Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

Also I called the city of Ocala to verify the sites. Its legit. There is one site that they described as tear and replace of tower that just finished on 8/27 but that tower has been finished for over 6 months.

That's what your permits say? If you look at mine, can you tell if theyre B41 permits or even Sprint permits?

Is that place any good? They're building one in my city. I've never eaten at Five Guys. But everyone is going nuts about how good it is.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Its pretty good. I wouldn't say the greatest but, for a chain, their Burgers are pretty good. And if you like thick, fresh fires, they're pretty good, too. As they say, "There's nothing better than Five Guys in your mouth." (Sorry, I had to.)

Aweomse stuff!!  I never thought of looking up the building/electrical permits.  Clay county has all the scanned documents for all the permits.  There are tower locations identified that sprint doesn't even show on the NV uprade page.  I was thinking I had stronger single at some of these areas.  For instance the website https://network.sprint.com/search/32065/ does not show a tower at Knightboxx Rd.  But there is a permit for that location.   Time to re-review all my tower locations.  :)

http://www.claycountygov.com/services-we-provide/public-records-search-1/building

Aweomse stuff!!  I never thought of looking up the building/electrical permits.  Clay county has all the scanned documents for all the permits.  There are tower locations identified that sprint doesn't even show on the NV uprade page.  I was thinking I had stronger single at some of these areas.  For instance the website https://network.sprint.com/search/32065/ does not show a tower at Knightboxx Rd.  But there is a permit for that location.   Time to re-review all my tower locations.  :)

http://www.claycountygov.com/services-we-provide/public-records-search-1/building

What's even cooler is there are plans for some of the sites on there along with the permits.  :)

Well I seem to have stumbled across a very useful forum here. Been following some of these threads for a few days now and I have to say most of my apprehension about upgrading to Spark has been put to bed. I've been seeing a lot of horror stories online in other places (Sprint product reviews and customer care forums primarily), mostly about the M8/S5 and their ability to properly access the network. With the M8 being my target upgrade I've been holding off for a while on it, especially with the Ocala corporate store rep telling me himself that there have been a lot of problems with the transition and a lot of returns coming back in but I can see here that our market seems to be well underway, and from the M8 owners thread that most of the issues have been cured either with new properly functioning devices or the current updates. Wasn't sure as I've had one rep tell me we had Spark provisioned in Ocala but the aforementioned rep telling me pretty much the opposite. Good to see there is some certainty to the progress. I like this place, granted you guys are a bit more technical than I am, but I've picked up a lot in the last couple days hanging out here. It's nice to come across a Sprint (or any web) forum with some actual educated and informed members.

• Like 3

Also, I saw some mentioning a few pages back about TMo picking up better in Ocala and speculation on getting spectrum from MetroPCS but I can tell you this is not the case. Ocala just happens to be one of TMo's fully provisioned areas. I actually work for a Metro dealer in the Orlando market, (Leesburg area) and I can tell you that as far as we are aware, none of the MPCS legacy network has be repurposed yet in FL. There are still too many legacy subscribers for them to shut the network off yet. Which has made it a nightmare for us, trying to get the current customers onto the new network when they are going from LTE on their legacy devices to 2G/EDGE in most areas just as also mentioned earlier, or worse, when they do pick up HSPA+ on our "4G" devices it's running at barely above 3G speeds on the new TMo devices. Now this is just in our market however. The Jax/Ocala market however was fully provisioned from the start and they do have beautiful LTE coverage up there but Leesburg is something of a black hole for all carriers, even my Sprint phone has trouble picking up LTE in two of our stores. But this is a discussion for a different thread/forum... I just wanted to put that clarification out there.

Edited by sarjxxx
  • Like 4

I went into the Sprint store at the Town Center yesterday since I was in the area and questioned the data usage on my phone for the first day...  I figured it might be late posting from previous month when I was streaming on a drive down from NC.... but whatever...  anyway, in talking with the supposed most technical guy in the store, I asked if he knew anything about B41 towers... This guy seemed totally lost because it was clear I knew more about this then he did....    Is it any wonder that the store was empty??? Nobody in that store really knew what I was talking about...  This guy claimed that all 3 bands were working because Jacksonville was a Spark market...    And that I was getting the highest speed B41 already because the twirling LTE on my phone...

