So..Clearwire...

Sprint's been going on and on about consistency and average speeds (6-8 mbps compared to their competitors who's speeds are much higher). This isn't a problem, but when Clearwire comes into the picture, they're rolling out 20x20 Mhz spectrum in many markets, this means that speeds can roughly be up to 90 mbps, right? Is Clearwire adding more towers, overlaying their spectrum on Sprint towers, or just deploying LTE Advanced on their current Clearwire Wimax towers?

Also, what's keeping Clearwire from deploying LTE Advanced now? Is it funding? I know they have the spectrum required for such a task, but with Softbank/Sprint investment, wouldn't it be a good idea for Clearwire to start its rollout or... what?

I agree it's likely but Hesse stated the opposite at the Q&A.

No, he didn't state the opposite. He said purchasing Clearwire was not a requirement of the deal. I would not rule out Clearwire being bought out by Sprint.

Robert

• Like 5

No, he didn't state the opposite. He said purchasing Clearwire was not a requirement of the deal. I would not rule out Clearwire being bought out by Sprint.

Robert

Oh, I misunderstood that then. I was half asleep during the Q&A anyways. :ninja:

Clearwire got bloated after the news that SoftBank was interested in Sprint. I believe they jumped up 70% the day the story broke. I believe the price of the stock was just 1.30 a few days ago. Sprint will probably wait til the price goes back down before swallowing them up. Son mentioned horrible Speed in his presentation. I believe Clearwire will be their key to giving users ultra fast speeds. If the go with the original plan of having Clearwire on every tower, Sprint would be able to deliver 60-90Mbps with unlimited data. They would truly shake up the wireless industry with those speeds.

I believe the main reason sprint made this deal was to get some funding to be ready for some consolidation. I believe Sprint thought that the consolidation would start in 2013 when they would be more prepared(iDEN would be shut down), but DT bought Metro now. Sprint has to get some capital to grab a player or two. They will not want ATT or Tmobile to grab the other regional guys.

Clearwire got bloated after the news that SoftBank was interested in Sprint. I believe they jumped up 70% the day the story broke. I believe the price of the stock was just 1.30 a few days ago. Sprint will probably wait til the price goes back down before swallowing them up. Son mentioned horrible Speed in his presentation. I believe Clearwire will be their key to giving users ultra fast speeds. If the go with the original plan of having Clearwire on every tower, Sprint would be able to deliver 60-90Mbps with unlimited data. They would truly shake up the wireless industry with those speeds.

I believe the main reason sprint made this deal was to get some funding to be ready for some consolidation. I believe Sprint thought that the consolidation would start in 2013 when they would be more prepared(iDEN would be shut down), but DT bought Metro now. Sprint has to get some capital to grab a player or two. They will not want ATT or Tmobile to grab the other regional guys.

The only negative to Clearwire is their frequency that their network runs on. It's almost unusable indoors and it would also require Sprint to add yet another band of support into their devices and adds complexity. It would probably be best for Sprint to acquire one of the regional carriers like Leap or Metro PCS that have PCS spectrum and strengthen Sprint's spectrum holdings.

The only negative to Clearwire is their frequency that their network runs on. It's almost unusable indoors and it would also require Sprint to add yet another band of support into their devices and adds complexity. It would probably be best for Sprint to acquire one of the regional carriers like Leap or Metro PCS that have PCS spectrum and strengthen Sprint's spectrum holdings.

I wouldn't mind them doing this. Imagine LTE 800 on a 20x20mhz band. :P

Lol that would be pretty awesome but realistically, acquiring Metro or Leap would allow them to do a 10x10 or 15x15 1900 deployment in some of their major market. Lord knows Chicago needs the extra spectrum. And you can never have enough spectrum in NYC or CA

It's almost unusable indoors

I have been using wimax indoors for 2 some years, I constantly see people say its unusable but that certainly has not stopped me.

By the way

FYI....Clearwire's network is TDD-LTE so it uses just 20mhz not 20x20mhz. It does the same thing basically just does it in one single channel

I have been using wimax indoors for 2 some years, I constantly see people say its unusable but that certainly has not stopped me.

It all depends on tower location. My work has excellent Wimax coverage, but that's because it's literally right next to the building. At my house, roughly 2 miles away, I get near to no signal. 2500mhz is very high band with relatively low building penetration/coverage. The frequency requires additional towers for optimal performance.

I believe people really underrate Clearwire's spectrum, because of their poor tower placement. Clearwire fudged up their rollout. It is really not as bad as people make it out to be.

verizon-wall.jpg

according to this graph I found on building propagation of the Major US spectrum frequencies. PCS is only 1.3x better than clearwire's spectrum.

Also I prefer more spectrum on a higher band, so the lower band can be used strictly for coverage.

