(Angry) birds causing delay in Sprint LTE deployment

Funny item for the day.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/26/sprint-lte-delay-birds/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fengadget+%28Engadget%29

Must be some environmental outfits that won't let you just knock the nests down.

I can tell you here in Florida they take the bird stuff serious They won't let you even get on a tower if there is a Osprey nest on it with birds. The company you work for will be fined heavily if caught violating.

• Like 1

I appreciate the last sentence: "We wouldn't advise you go with a stick trying to poke the nests from the sites -- we suspect the Humane Association is on the lookout for angry nerds."

Yeah, most of us want our LTE, but I don't see anyone climbing towers to shoo birds away! It does make me wonder if they are some type of rare species, or if there is no safe way to remove them or even prevent them from nesting there in the first place. Also, is this impeding doing work on the towers, or are they just not allowed to turn on the new equipment for fear that it will harm the birds?

I can tell you here in Florida they take the bird stuff serious They won't let you even get on a tower if there is a Osprey nest on it with birds. The company you work for will be fined heavily if caught violating.

Assuming they are talking about towers in flordia, do we know if they are not able to do any work on the towers, or is the equipment already installed on the towers and they are not allowed to turn on the new equipment for fear that it will harm the birds?

Does anyone really believe this is a significant cause of delays? I do believe they said it on the conference call. But seriously. There have been birds longer than there have been cell towers. I call shenanigans.

• Like 2

Does anyone really believe this is a significant cause of delays? I do believe they said it on the conference call. But seriously. There have been birds longer than there have been cell towers. I call shenanigans.

They were very candid that birds accounted for some of the delays. They said several hundred other sites are ready to go but are awaiting backhaul to arrive. A few other sites were delayed because one of their vendors was awaiting antenna delieveries.

I don't think there has ever been an effort before to replace antennas and cables on every single existing tower. Birds nesting on established towers isn't a new problem, but is only significant now due to the scale of NV.

Topics merged: they were two birds of a feather.

AJ

• Like 8

Topics merged: kill two birds with one thread.

AJ

• Like 8