Geesh...  

My knowledge mostly gleamed from this site makes me stand out ahead of those guys...

Its amazing how much band 41 there is downtown, riverside, and near the stadium.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am heading to game tonight...  How do you get B41 on my Galaxy 5???   I have gotten LTE plenty of times there...

I am heading to game tonight... How do you get B41 on my Galaxy 5??? I have gotten LTE plenty of times there...

If all of your bands are enabled. They should be. The phone will switch bands automatically. Usually for me I'll connect to band 25/26 while in motion then usually when I'm stopped or moving at slow speeds it will connect on its own. The easiest way to tell is to look at signal check pro or your debug menu. Around the downtown area you should have a problem connecting to b41 since the clear site density is good downtown.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I went into the Sprint store at the Town Center yesterday since I was in the area and questioned the data usage on my phone for the first day... I figured it might be late posting from previous month when I was streaming on a drive down from NC.... but whatever... anyway, in talking with the supposed most technical guy in the store, I asked if he knew anything about B41 towers... This guy seemed totally lost because it was clear I knew more about this then he did.... Is it any wonder that the store was empty??? Nobody in that store really knew what I was talking about... This guy claimed that all 3 bands were working because Jacksonville was a Spark market... And that I was getting the highest speed B41 already because the twirling LTE on my phone...

Geesh...

My knowledge mostly gleamed from this site makes me stand out ahead of those guys...

I stopped asking reps at the store info back in 2010. Before VZW,AT$T, and T-Mobile rolled out LTE. I was the Sprint store at the River City Market Place and I was getting my wife's GS2 Wimax repaired. I was just chatting with the rep about 4G and I asked him what he thinks about VZW rolling out 4G since sprint is basically the only carrier in the US with 4G right now.

This dude said that no other carrier can deploy 4G because sprint owns the rights to 4G. And that sprint isn't going to allow other carriers to use it no matter how much money they threw at them. In which I knew that was a bold face lie. Since then I've never asked them network related questions ever again.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I stopped asking reps at the store info back in 2010. Before VZW,AT$T, and T-Mobile rolled out LTE. I was the Sprint store at the River City Market Place and I was getting my wife's GS2 Wimax repaired. I was just chatting with the rep about 4G and I asked him what he thinks about VZW rolling out 4G since sprint is basically the only carrier in the US with 4G right now.

This dude said that no other carrier can deploy 4G because sprint owns the rights to 4G. And that sprint isn't going to allow other carriers to use it no matter how much money they threw at them. In which I knew that was a bold face lie. Since then I've never asked them network related questions ever again.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Lol. Wow.

Sprint should spend a lot of time educating their reps, especially now that the new network is up and running.

It is imperative that Sprint explain, in detail, what Tri-Band is, how it works and how the customer will benefit. This should have been explained to the general public, front and center, along time ago - at the very least, made it a priority for reps to be completely knowledgeable of what Network Vision is and how the Tri-Band network works. Training and testing a rep's knowledge on the subject should be a condition of their employment.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm have seen them upgrading metro sites to T-Mobile sites on 3 occasions one is right down the road from me. It was a metro site with LTE and T-Mobile was not there then they came and threw some panels and hspa+ is full bars. LTE was on for a day then they turned it off. This was a month ago.

I'm have seen them upgrading metro sites to T-Mobile sites on 3 occasions one is right down the road from me. It was a metro site with LTE and T-Mobile was not there then they came and threw some panels and hspa+ is full bars. LTE was on for a day then they turned it off. This was a month ago.

Are the metro pcs converted sites the ones with the two big panels in the one smaller one in the middle?

I know the regular t mobile site have the three large panels but I've noticed a few around Jacksonville that has the one small and the two big.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Are the metro pcs converted sites the ones with the two big panels in the one smaller one in the middle?

