Verizon's 3rd quarter 2012 results

bigsnake49

Verizon Wireless, 45 percent owned by Vodafone Group Plc (VOD), added 1.54 million net contract customers in the quarter, beating the 901,000 estimate by analysts.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-18/verizon-earnings-rise-as-bills-increase-on-iphone-usage

I wonder how many of those were IDEN customers.

I just don't understand how people can be fooled into using ludicrously expensive "share" plans no matter how good the service is.

The way I look at it, my family gets to share unlimited for just a $30 additional device fee per month with Sprint. At VZW, they still pay a per device fee as well, and then get the privilege of sharing a pool of data.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Verizon is marketing their plans very well and making the customer feel as if they are saving. The average customer doesn't use a lot of data like the power users on this site. Some customers actually save at first but as time go on and users switches to LTE devices data usage starts to go up. Also I forgot to mention that the biggest reason people switch to share everything plans is to get subsidized devices.

Around here, people are leaving for VZW because of coverage. This is a very rural, hilly, tree-ey area, so VZW's 850 Ceullular and 750 LTE (on a tower co-located with Sprint), and many fringe areas (where Nextel once reached before iDEN thinning), well, VZW has good service with LTE and Sprint has "fair" on their coverage map.

Of course, Sprint will be just as good come ESMR, but that doesn't stop iDEN migration customers from leaving now.

Now, Sprint is also building customers, a pretty good amount actually. I cannot speak to numbers or specifics, but I can say that the store I work at is doing far from bad.

Verizon Wireless, 45 percent owned by Vodafone Group Plc (VOD), added 1.54 million net contract customers in the quarter, beating the 901,000 estimate by analysts.

http://www.businessw...on-iphone-usage

I wonder how many of those were IDEN customers.

Probably 90%. I've seen plenty of companies my store deals with leave sprint for verizon in the last 6 months in Chicago.

You know, I'm getting mildly annoyed at everyone acting like they are superior to Verizon customers because they "pay less" for their plan. Upon switching from Sprint to Verizon, my monthly plan went up $30 for 3 lines. I have 4GB per line and if I switched to the shared plan, I would save a few bucks per month based on my usage (but I would have a smaller available data pool). Maybe I'm stupid for dumping my unlimited 40kbps Sprint plan for a tiered 35Mbps Verizon plan that I can visibly notice a difference in coverage (where I roamed, or had zero Sprint/roaming coverage, I now have LTE). Or maybe different plans/carriers work for different people.

The same as S4GRU moderators don't allow rants regarding Sprint, there should not be unhelpful rants against other carriers, or their customers.

What's next? Is someone going to come in here and say that cable TV customers are suckers because Dish is cheaper? What if you live in an area that rains often, rendering the dish unusable? Or you are a Walking Dead fan and Dish doesn't carry AMC? But you're saving money, and you can watch all the HGTV you want.

You know, I'm getting mildly annoyed at everyone acting like they are superior to Verizon customers because they "pay less" for their plan. Upon switching from Sprint to Verizon, my monthly plan went up $30 for 3 lines. I have 4GB per line and if I switched to the shared plan, I would save a few bucks per month based on my usage (but I would have a smaller available data pool). Maybe I'm stupid for dumping my unlimited 40kbps Sprint plan for a tiered 35Mbps Verizon plan that I can visibly notice a difference in coverage (where I roamed, or had zero Sprint/roaming coverage, I now have LTE). Or maybe different plans/carriers work for different people.

The same as S4GRU moderators don't allow rants regarding Sprint, there should not be unhelpful rants against other carriers, or their customers.

What's next? Is someone going to come in here and say that cable TV customers are suckers because Dish is cheaper? What if you live in an area that rains often, rendering the dish unusable? Or you are a Walking Dead fan and Dish doesn't carry AMC? But you're saving money, and you can watch all the HGTV you want.

True, but I get good speeds on sprint so for me, a high data user, it's definitely worth it to stick with sprint. I know it's not targeted at me but I only bring up the negatives of Verizon when I'm defending Sprint. Every carrier has its negatives, they just vary.

You know' date=' I'm getting mildly annoyed at everyone acting like they are superior to Verizon customers because they "pay less" for their plan. Upon switching from Sprint to Verizon, my monthly plan went up 30 for 3 lines. I have 4GB per line and if I switched to the shared plan, I would save a few bucks per month based on my usage (but I would have a smaller available data pool). Maybe I'm stupid for dumping my unlimited 40kbps Sprint plan for a tiered 35Mbps Verizon plan that I can visibly notice a difference in coverage (where I roamed, or had zero Sprint/roaming coverage, I now have LTE). Or maybe different plans/carriers work for different people.

What's next? Is someone going to come in here and say that cable TV customers are suckers because Dish is cheaper? What if you live in an area that rains often, rendering the dish unusable? Or you are a Walking Dead fan and Dish doesn't carry AMC? But you're saving money, and you can watch all the HGTV you want.[/quote']

Are you ranting against ranting? ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Are you ranting against ranting? ;)

Rant²

AJ

• Like 1

Or you are a Walking Dead fan and Dish doesn't carry AMC? But you're saving money, and you can watch all the HGTV you want.

Just thought I'd toss out, I got an email from Dish (I've been a customer for years) about 2 hours ago stating they'd reached an agreement with Voom, which not only restores AMC on channel 131 but also involves spectrum gains:

DISH Network and Voom Reach Settlement

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 10/21/12 -- DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH)

• Terms call for DISH to pay $700 million in cash; DISH to receive certain wireless spectrum licenses
  • DISH enters multi-year agreement to carry AMC, IFC, WE tv, Sundance Channel and Fuse; AMC channel broadcast resumes Sunday, October 21

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that its subsidiary, DISH Network L.L.C., has settled all of its pending litigation with Voom HD Holdings LLC.

Terms of the settlement call for DISH Network to pay $700 million in cash. As part of the agreement, DISH will receive 500 MHz of wireless multichannel video distribution and data service ("MVDDS") spectrum licenses that cover a population of 150 million in 45 DMAs including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

As part of a separate, multi-year agreement, DISH will resume broadcast of the AMC channel Sunday, October 21. The AMC channel will be carried on DISH channel 131.

"We are glad to have settled the case and reestablished our long-term relationships with AMC Networks and Cablevision," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming at DISH. "This multi-year deal delivers a fair value for both parties and includes digital expansion opportunities for AMC Networks' programming."

Other AMC Networks programming, including Sundance Channel, WE tv and IFC, will return to DISH Nov. 1. The Madison Square Garden Company's music-oriented Fuse channel will begin broadcast Nov. 1, as well.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.061 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

Robert Toevs

303-723-2010

Source: DISH Network

• Like 1

They are just going to squat on that spectrum like they always have. And this isn't the only one either.

It rains a bunch in my area but no issues here when I had dish and no issues now with Directv. Love the 5 tuner dvr combined with another 2 tuner dvr. Recording 7 things at a time is awesome stuff. Any receiver in the house can watch anything recorded. All with one coax, SWM is awesome. That hopper system is a joke. 3 tuners and other rooms have to borrow one of the three tuners. Yuck.

Now you can rant on me too.

Btw.. Love Verizon! Wouldn't be with Sprint without them :)

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1