LG Viper Battery Life Issues

MacinJosh

So far after playing around with settings today, it appears that most of my battery life issues are with the 3G signal being so weak in my area. It used to not be that way, which doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe the signal isn't as strong as it used to be. :(

So far after playing around with settings today' date=' it appears that most of my battery life issues are with the 3G signal being so weak in my area. It used to not be that way, which doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe the signal isn't as strong as it used to be. :([/quote']

I activated the Viper and have used it the past 24 hours or so. I am not impressed with battery life. It is not in the same league as the LTE devices released in the past three months. The GNex is even much better. I guess if I was upgrading from an OG EVO or Epic I would be happy. But the Viper is more on par with E4GT or Photon in battery life.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I activated the Viper and have used it the past 24 hours or so. I am not impressed with battery life. It is not in the same league as the LTE devices released in the past three months. The GNex is even much better. I guess if I was upgrading from an OG EVO or Epic I would be happy. But the Viper is more on par with E4GT or Photon in battery life.

Wow, I thought that with the smaller screen it wouldn't burn through battery so fast...

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

Wow' date=' I thought that with the smaller screen it wouldn't burn through battery so fast...

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner[/quote']

You would think not. But, alas...

You would think not. But' date=' alas...

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner[/quote']

Well I guess we see why it doesn't have the flagship label on it.

Well I guess we see why it doesn't have the flagship label on it.

For sure. But for some reason, I have noticed that 3G has really degraded in the Visalia area lately, and as long as I keep my Viper on Wi-Fi, my battery life is much better.

I unplugged an hour ago. Leave it sit out for about 20 minutes, drove to breakfast at the Roadrunner Cafe looked up a few things in Forum Runner and im down to 82%. The EVO LTE was unplugged at the same time and used much heavier by my wife and she is at 96%.

Robert via LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I unplugged an hour ago. Leave it sit out for about 20 minutes, drove to breakfast at the Roadrunner Cafe looked up a few things in Forum Runner and im down to 82%. The EVO LTE was unplugged at the same time and used much heavier by my wife and she is at 96%.

Robert via LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Wow. I have my Evo Shift and my Viper side by side with both on CDMA Field Test, the Viper is showing that the CDMA is consistently weaker by up to 10dBm than the Shift, and the EVDO approx. 7dBm weaker on the Viper. And yes, they are connected to the same tower. And the Shift shows an EVDO SNR of 5 with -88dBm and the Viper shows EVDO SNR of 2 with -99dBm right now.

And I forgot to state that it doesn't matter if I have CDMA/EVDO or CDMA + LTE/EVDO enabled, the battery life is the same either way.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it wasn't my battery that was the problem. Took the phone to a Sprint store in Fresno, and it's the phone. And the battery has taken a hit too.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Well it wasn't my battery that was the problem. Took the phone to a Sprint store in Fresno' date=' and it's the phone. And the battery has taken a hit too.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner[/quote']

So they are getting you a new phone?

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

So they are getting you a new phone?

Yep. I'll have my replacement by Monday. Then i have to go back up to have them do the battery, but if it isn't too bad, I'll just wait a little while.

Yep. I'll have my replacement by Monday. Then i have to go back up to have them do the battery' date=' but if it isn't too bad, I'll just wait a little while.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner[/quote']

Nice, I thought that sounded like unusual battery behavior

Nice' date=' I thought that sounded like unusual battery behavior

From JBtoro on Forum Runner[/quote']

Yeah, me too. And the phone is heating up again and I haven't hardly used it. I'm just glad I'm getting a new one.

• 1 year later...

This has done the trick for me. Before I turned off 4G my battery would drain 20% over night even with the phone off and use a lot of battery during the day too

1. Tap Settings and ensure both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth sliders are OFF. 
2. Next tap More settings -> Mobile networks -> Network mode -> ensure CDMA is selected when you are not in a 4G area. 
3. Press Back key twice to return to the Settings menu.