What do you want to see from the SoftBank investment?

Feech

More new towers.....not talking about rural areas, just areas that have grown rapidly in the past 10 years and Sprint hasnt expanded their coverage (think western and sunbelt cities)

More new towers to cover important highways

I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't mind seeing them add cell sites along the I-80 in northern Nevada to connect Reno and Salt Lake city.

Improved customer service.

Well this should always be improving, but they are at or near the top in most surveys these days. The cell phone industry as a whole just doesn't fare well in customer service metrics.

User-accessible sim cards on all LTE phones (like Verizon)

Global support on all LTE phones (sort of like verizon)

Agreed and agreed.

Improved customer service.

Mmkay.... :blink:

$35 charge to fix a phone....thats in warranty? Im pretty sure that is criminal (as in, a lawsuit would change it).

Doubt that there will be any (successful) lawsuits. The phone has a warranty from the manufacturer. If there is an issue with it you should be able to send it back to them for free service, though that can obviously be inconvenient. If one wants the convenience of on the spot repairs, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have them pay for the equipment service and repair program included in TEP or pay $35 for a repair. At the end of the day Sprint is running a business and trying to turn a profit; the repair techs salaries has to come from somewhere.

What is this PAM that is being mentioned? Not familiar with the particular acronym. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my EVO LTE-LESS using Tapatalk 2

Curious what faulty problems agree you referring to with the EVO LTE-less? As I don't have ain't issues with the phone itself. Now I have heard something along the lines that it does not have as good reception as the SGSIII, is that what ur referring to?

Faulty in the fact that LTE on it is shit. While I don't use the device, I've read enough from the users of the device. Then when comparing it to the other Sprint LTE devices, it is very clear that the LTE connectivity is crap.

I don't recall seeing the acronym in this thread, but PAM usually refers to Phone As Modem.

It was mentioned in the first couple of pages, thanks for the answer!

Faulty in the fact that LTE on it is shit. While I don't use the device, I've read enough from the users of the device. Then when comparing it to the other Sprint LTE devices, it is very clear that the LTE connectivity is crap.

Come on, guys, not this again. Lose the hyperbole. I have an EVO LTE in one of the most mature markets in the country, and it operates on LTE fairly well now. It may not be the equal of the Galaxy S3, etc., but it is acceptable. So, please stop talking out of your ass. You do not have the direct experience and/or data that others do.

AJ

• Like 7

Come on, guys, not this again. Lose the hyperbole. I have an EVO LTE in one of the most mature markets in the country, and it operates on LTE fairly well now. It may not be the equal of the Galaxy S3, etc., but it is acceptable. So, please stop talking out of your ass. You do not have the direct experience and/or data that others do.

AJ

For a "flagship" & "best device" offered, i'd consider it faulty, but I'll just keep those opinions to myself...

For a "flagship" & "best device" offered, i'd consider it faulty, but I'll just keep those opinions to myself...

How long is this going to go on. The phone functions fine. It may not connect as quick as the others but it will connect. I don't even have to toggle the phone from airplane mode to on in order to get it to connect. It might not be the best in LTE performance but at the end of the day it still functions.

• Like 1

How long is this going to go on. The phone functions fine. It may not connect as quick as the others but it will connect. I don't even have to toggle the phone from airplane mode to on in order to get it to connect. It might not be the best in LTE performance but at the end of the day it still functions.

It's either going to go on until it's fixed, or the world forgets about it and we move on to another phone.

Have you used the EVO LTE in a market with nearly final LTE site density? Have you even used the EVO LTE at all? Opinions are fine, but they are practically worthless when based largely/exclusively on hearsay. And that, my friends, is a problem.

AJ

• Like 2

It's either going to go on until it's fixed, or the world forgets about it and we move on to another phone.

I believe the latter will be the end result. The shortcomings of the EVO LTE likely cannot be fixed. So, it will remain Sprint's best handset in many ways but a mediocre RF performer.

AJ

• Like 1

Doubt that there will be any (successful) lawsuits. The phone has a warranty from the manufacturer. If there is an issue with it you should be able to send it back to them for free service, though that can obviously be inconvenient. If one wants the convenience of on the spot repairs, it doesn't seem unreasonable to have them pay for the equipment service and repair program included in TEP or pay $35 for a repair. At the end of the day Sprint is running a business and trying to turn a profit; the repair techs salaries has to come from somewhere.

Maybe Im spoiled with the verizon policy. Within a year? Itll be fixed (ie, exchanged) no questions asked (well, they do ask if theres exterior damage or water damage). Been over a year? if youre a long time customer, also not an issue.

Were paying Sprint, not Samsung/HTC etc a 2 year contract.

You dont profit by screwing over customers.

Were paying Sprint, not Samsung/HTC etc a 2 year contract.

Right, you're paying Sprint every month for cellular service.

It's great that VZW goes above and beyond in the device replacement aspect. For their rates, they probably should...

It's great that VZW goes above and beyond in the device replacement aspect. For their rates, they probably should...

doesn't our subsidy from the sprint payment payoff the Samsung/HTC bills? Pretty sure they make a bit more money than upgrade price.

Have you used the EVO LTE in a market with nearly final LTE site density? Have you even used the EVO LTE at all? Opinions are fine' date=' but they are practically worthless when based largely/exclusively on hearsay. And that, my friends, is a problem.

AJ[/quote']

No to LTE as Michigan has no confirmed NV activity yet. I have used the device and it's a nice phone, but to be a "flagship" LTE device and have these issues that were known about in the lab before release and still not fixed is faulty to me.

