HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

So the Evo gives up on the weak LTE signal quicker than the S3, and the signal that the S3 maintains after the Evo gives up is mostly too unstable to be useful anyway?

No. This is not accurate. The difference is usually a 8-10dBm spread. It's only at the maximum threshold of the GS3 is the data unusable. In our testing, when the EVO LTE would give up the signal, the GS3 was still performing 4-6Mbps download. It is just that the GS3 will stick to the signal all the way down to zero.

In our observations, the GS3 would not stick to a signal all the way to zero download, but would drop to as low as zero upload. The differences the poster noted above could be related to the servers being used in his testing. We varied our testing to several servers and took averages.

The extra usability beyond where the EVO LTE gives up its LTE signal is significant. And it is not just the GS3 that out performs the EVO, it's also the LG Viper, Galaxy Nexus, Photon Q and now the iPhone. Do not underestimate the EVO's LTE connectivity issue. It is indeed giving up much usable LTE coverage.

Robert

• Like 1

Ah ok... just trying to get some understanding. I know the newer radios have "lowered the LTE threshold"; is that referring to how long it sticks with LTE before switching off to 3G?

Ah ok... just trying to get some understanding. I know the newer radios have "lowered the LTE threshold"; is that referring to how long it sticks with LTE before switching off to 3G?

Sort of. It lowers the minimum signal strength that it will hold on to for LTE, before it goes looking for 3G to connect to.

In my opinion, keeping LTE at the weak signal threshold still produced better than 3G performance in 95% of our testing. The only times it didn't was when we were in those rare super powered 2Mbps+ 3G sectors.

Robert

Sort of. It lowers the minimum signal strength that it will hold on to for LTE, before it goes looking for 3G to connect to.

In my opinion, keeping LTE at the weak signal threshold still produced better than 3G performance in 95% of our testing. The only times it didn't was when we were in those rare super powered 2Mbps+ 3G sectors.

Robert

So is it just a matter of lowering the threshold to match those of the other phones? Or has that been tried already? And does switching the phone to LTE only mode then lower the threshold since it seems to better hold on to weaker signals when in that mode?

Sorry for all the questions... trying to wrap my head around all the technicalities.

• Like 1

So is it just a matter of lowering the threshold to match those of the other phones? Or has that been tried already? And does switching the phone to LTE only mode then lower the threshold since it seems to better hold on to weaker signals when in that mode?

Sorry for all the questions... trying to wrap my head around all the technicalities.

Well, it seems to be more complicated than that. In the beginning, all the LTE devices had the threshold issue. But all were given OTA's that solved the problem. And in all the other devices, the OTA solved the problem. But not in the EVO LTE. In fact, the EVO LTE has had three OTA's and it hasn't solved the problem.

When you marry these points with the fact that we reported that the EVO LTE was having LTE connectivity issues even during lab testing, before the device even started shipping, it lends credence to this issue is much more than just a threshold setting for the EVO LTE: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-168-s4gru-reconfirms-june-10th-launch-of-the-evo-4g-lte/

Robert

So the Evo gives up on the weak LTE signal quicker than the S3, and the signal that the S3 maintains after the Evo gives up is mostly too unstable to be useful anyway?

I performed test with the EvoLTE in both normal "CDMA HDR LTE" mode and in "LTE Only" mode. In CDMA HDR LTE mode the EvoLTE switched to 3G mode long before the GSIII lost 4G signal generally around -124db however I was able pull usable speeds from the GSIII at that time.

With the EvoLTE in "LTE only" mode the device maintained its connection significantly longer. Not as long as the GSIII but by time the EvoLTE lost signal altogether the connection on the GSIII was unable to produce speed test results nor connect to the internet. That was my observation.

I was reading Sprint Community Forums and someone sent an email to Sprint in which he recoeved a response that the tech team is working on an update to connect to LTE better. http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/480919

I read that too. As long as Sprint knows there's a problem and says they are working on it, ill wait for a radio update. If they push out a fix and it still doesn't work right I'm gonna make Sprint rake this phone back.

If I put this phone in LTE only mode I get usable LTE all over San Antonio. If not then it feels like its still launch day because I hardly ever pick it up.

