is of the entire Chicago MTA because the license being transferred is a PCS B block MTA based license. However, the license being assigned is a partition and disaggregation derived from the original PrimeCo license, which VZW still holds. So, for example, Rockford and Peoria are included within the Chicago MTA, but those are USCC Cellular 850 MHz markets and are not being transferred to Sprint.

What band has USCC been deploying LTE on? USCC has LTE deployed in some of the areas indicated on the FCC map of the license that is indicated to be transferred to Sprint. I assume the LTE customers are also transferred, irrespective if the underlying license is transferred.

Reportedly, USCC has deployed LTE thus far only in Lower 700 MHz spectrum.

I suspect US Cellular has better coverage in a lot of the geography indicated in the FCC maps (I suspect the same is true in areas on the USCellularinfo page). What happens to the network in the places where USCC covered, but Sprint does not?

Why do you suspect that? The markets being transferred to Sprint are USCC CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900 only markets. No Cellular 850 MHz are affected. From my research, the coverage differences between USCC and Sprint in these PCS 1900 MHz only markets are minimal.

AJ

The map linked above is of the entire Chicago MTA because the license being transferred is a PCS B block MTA based license. However, the license being assigned is a partition and disaggregation derived from the original PrimeCo license, which VZW still holds.

Okay, I'll look into that a little more. The first cell phone I had in my own name was a PrimeCo.

Why do you suspect that? The markets being transferred to Sprint are USCC CDMA1X/EV-DO 1900 only markets. No Cellular 850 MHz are affected. From my research, the coverage differences between USCC and Sprint in these PCS 1900 MHz only markets are minimal.

Personal experience.

• 4 months later...

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2591

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), May 17, 2013 - Sprint (NYSE: S) today completed its transaction with U.S. Cellular (NYSE: USM) to acquire 20MHz of PCS spectrum in various Midwest markets including Chicago, South Bend, Ind., and Champaign, Ill., and 10MHz of PCS spectrum in the St. Louis market. The additional spectrum will significantly increase Sprint’s network capacity and further improve the customer experience in these markets. In addition, the transaction includes approximately 420,000 U.S. Cellular customers.
  • Like 2

They should start using that spectrum yesterday.

It is being leased back to USCC for a transition period.

AJ

I would expect those offers to be limited to USCC subs with acceptable credit. And that might exclude many, as the anecdotal evidence of sub prime customer base in Chicago and St. Louis continues.

AJ

I would expect those offers to be limited to USCC subs with acceptable credit. And that might exclude many, as the anecdotal evidence of sub prime customer base in Chicago and St. Louis continues.

AJ

It does require credit approval, but so far with the customers I've switched over, that approval hasn't been a problem. 

• Like 1

I wonder how soon can Sprint begin to deploy the US Cellular spectrum in Chicago to add more capacity relief on their NV towers.

I thought Sprint was leasing the Spectrum back to USCC until they shutdown their network or the customer transition period completes, something like 12 months

I thought Sprint was leasing the Spectrum back to USCC until they shutdown their network or the customer transition period completes, something like 12 months

That could be true.  I just saw that the deal is complete with USCC and I would expect that there would be a transition period given that the spectrum is actively deployed on USCC network.  Also there needs to be some time between the two companies to hand off USCC customers to Sprint.  Hopefully this can be resolved by the end of this year.