Stupid Question (I'm asking because I simply don't know): Since since "New Sprint" is a holding company with "Sprint" being one of the companies under it, could "Clearwire" be put under "New Sprint" as a separate carrier, giving the holding company control of both, but NOT saddling Sprint with Clearwire's spectrum when it comes to spectrum auctions?

If so... ;)

(Then add in other small companies, giving common control to the holding company, but possibly less hassle with regulatory entities?)

Guest 503ducati

When will clearwire start deployment of there lte?

Build out has just started.

http://www.fiercewir...n-q4/2012-09-19

http://seekingalpha....-the-road-ahead

Clearwire (NASDAQ:CLWR) CFO Hope Cochran said that the company will begin building out its TDD-LTE network this quarter but that construction will pick up significantly in the fourth quarter.

Interestingly' date=' Cochran said that Clearwire will establish a "light" LTE core network that will feed traffic off its LTE sites into the core networks of Sprint, Leap and presumably any other facilities-based carrier that uses Clearwire's network.[/b']

Clearwire used Merrill Lynch's 2012 Media, Communications, and Entertainment Conference to once again remind the market of its leading spectrum position.

Clearwire's spectrum is 100% available for LTE usage, whereas all of its peers need to allocate spectrum to support their legacy networks. It is true that Clearwire's 2.5 GHz spectrum may not be of the caliber of 700 MHz spectrum. But, investors need to remember that Clearwire is approaching its LTE buildout differently than carriers such as AT&T or Verizon. Instead of blanketing the nation with LTE coverage, Clearwire is concentrating on what it calls "Hot Zones," which are dense, urban markets where LTE usage is greatest.

10nupag.png

I believe people really underrate Clearwire's spectrum, because of their poor tower placement. Clearwire fudged up their rollout. It is really not as bad as people make it out to be.

verizon-wall.jpg

according to this graph I found on building propagation of the Major US spectrum frequencies. PCS is only 1.3x better than clearwire's spectrum.

Also I prefer more spectrum on a higher band, so the lower band can be used strictly for coverage.

Verizon's graphic is misleading, as it takes five 2600 sites to cover the same area as one PCS site (when allowing the proper signal overlap). If this was the case, then Sprint could deploy 2600 right over its 1900 network and just increase the broadcast power slightly and get equal coverage. Which, of course, they cannot. Based on internal Sprint FIT documents, Sprint LTE 1900 extends 57% further from a co-located site than WiMax 2600. Not only does PCS 1900 extend a lot further, but the service area within the coverage is more dense with a stronger signal, and it penetrates much better.

Robert

• Like 3

verizon-wall.jpg

30% is still a lot of difference in signal strength. The reason I say it is because I had an Evo 4G and an Evo 3D and while it was definitely fast enough to do whatever you want to with your smartphone, it was just unusable when I would be indoors, whether it be slow speeds or constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. It was more frustrating than anything. If you say it could be better than what it currently is then I'm all for it but from previous experience I'm a bit skeptical.

Guys, I sense some misinformation and/or misunderstanding in this thread. Back in June, I posted some comments on the very same VZW graphic. However, I think few saw that thread or post.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/11-ill-say-it-wimax-was-a-good-decision/page__view__findpost__p__20858

AJ

Guys, I sense some misinformation and/or misunderstanding in this thread. Back in June, I posted some comments on the very same VZW graphic. However, I think few saw that thread or post.

http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__20858

AJ

I do not dispute the graphic's data. However, many are confusing what it means to think that if LTE 2600 is usable for 1 mile from a site, then LTE 1900 will be usable to only 1.3 miles. And there are just so many variables that it would cause someone without the proper understanding to confuse that PCS will perform nearly identically to BRS. And I think even Verizon is hoping that is what someone will deduct that from the data, as they present it.

Robert

You do know that Sprint already plans to add 2.5 GHz support to their LTE phones in 2013 right? I mean its not like Sprint is even debating on whether they should do so. Starting July 2013, Sprint plans to start paying Clearwire for their TDD-LTE service on its 5000 sites even before the Softbank deal even existed so Sprint better have LTE devices that support the 2.5 GHz band.

Now with this Softbank deal, I am sure the Japanese are looking and advising Sprint to buyout Clearwire when it seems right so that they don't have to pay for their services and would be a subsidiary to Sprint.

You do know that Sprint already plans to add 2.5 GHz support to their LTE phones in 2013 right? I mean its not like Sprint is even debating on whether they should do so. Starting July 2013, Sprint plans to start paying Clearwire for their TDD-LTE service on its 5000 sites even before the Softbank deal even existed so Sprint better have LTE devices that support the 2.5 GHz band.

Now with this Softbank deal, I am sure the Japanese are looking and advising Sprint to buyout Clearwire when it seems right so that they don't have to pay for their services and would be a subsidiary to Sprint.

Would they be a subsidiary to Sprint or New Sprint?