Network Vision 3G Improved?

I see the excitement and speeds that folks are seeing as LTE lights up in the initial launch markets. Since Network Vision was also supposed to have a positive effect on 3G coverage and especially speeds (due to backhaul improvements), has anyone been able to test the 3G coverage in Texas, Kansas or Georgia?

I know, once you go LTE, why would you care about EVDO... but it would still be interesting to see if NV has helped the 3G issues as well.

I see the excitement and speeds that folks are seeing as LTE lights up in the initial launch markets. Since Network Vision was also supposed to have a positive effect on 3G coverage and especially speeds (due to backhaul improvements), has anyone been able to test the 3G coverage in Texas, Kansas or Georgia?

I know, once you go LTE, why would you care about EVDO... but it would still be interesting to see if NV has helped the 3G issues as well.

I think it might be a little tough to get a good gauge on that yet, since upgrades and testing is keeping these towers in a state of flux. From what I have seen in posts though, 3G has seen vast improvements. I don't know if it is just certain times, but I hope that it is permanent. I have seen quite a few posts of 1.5 to 2.5 mbps download speeds.

• Like 1

People who have access to our Sponsor maps will see that there have not been a substantial drive for 3G improvements in Ericsson markets. Most of the 3G improvements have been focused on Samsung and AlcaLu so far. More 3G improvements coming in Ericsson areas soon.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

San Antonio is still experiencing sub 50kspeeds on 3g

And will be for awhile still.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just to remind everyone...please do not turn this into a complaint thread. We don't allow pointless whining. Negative posts are only allowed when relevant to the conversation. Just putting that out there before things go South.

• Like 7

Just to remind everyone...please do not turn this into a complaint thread. We don't allow pointless whining. Negative posts are only allowed when relevant to the conversation. Just putting that out there before things go South.

So we have to keep the comments above the mason Dixon line?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

So we have to keep the comments above the mason Dixon line?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sounds dirty when you say it. :P

Rockin all over DFW now. My tab gets almost 3mbps on a tower that has LTE. I get 18mbps+ LTE with my GS3.

Happy happy happy....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

People who have access to our Sponsor maps will see that there have not been a substantial drive for 3G improvements in Ericsson markets. Most of the 3G improvements have been focused on Samsung and AlcaLu so far. More 3G improvements coming in Ericsson areas soon.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Soooo.. in order to rush out iniital LTE markets, they did a Network Vision Lite in Ericsson areaa? Connect LTE at tower sites to backhaul, but not 3G? I thought that replacing all the equipment at a tower site would have benefits for both LTE and EVDO as that tower came online post Network Vision? Seems inefficient to have to go back and implement 3G improvements... unless all it involves is remote "software" upgrades or switching. Or did you mean that the issue is that individual towers are over capacity and the cell would have to be split?

Edited by sprinturg4
  • Like 1

Soooo.. in order to rush out iniital LTE markets, they did a Network Vision Lite in Ericsson areaa? Connect LTE at tower sites to backhaul, but not 3G? I thought that replacing all the equipment at a tower site would have benefits for both LTE and EVDO as that tower came online post Network Vision? Seems inefficient to have to go back and implement 3G improvements... unless all it involves is remote "software" upgrades or switching. Or did you mean that the issue is that individual towers are over capacity and the cell would have to be split?

No. What they did was continue to update the towers to NV even if backhaul wasn't ready and connected ONLY 3G to the existing backhaul. That is why there are some sites that are NV enabled but still not showing better speeds on 3G. When the backhaul is ready at a site that is already NV, they come back one more time and connect the equipment to the new backhaul and then 4G is enabled with 3G on the enhanced backhaul.

No. What they did was continue to update the towers to NV even if backhaul wasn't ready and connected ONLY 3G to the existing backhaul. That is why there are some sites that are NV enabled but still not showing better speeds on 3G. When the backhaul is ready at a site that is already NV, they come back one more time and connect the equipment to the new backhaul and then 4G is enabled with 3G on the enhanced backhaul.

So for a given NV site, if backhaul was ready, they implemented LTE and improved EVDO. If backhaul was not ready, they connected 3G to existing backhaul and left 4G off for the time being. Ok that makes sense. So if someone checks 3G at a tower where 4G is on, they should see a decent improvement in 3G as well. Thanks for the clarification.

So for a given NV site, if backhaul was ready, they implemented LTE and improved EVDO. If backhaul was not ready, they connected 3G to existing backhaul and left 4G off for the time being. Ok that makes sense. So if someone checks 3G at a tower where 4G is on, they should see a decent improvement in 3G as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Im not sure if what you have said is quite accurate. We now have LTE in San Antonio but our 3g is still atrocious. I have been told that the tower near my house is complete with 3g and LTE but Sprint has not signed off on the 3g as of yet. It was supposed to have been accepted last week but here I am with unusable 3g. I do believe there are other factors at play here. But we do have LTE in San Antonio.

My guess (could be wrong) on the 3G side is that 3G is indeed connected to the new backhaul, but in many cases there now aren't enough 3G carriers to handle the load being placed on the tower (especially in a market like San Antonio, which may still be 25% Sprint). I believe NV allows additional CDMA carriers to be added quickly, easily and remotely, so as deployments cool down you may start seeing that.

This is just a guess but I would assume that they may have left the legacy connection connected for 3G but Sprint accepted the 4G LTE tower. Thus, you are getting 3G at the speed of the legacy network and 4 g via network vision and the legacy network hasn't been shut down and taken down off of the tower yet

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

From what I've seen on the sponsor maps, it looks like Ericsson is focusing on LTE since they have most of the initial launch markets. 3G is probably still on the old backhaul. I would guess in the very near future, Ericsson will get 3G moved over to the new backhaul.

I'm sure they have been pushing hard to get as many LTE towers done for the July 15th launch.

My guess (could be wrong) on the 3G side is that 3G is indeed connected to the new backhaul, but in many cases there now aren't enough 3G carriers to handle the load being placed on the tower (especially in a market like San Antonio, which may still be 25% Sprint). I believe NV allows additional CDMA carriers to be added quickly, easily and remotely, so as deployments cool down you may start seeing that.

So under this scenario, whereas before the backhaul was blamed as the choke point, now it is not having enough spectrum allocated for data at a given cell tower? Yikes! If this were, this would be typical of Sprint. :(

However, since they are supposedly launching LTE in markets without every single tower upgraded, I would hope that at towers already upgraded and live with 4G, they would also have upgraded the EVDO side as well and have it live. As new towers come online to finish out the 4G footprint in a market with the remaining towers, the 3G would also get finished out. If not, again :(

Now, in spite of the above, I remember in the June update that there was a backlog of EVDO going live even at NV sites due to issues at switch center? If this is indeed still the issue, then it will be interesting to see how long before 3G gains the benefits of NV too!

Edited by sprinturg4

So under this scenario, whereas before the backhaul was blamed as the choke point, now it is not having enough spectrum allocated for data at a given cell tower? Yikes! If this were, this would be typical of Sprint. :(

However, since they are supposedly launching LTE in markets without every single tower upgraded, I would hope that at towers already upgraded and live with 4G, they would also have upgraded the EVDO side as well and have it live. As new towers come online to finish out the 4G footprint in a market with the remaining towers, the 3G would also get finished out. If not, again :(

Now, in spite of the above, I remember in the June update that there was a backlog of EVDO going live even at NV sites due to issues at switch center? If this is indeed still the issue, then it will be interesting to see how long before 3G gains the benefits of NV too!

I would say it's backhaul, not spectrum.

So under this scenario' date=' whereas before the backhaul was blamed as the choke point, now it is not having enough spectrum allocated for data at a given cell tower? Yikes! If this were, this would be typical of Sprint. :(

Now, in spite of the above, I remember in the June update that there was a backlog of EVDO going live even at NV sites due to issues at switch center? If this is indeed still the issue, then it will be interesting to see how long before 3G gains the benefits of NV too![/quote']

Carrier shortage strain has been a culprit of slow 3g, in addition to backhaul strain, since 3g started slowing down. Sprint has been adding 3g carriers to reduce strain in advance of network vision. The problem with the legacy network was that it was fed by t1 lines, so adding carriers could instantly cause backhaul strain. Network vision will allow Sprint to add carriers without worrying about backhaul. If they have available spectrum...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner