Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Ill keep it short.

26 3G towers on 1900mhz,

14 on 800mhz.

78 confirmed dates for ethernet delivery.

16 sites live with ethernet.

97 sites with construction complete awaiting backhaul.

281 sites with construction begun.

equipment has been delivered to 144 sites.

And only 96 sites still needing approval to begin work.

Have a good evening S4GRU nerds :tu: .....Oh and IMEX..standby for some LTE

Awesome thenight, that's what I like to hear.... Heck yeah.... Any time frame, weeks, months? I heart this website!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I bet it turned on at midnight or will within the next few days, since the Granville towers were some of the first accepted in the Columbus market. I guess only time (and Sensorly) will tell!

Wow....Seems like a lot more work is being done in Columbus  then beleived ..

Ill keep it short.

26 3G towers on 1900mhz,

14 on 800mhz.

78 confirmed dates for ethernet delivery.

16 sites live with ethernet.

97 sites with construction complete awaiting backhaul.

281 sites with construction begun.

equipment has been delivered to 144 sites.

And only 96 sites still needing approval to begin work.

Have a good evening S4GRU nerds  :tu: .....Oh and IMEX..standby for some LTE

I bet it turned on at midnight or will within the next few days, since the Granville towers were some of the first accepted in the Columbus market. I guess only time (and Sensorly) will tell!

I will map it like it's my job once live......

• Like 2

I don't think by DEC 2013. Look at how many sites are waiting for backhaul. And also how many are waiting for backhaul AND construction. Probably more like DEC 2014

I think both dates are pure speculation and don't agree with the Dec 2014 at all. From stopping at many sites in the metro area, I have personally seen plenty of sites prepped for backhaul. I really only think its a matter of time before they work inwards to the metro area. Look how much area the one single site in town covered - just imagine 10 more of those.

I think the only person that really knows other than our speculation is thenight84.

Its only been a month since or so since the first NV site went live and look at the progress. If you look at the progress of other cities the argument that it'll be December 2014 is mere trolling at best. The market with full 3/4G in 1900 and 800 is set to be 100% complete by mid 2014. As it is now the plan is to officially announce the market in the very early part of 2014. One thing to note however is the new financial backing by Softbank at this stage in the NV rollout. Sprint cannot begin to promote its network until it is something to be proud of and Softbank is not going to sit around and wait. The rollout will only continue to be more and more aggressive as Softbank plans to dump another 8Bn. in our network rollout this year alone. I would predict that our market will be heavily saturated in NV both 3/4G by Dec. 2013.

• Like 3

OK, This should be the sprint tower near 270, and SR 3. Its slightly south of the first one i sent photos of. this time i took my real camera. It looks like there are antennas on the top/middle similar to the ones i've seen described, but not 100 percent. The panels were not there a year or so ago according to google street view, but their dates are far from accurate. the site has a wood fence around their equipment and well within private property, so i can't really see the cabinets.

I have a couple more angles but they look pretty much the same. If I'm wrong again, I apologize.

post-18538-0-79669400-1374438419_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK, This should be the sprint tower near 270, and SR 3. Its slightly south of the first one i sent photos of. this time i took my real camera. It looks like there are antennas on the top/middle similar to the ones i've seen described, but not 100 percent. The panels were not there a year or so ago according to google street view, but their dates are far from accurate. the site has a wood fence around their equipment and well within private property, so i can't really see the cabinets.

I have a couple more angles but they look pretty much the same. If I'm wrong again, I apologize.

I'm pretty confident that is ATT panels. Anyone else concur?

I don't think by DEC 2013. Look at how many sites are waiting for backhaul. And also how many are waiting for backhaul AND construction. Probably more like DEC 2014

I went with Dec 2013 because my thoughts were along the the lines of a few things. One being backhaul can be a matter of months and as far as we know is close to being done.  I seriously doubt fiber will be another year.  Another thought:  Sprint's schedule has Columbus as 1st Qrt 2014.. Usually it seems LTE is turned on a few months before the "Official Announcement" in terms of a Pre-Launch kinda thing. The single tower on now in Columbus has fiber.. and other towers near it may be very close.. Although other far away could be close to fiber as well.  Many were probably caught off guard when the Morse Road LTE tower came online..

Sprint is launching very quick under the circumstances.. I'm wondering what the next official launch sites will be and IF we will finally be on "the list" of cities where they announce: "LTE" will be coming soon.. I think we're getting to a threshold point where they could say "LTE will be coming to Columbus" if they are 3 or 4 months off from a Pre-Launch..  If a Pre-Launch was Dec 2013 to Jan 2014 ... Sprint would closely meet their scheduled timeline for Columbus LTE "Official Launch"...

I don't mind being wrong, by the way,  but in this case:

Let's hope YOU are wrong with your Dec 2014 prediction... ok ?

• Like 2

Its only been a month since or so since the first NV site went live and look at the progress. If you look at the progress of other cities the argument that it'll be December 2014 is mere trolling at best. The market with full 3/4G in 1900 and 800 is set to be 100% complete by mid 2014. As it is now the plan is to officially announce the market in the very early part of 2014. One thing to note however is the new financial backing by Softbank at this stage in the NV rollout. Sprint cannot begin to promote its network until it is something to be proud of and Softbank is not going to sit around and wait. The rollout will only continue to be more and more aggressive as Softbank plans to dump another 8Bn. in our network rollout this year alone. I would predict that our market will be heavily saturated in NV both 3/4G by Dec. 2013.