I know the regular t mobile site have the three large panels but I've noticed a few around Jacksonville that has the one small and the two big.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Not sure. I don't look at T-Mobile sites as thoroughly as I do Sprint or Verizon sites

Lol. Wow.

Sprint should spend a lot of time educating their reps, especially now that the new network is up and running.

It is imperative that Sprint explain, in detail, what Tri-Band is, how it works and how the customer will benefit. This should have been explained to the general public, front and center, along time ago - at the very least, made it a priority for reps to be completely knowledgeable of what Network Vision is and how the Tri-Band network works. Training and testing a rep's knowledge on the subject should be a condition of their employment.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

I figure they think they can snow everybody except those of us who actually know and care about this stuff who frequent websites like this.. Since we are captured customers in a way, why should they really care...  They are out there trying to sell to the masses..  As I said previously, I never buy a thing at the Sprint store because their knowledge is typically bad about these kinds of things although I was trying to tell my son-in-law last week to go get his IPHONE upgrade at a store since it would be free...  But he went to BB instead...

Interesting... I suppose it is possible they may have repurposed a few of the sites.. Like I said that is not my market so I'm not 100% sure but I don know that the area as a whole has not been repurposed yet. Did you see Tmo LTE pop up on those sites at the same time?

Aweomse stuff!! I never thought of looking up the building/electrical permits. Clay county has all the scanned documents for all the permits. There are tower locations identified that sprint doesn't even show on the NV uprade page. I was thinking I had stronger single at some of these areas. For instance the website https://network.sprint.com/search/32065/ does not show a tower at Knightboxx Rd. But there is a permit for that location. Time to re-review all my tower locations. :)

The only tower on knight box has VZW and Tmobile unless Sprint is about to add equipment to it.

Sent from my iPad mini

Sent from my Nexus 5

Well Sprint has two versions of 4G.   4G WiMax and 4G LTE.   I bet he was trained to think that 4G is WiMax (most sprint phones that say 4G in the name are WiMax only).  I don't know of any other carriers that are using WiMax.   Definatly not under any ownership of Sprint as it's a wireless standard that anyone can get licensed on (just depends on frequencies used).  I use it for private network coverage on large sites inlieu of 802.11.  But more than likely they are all idiots in the store as they are there to sell phones.   Most of the tech's you talk to on the phone are not much smarter.  :)

Edited by N4NXS

The only tower on knight box has VZW and Tmobile unless Sprint is about to add equipment to it.

Sent from my iPad mini

That's what I was thinking.   But there is a permit.  I bet because AT&T owns the tower that clear is on now across blanding, they needed something to fill in the gap.  Plus the tower on parkridge with the nest on it can't be upgraded anytime soon.  Another gap.  I'd be really happy to have this tower go active because I'm in that gap in Tanglewood.  I get LTE from Sleepy Hollow (which isn't that bad of signal).

Permit #: 13030442

Address: 9 KNIGHT BOXX RD

Owner: SPRINT

Contractor: MORGAN ELECTRIC

Scope: ELECTRICAL ANTENNA CO LOCATE

Edited by N4NXS
  • Like 1

That's what I was thinking. But there is a permit. I bet because AT&T owns the tower that clear is on now across blanding, they needed something to fill in the gap. Plus the tower on parkridge with the nest on it can't be upgraded anytime soon. Another gap. I'd be really happy to have this tower go active because I'm in that gap in Tanglewood. I get LTE from Sleepy Hollow (which isn't that bad of signal).

The tower with the nest is a GMO site broadcasting band 25. Sprint does need band 26 in that area especially for inbuilding service. When I walk into the Winn Dixie on knightboxx my phone is useless. Also the ATT site with the equipment appears to have RRUs on it for band 41 but I never pick it up in that location.

Sent from my iPad mini

The tower with the nest is a GMO site broadcasting band 25. Sprint does need band 26 in that area especially for inbuilding service. When I walk into the Winn Dixie on knightboxx my phone is useless. Also the ATT site with the equipment appears to have RRUs on it for band 41 but I never pick it up in that location.

