Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Whatever is the cause of your speeds right now, I assure you it is not capacity. It is common to have backhaul provisioning issues at new sites. At a full speed, low usage site in Texas, I would get 25-37Mbps with signals stronger than -90dBm. I would get approx 10-25Mbps between -90 and -105dBm. I would get between 2-10Mbps between -105 and -115dBm, and something less than 3-4Mbps with weaker than -115dBm.

However, if you backhaul is limited, or any part of the connection between your site and the core, or even within the core itself, these could cause slower speeds. It's possible that your backhaul may be limping along right now. Keep track of it and see what happens.

Robert

Yeah but I wouldnt of thought they would if flipped LTE on if backhaul was not there...before they had the bundled T1 junk and I couldn't get even 0.05Mbps when slow active times even...

Would not think there was a chance n Hell the initial backhaul there could do squat with LTE and regular services on top...

Edit:

Ahh I see drop off from >90 to 92-100 signal readings related to speed is pretty big.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but I wouldnt of thought they would if flipped LTE on if backhaul was not there...before they had the bundled T1 junk and I couldn't get even 0.05Mbps when slow active times even...

Would not think there was a chance n Hell the initial backhaul there could do squat with LTE and regular services on top...

The backhaul is there. Otherwise, you wouldn't be getting even the 9Mbps.You have misunderstood me. However, Sprint doesn't use the backhaul provided to just connect straight to the internet. The backhaul is provisioned with a connection that goes straight to the Sprint network to the closest available backbone location and then runs through the Sprint network to the LTE core at a Sprint MSC. At the core, the data is processed, and then goes out to the internet from the core.

The backhaul is set up and provisioned for all these connections. Sometimes there are issues with the provisioning and it may need to be reconfigured to run more ideally. Sometimes this is not discovered until it starts being used. Seeing how Sprint is using dozens of backhaul providers with all kinds of setups, anything can happen.

Robert

• Like 1

any way of knowing who the backhaul provider is in Raleigh? AT&T, Centurylink, TW Telecom?

Should check the "other forum sections" for that info.... ;)

It is who you'd likely think it would be though...

I will say though at my tower I took pics of ATT had a ton of cabinet work there. First thing u notice is their big ol logo on a handful # of cabinets...

Still trying to figure out what the smaller white ones were for...

Mapped some of the 4g on Sensorly over by 54/Maynard and Cary Parkway. Decent speeds too.

Also happened to have lunch with Sprint guy, and was talking to him about the backhaul crap.

Seems all the wires in the area go to the office on Weston. (I know in one of these threads someone was asking where the switch was)

And they are constantly upgrading/changing fixing etc. He overheard them basically saying what we've seen. Don't think anything is "final" for a little while. Where you see 4g today you might not tomorrow. Within a month or so it should settle down, and sites that get turned on should be able to stay on.

I'm hoping. It's nice when we actually have it to be able to use the internet. :) Now I just wish they'd get the RTP towers, so I can use my phone at work.

(My boss might be paying them off to do those towers last though) :)

• Like 1

Received notification that 12 more LTE sites were accepted in the Raleigh/Durham market the past few days. Seven in the Raleigh Metro area and 5 in the Wilson area. More details in the Sponsor section: http://s4gru.com/ind...post__p__100135

Robert

3 new LTE towers showing completion:

Raleigh-Poole Rd / Raleigh Blvd

Carrboro-Lake Hogan Farm / Homestead

Rockingham-Not sure of cross streets

I think I picked up off the Poole Rd site today. I happened to look down right as I was getting on 64 directly past Poole Rd and saw I was on 4G. Sensorly should have picked it up but Im not sure.

Edited by Madflava

Ordered a galaxy victory today. I'll have sensorly on to check in from wake forest and north Raleigh later this week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Victory is a solid little device. Way better than the Viper. The Victory is one of the best RF performers I've ever tested.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Victory is a solid little device. Way better than the Viper. The Victory is one of the best RF performers I've ever tested.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I picked it cause I am not ready to goto sprint full time as this market isn't fully ready.... thought it'd be fine for a free phone.... started reading into it and learned that its a highly underrated phone for its price point.

• Like 1

LTE is coming fast and furious to the RDU area! Getting strong LTE near the Harris Teeter and Roses in Durham, and along I-40 near exit 273. Last week or the week before my phone couldn't even successfully send a text in the Kroger there. Must have been installing new equipment then.

Still waiting for it to be turned on in the Brier Creek area (really hoping for a few more towers in this area of Raleigh more than LTE honestly).

• Like 1

Was just at Office Max in Apex/Beaver Creek and got LTE!

Just texted my buddy, and it works all over Hadden hall over there.

he's stoked. (amusingly, he works for Sprint, and I told him to check LTE. he's going going to try and get sensorly running)