wireless tether parasites

WiWavelength

When I previously used the rooted Wireless Tether app on the EVO 4G, I enabled WPA2 encryption right away. However, when I set up the current rooted app (now called Wi-Fi Tether) on the EVO LTE a few weeks back, I needed to make just a quick and dirty connection to my tablet, thus left encryption off for the moment. Well, today, I was in a room full of high school students and needed to do a little bit of light tethering, so I again launched Wi-Fi Tether on the EVO LTE. After a few minutes, I noticed that, in addition to my MacBook Air, two other clients had connected. A couple of the high school students' little iPhones had latched on like leeches to my unencrypted connection. Needless to say, I kicked their MAC addresses to the curb and decided that it was long past time to set up my WPA2 encryption as I had always done previously.

Advice: watch out for those wireless tether parasites.

AJ

• Like 4

I am in and out of public schools all the time for my job. I know exactly what you mean. Those kids are adept at finding any usable WiFi signal.

I'm friends with the IT Director for Los Alamos Public Schools, and they constantly get kids who break into their staff WiFi system. Then the credentials get spread around to 100's of kids in minutes by text. He always knows when there's been a breach, because the system will go from 200 users to 500+ in minutes. If the kids would just be quiet and use it casually, they'd probably never find out.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Thankfully my high school had its own WiFi network for students ever since we replaced our textbooks with Android tablets. It was pretty good too. I had peak speeds of 13mbps down and 4mbps up. Although the tablets could've been better >_>

You just lost the game, bro.

You just lost the game, bro.

¿qué?

AJ

i too' date=' hang around high schools all the time...

[/quote']

That's just creepy, lol.

Sent from my defective LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

When I previously used the rooted Wireless Tether app on the EVO 4G, I enabled WPA2 encryption right away. However, when I set up the current rooted app (now called Wi-Fi Tether) on the EVO LTE a few weeks back, I needed to make just a quick and dirty connection to my tablet, thus left encryption off for the moment. Well, today, I was in a room full of high school students and needed to do a little bit of light tethering, so I again launched Wi-Fi Tether on the EVO LTE. After a few minutes, I noticed that, in addition to my MacBook Air, two other clients had connected. A couple of the high school students' little iPhones had latched on like leeches to my unencrypted connection. Needless to say, I kicked their MAC addresses to the curb and decided that it was long past time to set up my WPA2 encryption as I had always done previously.

Advice: watch out for those wireless tether parasites.

AJ

With all the flashing of different roms I usually always forget to setup wifi tether correctly. I have had my share of parasites, especially when I am at the airport.

i too, hang around high schools all the time...

LMAO!!!!! That's just wrong.

I was sharing out my WiMAX connection at a LSU football game one time. It was funny to see people connect to it even with the name of virus testing for the SSID.

People are crazy for using open WiFi. Man in the middle attacks are too easy to spoof people.

I VPN back to my house if I use open WiFi after personally seeing a man in the middle attack. Scary stuff.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

Lol, I'm going to have to try this.

It was funny to see people connect to it even with the name of virus testing for the SSID.

Sent via LTE from my Evo LTE s-offed by an overweight panda.

• Like 1

The only bad muffin is a muffin top.

What do you call a muffin top with bruises?

AJ

What do you call a muffin top with bruises?

A sore stomach?

No, a blueberry muffin top.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

The only bad muffin is a muffin top.

I thought the bad part of the muffin was the stump?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2