Update to CDMA Field Test to read LTE

None of the LTE connections appeared in the log that was exported. (This feature is what I most want in such an app, because I can always see the basic LTE connections data by watching my stock LTE Engineering screen.) There is no display or logging of the cell/sector IDs that are available in my LTE Engineering screen.

Further inspection shows that I was wrong here. There is LTE signal-strength data in a few of the records in the log file BSLocationLog.csv, in additional columns that have been added to the record in this version of CDMA Field Test.:

But these values are conflated with the CDMA data on the same records (rows), which I assume were being logged concurrently. But as we know, the CDMA connections and the LTE connections really have nothing to do with each other except timing coincidence. Otherwise, they really don't belong in the same logical record. I presume that the time stamp covers both the CDMA and LTE signals, which of course could be from different towers altogether. But it is not apparent to me what event causes a new record to be written to the log at all. I don't think it is simply driven by timed polling. So some LTE properties that are logged can be parsed out, with big caveats.

The new columns are:

• lte signal strength -- A mystery integer. In my samples, the values found range from 11 to 31. I speculate that this represents some conversion to ASU scale.
  • rsrp -- This does apparently contains the RSRP in dBm units that we are familiar with, including the minus sign.
  • rsrq -- This does apparently contain the RSRQ as integers in the expected dB units.
  • rssnr - This apparently is the signal-to-noise ration for the LTE signal as integer values in ranges that I don't recognize when comparing it to decimal-point values I typically see in the SNR column of my LTE Engineering screen. Perhaps if we divide by 10 we get comparable units?
  • cqi - In my samples all the LTE records have this field populated with the constant 2147483647, which is just Java's max int value. So in my samples this column is basically dummy filled. Apparently this is the "Lte Cqi2147483647" string sometimes displayed on the app's screen.

In all CDMA records that presumably have no LTE signal associated with them, all these 5 columns of the CSV log contain the string "null".

So far as I can tell, there still is nothing that logs the LTE cell/sector radios by their own IDs, as we have been doing interactively from our LTE Engineering screens to map against physical towers in field surveys. This remains a major shortcoming of this tool's log. The only identifying IDs present in the log belong to the conflated CDMA identifiers (BSID, etc.). And of course the lat/lon coordinates in each record are broadcast by the CDMA base stations, not the LTE sites.

guess samsung screwed it up with the jb update on ssgs3 (sucky signal from laundry room)

My Viper started doing that today with the BSID, SID, & NID. It was working this morning though.

Is there any way in the CDMA Field Test app to determine if you connected to 1900 or 800SMR? I know in the DEBUG you can see the band class or channel # but I don't see anything in the Field Test app.

Thanks.

reflashed different modems, seems to fixed the issue.

Which modem did you flash in specific? Mine's been this way for a while. Running stock JB rooted now, but was running the last official stock ICS rooted also and it wasn't showing the BSID, SID & NID either. It used to work fine, not sure when exactly it quit.

Is there any way in the CDMA Field Test app to determine if you connected to 1900 or 800SMR? I know in the DEBUG you can see the band class or channel # but I don't see anything in the Field Test app.

The SID should tell you.... 2xxxx SIDs are apparently being used for 800 SMR, while 4xxx SIDs are used for 1900 PCS. See http://s4gru.com/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showentry=131

• Like 2

Which modem did you flash in specific? Mine's been this way for a while. Running stock JB rooted now' date=' but was running the last official stock ICS rooted also and it wasn't showing the BSID, SID & NID either. It used to work fine, not sure when exactly it quit.[/quote']

l13 and then lj7 again. I Also reflashed rom.

Sent from my SSGS3 using Forum Runner

• 4 weeks later...

Don't update to the Dec 4th version. It won't load on my Note now. Luckily have a back up in Titanium so I can roll back.

Sent from a little old Note 2

Yeah, CDMA Field Test is dead to me now. Dead! :lol:

Robert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...