Which phone should I get?

Matthew9543

Which phone should I get? The galaxy nexus, the Galaxy S 3, or the HTC evo 4g LTE?

That's a hard one to answer for another person. But I'll try to give some input.

If you like something close to a pure Android experience and want to have the best chance of getting OS updates in a timely fashion choose the Nexus.

If you don't mind the Sense skin and you want a great overall device go with the Evo (I am biased as that is what I have).

The Samsung is a beautiful device and by everything I've read the performance is comparable to the Evo in most respects. You probably can't go wrong with the Samsung, especially if you like the design. I have no experience with TouchWiz so I can't comment on that skin.

There are my two cents.

Agreed. The Gnex is somewhat "outdated" by the EVO 4G LTE (absurd name) and the GSIII in that the Gnex is only sporting a 5 MP camera, among other things (though we all know that MP count doesn't necessarily always translate into better pics). Also, to many, the Super LCD2 screen on the EVO is better as the colors are "more natural." For me, the EVO has boring color reproduction and it looks rather washed out. This is probably because I currently sport a GSII and am used to the Super AMOLED color reproduction and so I am biased. But I do prefer the way Sense 4.0 on the EVO handles multitasking as the horizontally sliding card format reminds me of my Palm Pre WebOS days. Sammy's TouchWiz UI is the achilles heel of the Galaxy S, SII and the SIII. It's just too....."gingerbready" and busy for me even though it's what I'm rockin. So, as the previous poster said, it's too difficult to say "yes, get this phone" or "no, don't get that phone" because this is all very subjective and each user has his/her own needs and wants and so the best you can do is to clearly identify your needs, identify which traits you want in a phone and then ultimately make your choice.

FWIW Cyanogen said that Qualcomm chips, and Samsung sets are more developer friendly. He said that HTC could be there but their policies are too inconsistant.

(before anyone says "yeah sure, the samsung employee tags samsung as the best", he said Sony was the best manufacturer all around for being dev friendly, with samsung being second)

FWIW Cyanogen said that Qualcomm chips' date=' and Samsung sets are more developer friendly. He said that HTC could be there but their policies are too inconsistant.

(before anyone says "yeah sure, the samsung employee tags samsung as the best", he said Sony was the best manufacturer all around for being dev friendly, with samsung being second)[/quote']

I have noticed that Samsung is about the most developer friendly. I have never owned a Sony though.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

I recently struggled with the this same question. I was coming from a HTC Evo 4G so I had some loyalty there.

I chose the Galaxy SIII. Both phones are great. Some aspects of one phone are better than the other. Evo LTE has a better screen and HTC has better widgets. The SIII has double the amount of RAM and handles multitasking better. If I'm not mistaken the Evo also partitions the internal ROM so that you can't use the full 16 gig for apps and app to sd is disabled. I got a 32 gig Galaxy SIII all which can be used for apps.

I loved my old Evo, but it was plagued with internal memory problems too and sense ui restarts. I didn't want to go down that road again.

I tell people not to buy a phone for today's needs but also think of your needs after 12 months. You're locked into that contract for 20 months.

Now I have 20 months to find a task list app as good as the one I used on my old Evo..

Whichever you choose just accept its faults and you won't regret it,

• Like 1

Try just holding the home button. The stock task list works pretty well.

I agree. The stock task manager for the SIII is superb. I was actually referring to a to do list type widget that you can can edit/add tasks straight from the home screen without leaving much like on the stock HTC widget.

I never addressed the Galaxy Nexus. This is because it's a phone with 2011 specs that doesn't get its updates straight from Google as intended. I can dig up the source article if anyone needs it.

I agree. The stock task manager for the SIII is superb. I was actually referring to a to do list type widget that you can can edit/add tasks straight from the home screen without leaving much like on the stock HTC widget.

I never addressed the Galaxy Nexus. This is because it's a phone with 2011 specs that doesn't get its updates straight from Google as intended. I can dig up the source article if anyone needs it.

VZW GNex is back to AOSP support. I would expect the Sprint version to follow.

Nexus S regained AOSP support also.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

• Like 1

Did you make a choice? Are you happy with it? Have you had LTE signal to test?

I'm contemplating the same question as my big blue iphone went belly up. I liked the GS3 spec wise (though only slightly better IMO). But after playing with the interfaces for some time I liked the HTC EVO LTE4G UI a bit better. The specs look pretty close to me except for RAM and a few UI and personal choice things. I think I need to play with the interfaces more to see if the s3 secret shortcuts I don't know about yet win me over or start to make sense. Also only had Andriod gingerbread for 1 week so its still kind of new to me in general. Also quirks on both sides,e.g. I didn't see a "favorites" in the contacts section on the HTC. I feel like i'd be wasting time looking through recents or searching a lot. I think the UI differences really make a huge difference for me. Which would bring me to a Nexus if there was one available with more recent hardware.

Though after reading about HTC EVO LTE 4G connection problems "some" are having in these forums: LTE, WIFI, AIRRAVE with the HTC I wonder how prevalent the issue is if I want to chance it.

S3: RAM, Removable battery, S-Voice, Stay On(?), NatureX UI, slightly better camera (-Bluish Tint or is that screen?), S-AMOLED

EVO 4G LTE: Sense UI, S-LCD, (-Connection Issues??)

Nexus: Older HW. Maybe I should reconsider this?