When LTE Launches in Columbus we can all still post here I suppose..?

I have considered like many cities Columbus will get LTE and Sprint could likely comeback again with more upgrades especially with adding Sprint 2500 Mhz ( possibly also in the form of micro-towers )..  Sprint's original budget was only around 5 Billion (first year or two?) .. Softbank seems to want to use most of the money its dumping into Sprint for upgrades.. I kinda felt like following Sprint's plan they would turn on LTE and come back to all those places with additional upgrades - although this can't be the way it works in every city - as I know some cities already have 2500 Mhz turned on; According to another thread that showed an announcement that Sprint made.

• Like 1

December 2013 sounds reasonable for heavy saturation. Next few months should be fun around here.

• Like 1

Just for the record. I am purely speculating. I also feel the softbank merger could slow the upgrade. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork and reorganization to be done. That speculation of mine comes from the old sprint nextel merger.

Make no mistake, I'm still a sprint customer. And I will continue to be a customer as long as the high value stays. Voice coverage with Sprint is top notch, comparable with any other vendor. Their data is horrible, and I think it will be for a long time. But I really do hope I'm wrong.

Plus I believe the Sprint tower is right at 270@ rt 3.

sorry if I made a mistake. antennaweb says cingular (att) owns the northern most tower, verizon owns one about a quarter mile west, and a private firm owns the one I just posted( about 500 feet from the one closest to 270.) I suppose that website could be wrong, and so could my conclusion that sprint is thus using it.

I had never even looked closely at cell towers until recently, but since I've had my GNex from its release date, you can imagine I'm a little bit anxious!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jbeta

Just for the record. I am purely speculating. I also feel the softbank merger could slow the upgrade. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork and reorganization to be done. That speculation of mine comes from the old sprint nextel merger.

Make no mistake, I'm still a sprint customer. And I will continue to be a customer as long as the high value stays. Voice coverage with Sprint is top notch, comparable with any other vendor. Their data is horrible, and I think it will be for a long time. But I really do hope I'm wrong.

From everything that I've found, NV is already planned out and paid for and there are teams to handle the "stop signs" that come up and resolve them quickly. I don't believe the merger will affect roll-out in any negative way.

Not to mentioned Softbank already has experience with rolling out and managing TD-LTE ...If anything Softbank has valuable experience to give Sprint in Clearwire.  This could prevent mistakes Sprint would've made on it's own.   A lot of the new plans / paperwork/  lawyers happen invisibly behind the scenes.  The last thing Softbank wants to do is slow down a current upgrade; Although Softbank is taking the upgrade further and deeper then Sprint could've done by itself.

From everything that I've found, NV is already planned out and paid for and there are teams to handle the "stop signs" that come up and resolve them quickly. I don't believe the merger will affect roll-out in any negative way.

Is there a good chance Columbus will be mostly LTE by Dec 2013? ( Unofficially, not announced )

I think there a 100% chance that by December 2013 LTE will be widespread and fairly dense, and there will be communities within the Columbus market that have been launched, if not Columbus itself. To say December 2014, while looking at the progress of other markets, just won't pan out.

The SoftBank merger shouldn't do anything but speed up the process. SoftBank is investing billions into Sprint to help them improve their network. SoftBank would want to avoid all the tie ups and slow downs as possible!

• Like 1

There will be no tower at a time turning on. According to my source there will be several clusters (areas) turning on at different times throughout the month. It may not be exactly what you guys are wanting to hear but I caan't share any more than that.

Im not surprised. They have to launch NV completed sites in clusters because of the samsung to motorola legacy handoff issues with 1900 cdma. This doesnt apply for just the columbus market but for all of the ohio markets and chicago.

There was a reason why the chicago market had such a strong push to complete their NV sites as soon as possible and this is why.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I hope you guys are right. I mean even the lte in "clusters" has already been proven wrong. We only have one tower live. And its been like that for weeks. And I saw the same thing with single towers last week in Kentucky.

LTE is not usually activated in clusters. I think we had that debate a few pages back. What will be happening is 3G/800 in clusters. 

In every other market, with the exception of Chicago, LTE sites go live one by one. The only reason we may see something different is, as described before, the incompatibility between the legacy Motorola sites and the NV Samsung sites. They have to active them in clusters in order to mitigate the dropped call issue. It's possible that if the backhaul qualifications are met for the whole cluster as 3G/800 is activated, LTE may come online as well. We will see.

I'm pretty pumped up about the upgrade, and thankfully I have the patience to suck it up until it comes through.

After using the 4G LTE up on Morse Road a few times.. I can say when you start getting used to lightning fast webpage loads, Youtube ( which now seem to load faster and with higher quality video) and better response times from web based applications -  I can whole-heartedly say that going back to 3G is like going from a Mustang 5.0 to a Ford Pinto...

I have a feeling that the majority of the people who live in the LTE ZONE care less about it then those who don't. Although I love the speed of it , I'm more excited about the Voice than Data upgrades. That MorseRd tower is like a Shrine now

Can someone please explain 3G/800? If it's still 3G,why is it such an upgrade? Please forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta