Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

I seem to do good with verizon streaming from my wife's phone. You don't even notice them throttling you most of the time so that is what I'm hoping from sprint if not better when I get 4g.

The hard part is when I'm playing games. That's where the throttling gets me. So if you are on the unlimited everything, does it state they will throttle also?

I seem to do good with verizon streaming from my wife's phone. You don't even notice them throttling you most of the time so that is what I'm hoping from sprint if not better when I get 4g.

The hard part is when I'm playing games. That's where the throttling gets me. So if you are on the unlimited everything, does it state they will throttle also?

Gaming will not likely be effected by throttling. Most gaming systems use very little bandwidth. They don't actually stream any video on gaming systems.

All the images are already saved locally, they stream is only telling the gaming console what to display. Just lots of ones and zeroes coming at a very fast rate. In most gaming applications, 1Mbps is sufficient. But ping is critical!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Gaming will not likely be effected by throttling. Most gaming systems use very little bandwidth. They don't actually stream any video on gaming systems.

All the images are already saved locally, they stream is only telling the gaming console what to display. Just lots of ones and zeroes coming at a very fast rate. In most gaming applications, 1Mbps is sufficient. But ping is critical!

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

This is a great point and most people don't understand this. Digiblur mentioned this once and a way to prove a point to one of his children. I tried it as my son always whined about lag and the need for more speed. So I set the router setting to 1 mbps on the xbox, I think I was on a 40/5 plan at the time and let him play for a few weeks. Guess what he never knew the difference. I actually turned I down to .5 mbps for the last few days. When I showed him he was dumb founded. I did have horrible latency though and made a switch recently and it has been much better. Anyways Roberts point is one that is commonly missed and is usually highly undervalued. Latency is a huge piece of the puzzle!

sent from my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 via taptalk pro

• Like 1

Sitting in the airport right now, terrible signal strength.  Was so excited as did have an LTE connection while rolling up Sunport Blvd, but it all but disappeared by the time I cleared security. Is the airport structure a faraday cage like the average stucco home?  I guess so, but you'd think all the big windows would let something through.

Sitting in the airport right now, terrible signal strength. Was so excited as did have an LTE connection while rolling up Sunport Blvd, but it all but disappeared by the time I cleared security. Is the airport structure a faraday cage like the average stucco home? I guess so, but you'd think all the big windows would let something through.

Yup I hear what you mean. Its spotty even on the ramp for myself. But I don't expect it to be at full strength till more towers become live and overlap each other.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yup I hear what you mean. Its spotty even on the ramp for myself. But I don't expect it to be at full strength till more towers become live and overlap each other.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sitting in the airport right now, terrible signal strength.  Was so excited as did have an LTE connection while rolling up Sunport Blvd, but it all but disappeared by the time I cleared security. Is the airport structure a faraday cage like the average stucco home?  I guess so, but you'd think all the big windows would let something through.

Looking at the map, this may only be helped with Band 26.

Edit: The airport has free wifi so I have always used that.

• Like 1

Tower is near Coors & Montano right behind that AutoZone and in the apartments area.

looking at sensorly the few spots of purple that are far away from the towers that are transmitting 4g seems to be a residual signal that we are experiencing. I was able to connect to 4g all the wat up on 86th and tower.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Hope we get some 4g accepted here pretty soon. The waiting and not knowing is frustrating at times but I know it will be worth the wait. Hopefully!

Hope we get some 4g accepted here pretty soon. The waiting and not knowing is frustrating at times but I know it will be worth the wait. Hopefully!

I agree. knowing what it will be is hard to wait.

I was sitting at Las Salitas for lunch today and I was able to have a consistent LTE connection. It was low but I was able to do a couple of things and definately faster than full 3G I had.

I agree. knowing what it will be is hard to wait.

I was sitting at Las Salitas for lunch today and I was able to have a consistent LTE connection. It was low but I was able to do a couple of things and definately faster than full 3G I had.

That's funny. Last time i went to La Salita was the first time I saw LTE in ABQ.

Also, the phone would not handoff between 800 and 1900 voice during the call even though my 800 signal fell low enough where the call was cutting out.

Sent from my Nexus 5

As it's explained to me, you have to have your switch be upgraded to handle handoffs between 800/1900 and the 1900 site you are handing off to cannot be legacy.  So either of these may have been the problem for you.

Robert

As it's explained to me, you have to have your switch be upgraded to handle handoffs between 800/1900 and the 1900 site you are handing off to cannot be legacy.  So either of these may have been the problem for you.

Robert

I suspect it might be a legacy site that it tried to switch to.

• Like 1

Hey Robert so how come Verizon is broadcasting lte in el paso, tx if they use 700mhz band and sprint can't do it on the 800?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

There was not a conflict with Mexico on the 700 band, or whatever conflict there was has already been resolved.

• Like 1

Hey Robert so how come Verizon is broadcasting lte in el paso, tx if they use 700mhz band and sprint can't do it on the 800?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Because 700MHz was released as a wideband channel from the get go and did not interfere with existing Mexican narrowband transmissions.  800SMR band has a narrowband channel assignment in both the US and Mexico with channels only 25KHz wide.  The way the US and Mexico worked out the use is the channel assignment is interleaved near the border, which means that every other channel belonged to one nation or the other.

So technically, Sprint only could use half the channels near the border on SMR 800 in narrowband format.  However, Sprint is now wanting to use wideband channels to deploy CDMA and LTE.  And there are still Mexican providers using their every other channel allotment on the other side of the border.  How do you use CDMA and LTE with 25KHz slices being used nearby?  The answer is, you can't.  The wideband transmissions of CDMA and LTE across the border would destroy the Mexican narrowband channels.  And they would then turn up their power causing too much interference.  And then no one could use the spectrum.

So the Mexicans and the Americans need to work out a sharing arrangement for this band, so it can be used for wideband operations along the IBEZ.  But since Mexicans are still using narrowband communications in this band along the border, they are in no hurry it appears.

Robert

• Like 1