Network Vision/LTE - Cincinnati Market

ohioratrodder

Anybody out there with a g2 care to weigh in on how it's working? Trying to understand how these "legacy/incumbent" problems affect Cincinnati.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

My G2 is scheduled for delivery sometime today... hopefully it gets here before I have to leave for work.  I will try to keep you guys updated with what I find.  But I don't have any 4G towers near my house or either of my jobs.  So I won't be able to do any excursions into 4G territory until Friday or Saturday.

I can confirm the tower on stiver road Germantown Ohio has lte. I also have a question for some of you more tech related guys when it comes to tower signal projection. I can connect to the tower in Madison township from the east south or west up to 4 miles away. Why would the same not apply to the north of the tower. I live 1.3 miles to the north and I can't get the signal in my yard. It really doesn't make sense. Thanks to anyone who may answer with some knowledge.

It could be a multitude of reasons. Signal propagation isn't as simple as: A half mile in one direction I get signal, but in the other I don't.  Terrain, trees, buildings are all going to have an effect on the signal.

Further, the antennas used on a cell phone tower are quite directional. So it could be an alignment problem, or the sector that points in your general direction just isn't pointed in a good enough direction for you to get the signal in the location you want it.

Sometime they don't even point towers in all directions from the tower itself. Are you certain there is a sprint sector pointed in your general direction?

I would think there is because if I drive south toward the tower, I live to the north of the tower, I get the signal after getting about 500 feet closer putting me approximately within 800 feet of the tower. At that point I get 15 down 5 up far as speed. Can someone post a picture showing me exactly what transmits the Ltd signal. Then I could look at the tower and see if any antennas are pointed to the north. Thanks for the response.

Edited by treiii

The g2 seems to be weaker then my note 2 lte wise.. It does connect once in a while but I don't think it's completely compatible yet.. I picked up the tower in Fairfield... Pulled down 3mbps and upload the same.... Stellar sprint service;-)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The g2 seems to be weaker then my note 2 lte wise.. It does connect once in a while but I don't think it's completely compatible yet.. I picked up the tower in Fairfield... Pulled down 3mbps and upload the same.... Stellar sprint service;-)Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for the HTC one max

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

that phone is huge... Way to much wasted space... If it was wall to wall screen that would be a different story. Might be tempted or galaxy mega

that phone is huge... Way to much wasted space... If it was wall to wall screen that would be a different story. Might be tempted or galaxy mega

galaxy mega is bigger. One max I think will be perfect.

Inside West Hamilton Walmart I just had 4g, walked outside and lost it?

Same here. I was in Lowe's parking lot and I was receiving 4g signal. Trenton seems a little far away to be receiving a signal. Right?

Galaxy S3. 

The g2 seems to be weaker then my note 2 lte wise.. It does connect once in a while but I don't think it's completely compatible yet.. I picked up the tower in Fairfield... Pulled down 3mbps and upload the same.... Stellar sprint service;-) Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

The G2 is actually just as good if not stronger than the Note 2 on LTE reception, right now there are issues with the network that are likely preventing your G2 from connecting to LTE.

See Robert's article on the front page of the site for more information.

The problem should be corrected in the next couple of weeks.

The G2 is actually just as good if not stronger than the Note 2 on LTE reception, right now there are issues with the network that are likely preventing your G2 from connecting to LTE.

See Robert's article on the front page of the site for more information.

The problem should be corrected in the next couple of weeks.

Next couple of weeks? I highly doubt it. In order for the G2 or N5 to receive LTE, all Samsung equipment in this area will have to be upgraded to support the new 3g NV(if they haven't been upgraded yet) . Without the upgrade, the phone will fall back to 3g only. It's due to the lack of CSFB(circuit switched fallback). As you stated, Roberts article is a great place to start if anyone is interested in the importance of this and the future of Sprint/tri-band devices. Basically, tri-band devices don't support SVLTE(Simultaneous voice and LTE) because the phone(s) only have one radio unlike previous devices(S4/Note 2/etc). Unfortunately, as ericwalton stated above, this area uses Samsung equipment and thus we are in a non incumbent market. The good news is Trenton /Tonya trial towers currently provide upgraded 3g/LTE and work flawlessly with the G2/N5/Galaxy Mega. Tri-county unfortunately doesn't have upgraded 3g yet. From what I've read, there's a high probably that when Sprint launches LTE on the west side of Hamilton, it will also bring upgraded 3g. Thus the new tri-band devices will work.

On a side note, in comparison to the S4, the N5 has a better LTE radio from my experience. It's likely the G2 will perform just as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Next couple of weeks? I highly doubt it. In order for the G2 or N5 to receive LTE, all Samsung equipment in this area will have to be upgraded to support the new 3g NV(if they haven't been upgraded yet) . Without the upgrade, the phone will fall back to 3g only. It's due to the lack of CSFB(circuit switched fallback). As you stated, Roberts article is a great place to start if anyone is interested in the importance of this and the future of Sprint/tri-band devices. Basically, tri-band devices don't support SVLTE(Simultaneous voice and LTE) because the phone(s) only have one radio unlike previous devices(S4/Note 2/etc). Unfortunately, as ericwalton stated above, this area uses Samsung equipment and thus we are in a non incumbent market. The good news is Trenton /Tonya trial towers currently provide upgraded 3g/LTE and work flawlessly with the G2/N5/Galaxy Mega. Tri-county unfortunately doesn't have upgraded 3g yet. From what I've read, there's a high probably that when Sprint launches LTE on the west side of Hamilton, it will also bring upgraded 3g. Thus the new tri-band devices will work. On a side note, in comparison to the S4, the N5 has a better LTE radio from my experience. It's likely the G2 will perform just as well. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't mean LTE would be everywhere in a couple of weeks. I meant that the sites that already have LTE online will be fixed/updated in the next few weeks so that G2s and N5s can connect. I don't know how long before Samsung will start to activate clusters in Cincinnati. I'm sure there are a great many sites ready to go just like in every other Samsung market.

Ok. I'm in Madison 1.3 miles within the tower. Why is it that I can get 3g inside but not lte if they are both on 1900 mhz? Also Germantown had lte I'm 4.9 miles from that tower also. If this is the end result which in my opinion is very poor I'll be moving on. The lte is very spotty. The 3 g improvements have been completed and during peak hours it's only 700 kbs down 200 up. Then off peak around 1.4 down and 500 up so the claims of 2 to 3 down have not been achieved. I have HTC one.

Sorry I was quit a bit of distance away because the tower is sitting behind some businesses that I could not get back to so I had to zoom in the best I could. I can't figure out why they have upgraded some of the towers that they did instead of ones with high population/business. The only one close to me is the Richwood tower and that is mainly truck stops and trees. I can pick up the lte from that tower in my neighborhood but as soon as I pull in my driveway it's back to 3g..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk