LG Viper Battery Life Issues

MacinJosh

I am interested to use in weak signal areas and see how quick it is to jump into roaming.

I would like to know how your phone works in medium to weak signal areas in terms of battery life. My Viper isn't what it was cracked up to be, and am now looking at getting a GS3 ASAP.

If anyone has a GS3 and they have been using it in areas where the signal drops to -100 or worse on a consistent basis, please tell me how the battery life is. Thanks.

• Like 1

I would like to know how your phone works in medium to weak signal areas in terms of battery life. My Viper isn't what it was cracked up to be, and am now looking at getting a GS3 ASAP.

If anyone has a GS3 and they have been using it in areas where the signal drops to -100 or worse on a consistent basis, please tell me how the battery life is. Thanks.

If you now decide to get the S3.. would you sell you Viper? (if so, PM me.)

I would like to know how your phone works in medium to weak signal areas in terms of battery life. My Viper isn't what it was cracked up to be...

The unsatisfactory battery life could be due to the two separate modems, not to mention the 45 nm process S3 processor. The 28 nm S4 MSM8960 multi modem and processor in a single SoC is looking more and more like a breakthrough chipset.

AJ

The unsatisfactory battery life could be due to the two separate modems, not to mention the 45 nm process S3 processor. The 28 nm S4 MSM8960 multi modem and processor in a single SoC is looking more and more like a breakthrough chipset.

AJ

Actually, in the first 2 weeks I had the phone, the battery life was awesome. Then out of no where, it went downhill fast. I don't know why either. :( And maybe it's just my area.

Actually, in the first 2 weeks I had the phone, the battery life was awesome. Then out of no where, it went downhill fast. I don't know why either.

Did you install this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.batterydrainer

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Bloatware was a major drain for me. Disabled all that...helped a lot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

You mean like Sprint ID?

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Sometimes severe battery drain can come from unexpected sources. I installed a widget from the weather channel and checked my battery usage the next day and it was the first thing on the list. Even above the display. It was constantly figuring out where I was and displaying the weather. I uninstalled it and battery life is back to normal.

There are power usage apps out there that can assist you in identifying the battery draining apps. Or you can try changing the screen brightness. If it is just a matter of the battery not holding a sufficient charge, you can bring it to a corporate sprint store and have them look at it. When I had my HTC Zero, the batteries kept swelling and they wouldn't hold as much of a charge. I had to get 2 replacements before the issue was resolved.

As far as the chip set giving magical battery life, it might, if you never turn the screen on. I use my phone so much that my screen accounts for around 70% of my power usage. No SOC is going to make a difference in a user like me. For someone who uses the phone as a phone, or sets up streaming audio, turns off the screen and lets it play, or pretty much anyone who doesn't have the screen on constantly. It might help save battery life if your phone is constantly looking for stronger signal though. The radios are built into the chip.

You should post a screen shot after a regular day of usage and we might be able to identify potential problems.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

Sometimes severe battery drain can come from unexpected sources. I installed a widget from the weather channel and checked my battery usage the next day and it was the first thing on the list. Even above the display. It was constantly figuring out where I was and displaying the weather. I uninstalled it and battery life is back to normal.

There are power usage apps out there that can assist you in identifying the battery draining apps. Or you can try changing the screen brightness. If it is just a matter of the battery not holding a sufficient charge' date=' you can bring it to a corporate sprint store and have them look at it. When I had my HTC Zero, the batteries kept swelling and they wouldn't hold as much of a charge. I had to get 2 replacements before the issue was resolved.

As far as the chip set giving magical battery life, it might, if you never turn the screen on. I use my phone so much that my screen accounts for around 70% of my power usage. No SOC is going to make a difference in a user like me. For someone who uses the phone as a phone, or sets up streaming audio, turns off the screen and lets it play, or pretty much anyone who doesn't have the screen on constantly. It might help save battery life if your phone is constantly looking for stronger signal though. The radios are built into the chip.

You should post a screen shot after a regular day of usage and we might be able to identify potential problems.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner[/quote']

The only widget i have is the power control. And i can't figure out how to take screenshots, but I'll use my 3Gs to take a pic and post it. I unplugged my phone 2 1/2 hours ago and I'm already down to 66%. And when i took it to the store, everything tested fine. :(

The only widget i have is the power control. And i can't figure out how to take screenshots' date=' but I'll use my 3Gs to take a pic and post it. I unplugged my phone 2 1/2 hours ago and I'm already down to 66%. And when i took it to the store, everything tested fine. :(

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner[/quote']

Have you been using it nonstop for those 2.5 hours?

Maybe about 1 3/4 hours total.

Here is a wild idea: maybe you are using your handset too much.

AJ

• Like 1

You mean like Sprint ID?

Also All Share......

[ATTACH]117[/ATTACH]

Have you been using it nonstop for those 2.5 hours?

Here is a wild idea: maybe you are using your handset too much.

AJ

So your phone was in use for about 70% of the time it was unplugged and used about a 1/3 of it's battery? Doesn't sound so bad to me. I gotta stand with AJ on this one. Put that thing in your pocket and look around for awhile. Your battery and your neck will thank you.

Well if I apply my high school mathematics to that compared to the observations by aerxx earlier in the thread' date=' I would guess that your use/battery life is on par with the GS3.

50% brightness, CDMA/LTE mode on.

Doing some quick math' date=' its about 5hrs 15min. Heavy Facebook, camera, e-mail, few games, checked MLB scores quite a bit, bike ride with the phone listening to music....[/quote']

Sent from my CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I gotta stand with AJ on this one. Put that thing in your pocket and look around for awhile. Your battery and your neck will thank you.

If it has not happened already, an addiction clinic somewhere is going to start offering a handheld gadget rehab program. No joke.

AJ

If it has not happened already' date=' an addiction clinic somewhere is going to start offering a handheld gadget rehab program. No joke.

AJ[/quote']

When are they going to offer S4GRU rehab?

Sent from my CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Also try better battery stats. The dev has the full version for free at xda. You can see if something is causing wake locks. Check your battery graphs to see how long the phone has been awake can also help. It shouldn't he awake much when the screen is showing off on the time line.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

When are they going to offer S4GRU rehab?

Speaking of which, have we secretly decided on the date/location to hold the intervention for Robert?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Speaking of which, have we secretly decided on the date/location to hold the intervention for Robert?

;)

AJ

It is quite neat to have so many devices all at once. I don't think it's a problem though. I can quit at any time. Really!!!

I took the Photon with me to work today. This phone is actually pretty neat. I'm not sure why I'm always bashing on Moto devices.

Robert

I took the Photon with me to work today. This phone is actually pretty neat. I'm not sure why I'm always bashing on Moto devices.

That sounds like me saying "Tequila is actually pretty great. I'm not sure why I always thought that I didn't like it."

;)

AJ

That sounds like me saying "Tequila is actually pretty great. I'm not sure why I always thought that I didn't like it."

;)

AJ

Well, I sound stupid when you say it!!! :rofl:

Robert

Well, I sound stupid when you say it!!! :rofl:

Just three words: Motorola. Gateway. Drug.

AJ

• Like 1

Speaking of which, have we secretly decided on the date/location to hold the intervention for Robert? ;) AJ

I think the next chat would be a good time. Everyone is there already. Nobody tell Robert! If he catches wind of it, he won't be there.