Sent from my CM9 Galaxy S2 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

No to LTE as Michigan has no confirmed NV activity yet. I have used the device and it's a nice phone, but to be a "flagship" LTE device and have these issues that were known about in the lab before release and still not fixed is faulty to me.

Sent from my CM9 Galaxy S2 using Forum Runner

Once LTE arrives in my area or I visit an LTE area I will post any faults, if any are noticed. Sorry for causing a mini riot and taking things off course.

Back to the topic at hand I just hope for a faster rollout like most. No crazy wishlist here. ;)

Except that the for 98% of us, youre tied to the contract thanks to the hardware. So working hardware is important.

If your comcast modem breaks, you call comcast, not Motorola, because theyre tied together. If your TV breaks, you dont call comcast because theyre not tied together.

I expect sprint to fix customers phones, especially if its a software issue, Straight talk? Not so much.

• Like 2

I expect sprint to fix customers phones, especially if its a software issue,

They do. Take it to a store, get on-site service. If it can't be fixed, get a replacement. It's a service and repair plan. Sprint could just roll it in to the rate plans and give the service to everyone, but instead Sprint gives the option for you to not have it. Sprint is then kind enough to only charge you $35 for a replacement phone (at a loss, I'm sure).

They are working on fixing the LTE problems. They must be. I'm no insider at Sprint or HTC, but they know it's happening, and it is being worked on.

Straight talk? Not so much.
Some people who buy Boost Mobile phones expect Sprint stores to fix them when they break. Where they get this idea, I'm not sure. I've given people manufacturer phone numbers, and I've even had a couple come back with "authorization" from Motorola or Samsung to fix their phone. Which, uh, doesn't mean anything.
  • Like 1

If your comcast modem breaks, you call comcast, not Motorola, because theyre tied together. If your TV breaks, you dont call comcast because theyre not tied together.

If the modem is being leased/rented, it seems reasonable that one would call Comcast if something should go awry. After all, they still own that piece of equipment. If, on the other hand, one were to purchase their own modem from Best Buy because they don't want to pay a modem fee every month and it dies it seems highly unlikely that Comcast would service that particular piece of equipment for free; that doesn't make any kind of sense. In that case, Motorola would indeed be the logical party to contact assuming that the modem is still under warranty.

I expect sprint to fix customers phones, especially if its a software issue, Straight talk? Not so much.

Eh, expect in one hand...

• Like 1

Sprint gave me 3 or 4 new Evo 4G's and one more after the warranty was up for $20(could have been $35).

I had really bad luck with the HTC EVO 4G, bad screens. Charging issues.

Never an issue. Each time handed them the phone came back in 30 minutes they gave me a new one. The last one they had no more Evo's in stock had to wait a couple days, gave me the option of a Galaxy Nexus. I waited a few days till I got another to keep Wimax, they swapped me batteries those waiting days. Only issue was it would not charge.

GREAT SERVICE.

• Like 2

They do. Take it to a store, get on-site service. If it can't be fixed, get a replacement. It's a service and repair plan. Sprint could just roll it in to the rate plans and give the service to everyone, but instead Sprint gives the option for you to not have it. Sprint is then kind enough to only charge you $35 for a replacement phone (at a loss, I'm sure).

Youre missing the whole point.

Its under warranty. That means the cost of replacement or repair should be zero. Not 20, not 35, zero. Thats what a warranty means! Ive never heard of a company charging you within the warranty period, ever.

Service and repair plans exist to EXTEND the warranty, or fix issues not covered by warranty (ie, dropping the phone). Thats how every other company operates.

I quite frankly dont understand how its remotely legal that sprint does this.

• Like 1

Its under warranty. That means the cost of replacement or repair should be zero. Not 20, not 35, zero. Thats what a warranty means! Ive never heard of a company charging you within the warranty period, ever.

Service and repair plans exist to EXTEND the warranty, or fix issues not covered by warranty (ie, dropping the phone). Thats how every other company operates.

How am I missing the point?

The warranty is through the manufacturer. Sprint does not warranty equipment. When you buy a phone from Sprint, you own the phone. Not Sprint. You're not leasing it from Sprint. It's yours, to do with as you please. It's, say, Samsung that provides a 1-year warranty on the equipment they made.

Again, Sprint does not warranty equipment. ESRP is a *service* provided by Sprint to warranty your equipment against wear and tear, as long as you have the service. It's not free, it's $4/month.

The $35 charge comes from going to Sprint and asking them to repair or replace equipment themselves. You can do it for $0 through who gives out the warranty - the manufacturer. Trust me, Samsung, Motorola, etc can, will, and do honor their one-year warranty. To do it through Sprint channels, without paying for the service Sprint provides, is what costs money. Sprint even does this for out-of-warranty devices. This is actually a much better situation than many other industries: try taking your out-of-warranty car back to the dealership and see what happens.

Interestingly, I think you would have no objections if, like I said in my post, Sprint simply rolled the cost of ESRP into the rate plans and provided it to everyone. Then it would be invisible to you, and replacement phones would be free (aside from massive physical damage or water damage or being lost/stolen). This way, you still have the choice to not pay extra, and can hope nothing happens to your phone. Much like not purchasing insurance or an extended warranty on a car.

• Like 1

Actually, I was wrong. If you're on VZW and aren't paying for their extended warranty, they do replace for free in Year 1, but provide NOTHING after that. You get to buy a phone a full retail or a pre-owned at slightly less.

See:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/device_replacement_program.html

Frankly, I'd rather have Sprint's plan, where at least in year 2 I can pay $35 to get my phone replaced if something goes wrong, than be told "welp, sorry, too bad!"

• Like 1