Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

I agree. I just made this drive today and my service was great, until I got close to Orlando. Then my LTE started to suck. I was not really impressed with LTE in Orlando. Everywhere I went, I didn't have a good signal or no LTE at all. What I did get was no more than 5 Mbps. I had to use the hotels wifi because I had no LTE and my 3G was barely usable.

Jacksonville is much better.

I actually spent a lot of time in Orlando and had the opposite experience.  Had LTE just about everywhere I went.  Was mostly on the east side between downtown and UCF/Avalon Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend, I went to the new Papa Johns on CR210 that just opened up and had a strong LTE signal with 6 full bars. It is right near I95, never had LTE anywhere near there until now. Unfortunately, it seems that it's range is really low.

• Like 3

Over the weekend, I went to the new Papa Johns on CR210 that just opened up and had a strong LTE signal with 6 full bars. It is right near I95, never had LTE anywhere near there until now. Unfortunately, it seems that it's range is really low.

I live off CR210. Man I hope that site you just said you got signal from is actually finished. It's been in progress for like 11 months. Lol

Sent from my LG-G2

I live off CR210. Man I hope that site you just said you got signal from is actually finished. It's been in progress for like 11 months. Lol

Sent from my LG-G2

I was hoping that it was that tower, but it doesn't seem like it holds a signal once you get out to the I95 ramp, so I am not sure. If you look at Sensorly, you will see two deep purple blips and then nothing. Not sure, but while waiting for my pizza (which by the way is $6.99 for a large for the grand opening), I got full signal and managed ~10 Mbps on the Speedtest, but it isn't showing up in Sensorly for some reason.

I was hoping that it was that tower, but it doesn't seem like it holds a signal once you get out to the I95 ramp, so I am not sure. If you look at Sensorly, you will see two deep purple blips and then nothing. Not sure, but while waiting for my pizza (which by the way is $6.99 for a large for the grand opening), I got full signal and managed ~10 Mbps on the Speedtest, but it isn't showing up in Sensorly for some reason.

I drove by it earlier and the best signal I got was -104 less than a quarter of a mile away in plain sight. Not sure.

Sent from my LG-G2

Okay I was on CR210 again this morning. Still not sure what's up. For the first time, I held LTE the entire distance from International Golf Pkwy (exit 323) to CR210 (exit 329). On the off ramp to turn onto CR210 I had -117 dBm. I passed the only tower Sprint tower in the area and not only dropped LTE, but went right to EVDO Rev A. As I drove right past the tower, the intersection about a block away is Russell Sampson. I suddenly had LTE with a -94 dBm signal. As soon as I drove through the intersection, I dropped to -111 dBm and I pulled into Vystar right across the street from the Papa Johns that I had the 6 bars of LTE on Saturday. I dropped to eHRPD. I went inside Vystar and went back to LTE with -104 dBm signal. I then left Vystar and drove to Wells Fargo a few miles down CR210 going West. I held the LTE signal the entire way, it fluctuated from -117 to -99 but never dropped. I continued to hold LTE inside Wells Fargo but dropped to EVDO Rev A in the parking lot. When I turned back onto CR210, I had LTE at -101 dBm and then held it all the way to I95. When I passed the Sprint tower, I dropped to -121 dBm and went as low as -124 on the on ramp. When I merged onto I95, I held -117 dBm and it grew to -103 and fluctuated a lot but stayed connected the entire trip back to International Golf Pkwy.

• Like 1

Here is one for thought, had to take my Mega back to Sprint over a week ago because the Charging Port went bad, they gave me another Mega to replace the original. All Updates were Downloaded but for the last 9 days I could not retain BC41 for more than a brief moment, frustrated I dialed in ##3282# then it asked for my code, no code was entered and Phone immediately Rebooted. Now BC41 is holding solid, went from -115 to -81. After digging around, it says it works on the LG G2 also, any thoughts?

I have no idea.

Here is one for thought, had to take my Mega back to Sprint over a week ago because the Charging Port went bad, they gave me another Mega to replace the original. All Updates were Downloaded but for the last 9 days I could not retain BC41 for more than a brief moment, frustrated I dialed in ##3282# then it asked for my code, no code was entered and Phone immediately Rebooted. Now BC41 is holding solid, went from -115 to -81. After digging around, it says it works on the LG G2 also, any thoughts?

Jacksonville proper is filling out nicely!! We were at the Town Centre earlier this week and I did have LTE on my iPhone 5. It was pretty quick too, despite only having -110 to -114dBn signal inside most buildings. It never really fell below 6 Mbps and as high as 15mbps, even with a -110dbm signal. I was actually surprised at the speeds, considering how packed that area is and only one tower is really serving that area. EVDO was pretty slow (0.3mbps up and 00.1 down). So not too happy there.

The last real strongholds are the east Arlington / Beach Blvd / Regency areas and the second tower at The Avenues. I'm interested to see how the weird tower spacing on east Arlington will perform on b25 and 41. There aren't a lot of towers in that area, for some reason. Wonderwood seems totally under served.

• Like 1

Only 42 sites in the whole Jax market that are still legacy. Starke 2, Gainesville 6, Ocala 6, Belleview 1, Summerfield 1, Beverly Hills 1, Bushnell 1, Webster 1, Jacksonville 23.

Note: I counted in progress sites to this list since technically they are still legacy. Also this is only up to Sunday so there might be even less sites completely legacy now.

• Like 1

Now every tower in St Augustine is broadcasting LTE except the one tower that serves the downtown historic district. It's a shame that the only tower that matters to all of the tourists here isn't completed, but at least I rarely brave the traffic and parking down there for it to affect me.

• Like 1

Now every tower in St Augustine is broadcasting LTE except the one tower that serves the downtown historic district. It's a shame that the only tower that matters to all of the tourists here isn't completed, but at least I rarely brave the traffic and parking down there for it to affect me.

True but doesn't it seem like St Augustine needs some new towers? Looking at the map spacing doesn't seem all that.

True but doesn't it seem like St Augustine needs some new towers? Looking at the map spacing doesn't seem all that.

There are a few spots where it is just on the edge of service, but I am hoping that the 800 mhz rollout will take care of that problem.

• Like 2

It's quite curious how they pick and choose.

So this may be a dumb question, but has anyone in an Ericsson market actually connected to an 800 mhz signal outside of using a special test PRL?

Nope!  And I think one of us only saw that it over a test PRL in the span of a few days.  Hasn't been spotted since.  All the work that Samsung is doing across their markets with 800mhz is really putting Ericsson to shame.

(Just speaking for Jax)

• Like 2

I'm curious if just one day we are going to see the whole state light up with 1x800.  I'm not very hopeful though.  Can't help but feel that something is amiss with Ericssons 1x800 rollout other than "We just haven't gotten to it yet".  

• Like 1

There must be something going on. Other areas have hundreds of towers come online with 1x800 all at once. Some areas even have nearly 100 LTE 800 online. We know that Ericsson can do 800 from looking at Texas. So...hopefully switches will start getting flipped and entire markets can be live all at once. I don't see any reason why not. It seems that the equipment is already there.