• Like 2

I will believe it when I see an official response from Sprint on this.

The eggs on their face are getting more plentiful everyday. And for the ones that don't know, think the new network sucks further adding more eggs to the Sprint face as they tell their friends it sucks. When all along it is the phone.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

I see people on the Sprint community forums are seeing the "light" now when comparing the LTE coverage with other phones. Some of them are filing complaints with the BBB.

Not a bad idea to file with the BBB and the AG office.

• Like 1

welp i got kicked outta the store for calling the tech and manager morons but with a choice word before it lol.

these jokers tryed telling me the evo cant connect to lte because........................wait...........................wait......................its not an lte capable phone only the ip5, s3, and viper are lte phones in sprints line up. i had to laugh but then i guess i got a little too agressive with my wording when telling them they were morons and that even the name of the phone is the evo 4glte.

• Like 1

welp i got kicked outta the store for calling the tech and manager morons but with a choice word before it lol.

these jokers tryed telling me the evo cant connect to lte because........................wait...........................wait......................its not an lte capable phone only the ip5, s3, and viper are lte phones in sprints line up. i had to laugh but then i guess i got a little too agressive with my wording when telling them they were morons and that even the name of the phone is the evo 4glte.

The Evo 4g LTE isn't an LTE phone? I should have known better.

That's pretty sad.....I guess that LTE network option on the phone is just there for decoration.

Didn't they have a demo Evo in the store?

I'm so glad I don't work at a place where people feel it's acceptable to curse at the workers. I would probably be locked up somewhere.

Getting kicked out of a Sprint store for anything is just...SMH

• Like 2

You know, I've considered posting a thread about giving Sprint reps information about this site, so they can be more informed about NV and LTE; I know it's helped me.

After reading this thread, more and more I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

• Like 1

Well, it seems to be more complicated than that. In the beginning, all the LTE devices had the threshold issue. But all were given OTA's that solved the problem. And in all the other devices, the OTA solved the problem. But not in the EVO LTE. In fact, the EVO LTE has had three OTA's and it hasn't solved the problem.

When you marry these points with the fact that we reported that the EVO LTE was having LTE connectivity issues even during lab testing, before the device even started shipping, it lends credence to this issue is much more than just a threshold setting for the EVO LTE: http://s4gru.com/ind...the-evo-4g-lte/

Robert

While obviously it seems more complex, what intrigues me about this all is that the SIII, Photon Q and EVOLTE all use the same Snapdragon processor which has a built in radio, correct? I'm damn near positive I read this in some Qualcomm documentation. Now I realize the antenna design is different, but did you see a major difference in signal strength when comparing the two? It just would appear most things are "equal" outside of the software.

That's pretty sad.....I guess that LTE network option on the phone is just there for decoration.

Didn't they have a demo Evo in the store?

They were missing from the display. The s3 and ip5 displays were on LTE as were mine.

sent from my LTEVO

Wow! I think I would have lost it too after laughing and asking where the camera crew was at.

The Evo LTE can't do LTE? That explains it!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

What store was this?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Robert

Robert you mean those times when you enter the twilight zone right, lol. I have to say in my years with Sprint I've never entered one of those zones, lol.

You did good 2k4mach! You need to send a friend in to record and ask the same question and then send it to Sprint and upload it on YouTube. Reps in the stores, best buy, etc really don't know anything about tech in general. I always cringe when I hear someone say, "The guy at Best Buy said I needed to get..." LOL FACEPALM!

While obviously it seems more complex, what intrigues me about this all is that the SIII, Photon Q and EVOLTE all use the same Snapdragon processor which has a built in radio, correct? I'm damn near positive I read this in some Qualcomm documentation. Now I realize the antenna design is different, but did you see a major difference in signal strength when comparing the two? It just would appear most things are "equal" outside of the software.

I've wondered about this too? I don't think Robert or anyone else has ever said whether they thought that the EVO LTE could be "fixed"? Do you think it is an antenna issue that can be fixed or software issue? It scares me really as my area doesn't have LTE but will soon. I don't want to have these issues or I'll be spending every day at my local Sprint store. :(