Sent from my iPad mini

Here is a couple photos of the AT&T tower.  Gotta love the fake buzzards (look like mascovy ducks) hanging on the tower

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106286908/IMG_9354.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106286908/IMG_9363.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106286908/IMG_9357.JPG

Here is a photo looking towards the Middleburg tower from Knightboxx.  I need to drive down and take photos of it sometime.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106286908/IMG_9367.JPG

I thought I may have recieved Band 41 on the corner of Knightboxx.  Need to look back through my logs in a bit.   I was thinking it may be coming from the clear shot to the Middleburg tower.  My current test sheet shows I recieved the following signals from the corner of Knightboxx and Blanding

-94    04A11B02     9474    B25     Blanding & Knightboxx      Middleburg?

-91    04A8831A     9524    B26     Blanding & Knightboxx      Middleburg?

Edited by N4NXS

Incase anyone wants my current test list from the other day.  I plan to compile with my log files.  This was a manual take off when taking photos of the towers.

-90      04A13801    9473    B25    Blanding & Constitution    Constitution
-77      04A13802    9473    B25    Blanding & Constitution    Constitution
-86      04A13803    9473    B25    Foxridge Center Drive    Constitution
-90      04A13A19    9523    B26    Blanding & Constitution    Constitution
-104    04A13A19    9523    B26    Blanding & Belmont        Constitution
-79      04A86A1A    9523    B26    Blanding & Constitution    Constitution
-97      04A86A1B    9523    B26    Foxridge Center Drive    Constitution
-80      04A08003    9473    B25    Kingsley @ Tower        Kingsley
-91      04A9101B    9523    B26    Kingsley @ Tower        Kingsley
-94      04A11B02    9474    B25    Blanding & Knightboxx    Middleburg?
-91      04A8831A    9524    B26    Blanding & Knightboxx    Middleburg?
-82      04A02401    9473    B25    Blanding & Parkridge    Parkridge
-82      04A02401    9473    B25    Blanding & College        Parkridge
-90      04A02401    9473    B25    Blanding & Londonberry    Parkridge
-95      04A02402    9473    B25    College & Peoria        Parkridge
-78      04A02402    9473    B25    College & Parkridge        Parkridge
-115    04A02403    9473    B25    Madison Ave & Blanding    Parkridge
-105    04A02403    9473    B25    Blanding at Shed Business    Parkridge
-92      04A02403    9473    B25    Blanding & Jeffeson        Parkridge
-108    04A02403    9473    B25    Jefferson Ave            Parkridge
-115  04A02403    9473    B25    Big Sur Ave                Parkridge
-90   0208A200    8320    B41    Sleepy Hollow @ Tower    Sleepy Hollow
-98      0208A201    8320    B41    Sleepy Hollow @ Tower    Sleepy Hollow
-110  0208A701    8320    B41    College & Brickyard        Sleepy Hollow
-115  04A8CF19    9523    B26    Harrison Tower            Sleepy Hollow
-112  04A8CF19    9523    B26    220 & Garden Centers    Sleepy Hollow
-101  04A8CF19    9523    B26    220 & College            Sleepy Hollow
-76      04A8CF19    9523    B26    220 & Sleepy Hollow        Sleepy Hollow
-93      04A8CF19    9523    B26    Sleepy Hollow Tower 1    Sleepy Hollow
-99      04A8CF19    9523    B26    College & Old Jennings    Sleepy Hollow
-110  04A8CF19    9523    B26    College & Jefferson        Sleepy Hollow

Edited by N4NXS
  • Like 1

That's what I was thinking. But there is a permit. I bet because AT&T owns the tower that clear is on now across blanding, they needed something to fill in the gap. Plus the tower on parkridge with the nest on it can't be upgraded anytime soon. Another gap. I'd be really happy to have this tower go active because I'm in that gap in Tanglewood. I get LTE from Sleepy Hollow (which isn't that bad of signal).

I wonder if iden use to be on that tower because Verizon and T-Mobile are the only 2 on that tower right now. Sprint and clearwire have never been on that tower.