Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

I got 4g on st. John, but the signal was weak so I couldn't screen shot in time

Damn really?  Did you check to see what the actual dbm level was?

I'm on the boat to st. Thomas, I'm half way there, and I'm still getting 4g from st. John.

It may or may not be from St. John,  you could possibly be pulling lte from Stt.  If you have direct line of sight to the tower you can still get service.  If you get to redhook and you still have lte then it could be from St. john but if your lte goes away then you were pulling lte from a tower on st thomas.  From cruze bay st john you actually have direct line of sight to at least 3 or 4 towers on st thomas and could easily get lte service from one of those towers if they are broadcasting an lte signal.

EDIT: To add, from redhook,  you will have direct line of sight to the tower in st john if you don't have lte in redhook then that tower in st john isn't the tower your phone connected to for lte.

No 4g in red hook, so it's st. John. I'm also getting 4g by curriculum center(it's close to rad valley, and next to 7th day Adventist school)

Read my post, I don't think its st john.

Read my post, I don't think its st john.

Ah I see your point, also, you was right about the 4g lte attena possibly being from Anna's retreat; reason being is that it would explain why in forewing(close to Anna's).

This is all great news!!! How do these speeds compare to ISP's on the islands. Is it better or worse? I know here in NYC, Sprint's LTE speeds are equal to the basic cable provider's speeds. I am able to get up to 101Mbps from cable (which I have) but if I switch to Verizon FiOS I could get up to 300Mbps. FiOS, however, I found to be inconsistent, dropping a lot like the Verizon cell network at peak times.

nahh...french man and smithbay..frenchman reef tower is fully up! only tower fully up..all others are working on..airport too..down them sides...has a few things poppin man

Do you know where all the sprint towers are located?  There are no sprint towers in the frenchmans reef area or in smith bay.  Read my response to Austrie a few posts up about line of sight.  The mountain top tower also has line of sight with the frenchmans reef area so that could explain why you will get lte there.  Also just going a few feet down to morning star and you virtually have no service, why? because there are no towers or line of sight with any tower because of that specific location, same reason as to why that whole area by antilles school is virtually a dead zone for the most part. St. thomas isn't that big, that same mountain top tower has line of site to the airport.  As for smith bay, the two closest towers are the one in annas retreat/tabor harmony(the big white house with the highest elevation with all the panels on its roof) and the red hook tower.  The eastern half of smith bay gets good lte but as you approach cassie hill it goes away which leads me to believe that neither of those two towers has lte which means that same lte signal is coming from the wynberg tower(same tower I saw the workers that I posted about on sunday), that why it goes away when you get closer to the bottom of cassi hill and it comes back strong when you get to the fourwinds/fortmilliner area.  

im not talkin out my ass..lol...and yeaaaaaaaaa...look on sprint.com now on coverage the towers has already been accepted man..that was fast!!!

That same site shows you where the towers are, there isn't any in the frenchmans reef area and there isn't any in smithbay.  The two sites I mentioned are the sites that cover smithbay.  One thing though, it amazing to see work getting done so fast, consider me impressed.

• Like 1

That same site shows you where the towers are, there isn't any in the frenchmans reef area and there isn't any in smithbay.  The two sites I mentioned are the sites that cover smithbay.  One thing though, it amazing to see work getting done so fast, consider me impressed.

bro same here the hell...3 towers one shot!..well they did say even b4 stx was finished our stuff was already in place...all they had to do was turn them on over here..i want on my bovoni tower..i forgot my towers name..lolol

weird...i pass french man yesterday..dunno if its a linked tower...cuz even when i call sprint..they always give me some bolongo tower and i never seen that on the map!

This is why you don't listen to anything sprint says over the phone because there is definitely no bolongo tower. The only tower on the south side of the island is your bovoni tower and thats it, every thing else basically runs down the middle of the island.

Hey guys download Netmonitor app so you guys can see the tower that you are connected

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hey guys download Netmonitor app so you guys can see the tower that you are connected

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If I am not mistaken, netmonitor is completely useless when it comes to lte.

does it give u the tower names?..all these towers have code names

Each tower has a site id but net monitor won't give you that id, but if you become a s4gru sponsor you will have access to every site id on sprint's network.  What netmonitor will how is the location of the tower(displayed on a map, which in itself isn't always accurate) you are connected to but it will only show 1x connectivity(someone can correct me if I am wrong).  The problem is that you can be connected to one tower for 1x and another tower for lte at the exact same time, the app will only show you which tower you are connected to over 1x.  Now being that there are only 9 towers(including the 1 on st. john), may make things a little easier to figure out.

This is all great news!!! How do these speeds compare to ISP's on the islands. Is it better or worse? I know here in NYC, Sprint's LTE speeds are equal to the basic cable provider's speeds. I am able to get up to 101Mbps from cable (which I have) but if I switch to Verizon FiOS I could get up to 300Mbps. FiOS, however, I found to be inconsistent, dropping a lot like the Verizon cell network at peak times.

The state of broadband is pathetic in the VI.  If I am not mistaken the fastest speeds you can get is about 5mbps max from the main providers, choice communications, innovative and broadband VI(and it aint cheap) and even under perfect conditions you would be lucky to get that.  The last few days I have been averaging about 6mbps on lte during peak hours and about 12 to15 during off peak hours(provided that I have a decent connection in the first place).