Microsoft Surface

twospirits

I actually like what Microsoft actually showed off today in their new tablet, but as usual, nothing of price, availability, if it has 3G, 4G, LTE, etc.

Its thin enough but will probably get priced way too high to make any mark on any other tablet out there.

TS

The tablets with ARM processors will be in 32 GB and 64 GB models with prices similar to other ARM passed tablets like the iPad. The Pro version will come in 128 GB and 256 GB models. The Pro version will have Intel processors and will be priced like ultrabooks!

I've been waiting for a good windows based tablet. I think that if they implement this perfect, it could steal some thunder from iPad, tablet PC's, and laptops. If they toss in some interoperability with Xbox, desktop windows PC's, and windows phones, they could begin building an empire in the mobile market.

Even if windows isn't your thing, it will push apple and Android to innovate faster.

• Like 2

I have been saying it all along that the MS tablet will have the potential to become king...integrating phone, tablet, and desk top to the office through desktop and exchange server for a secure truly fulfilling business platform. Windows 8 to "ME" is the key to this integration.

• Like 2

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. If it's not too expensive, I'll be buying as soon as possible when it releases as long as I have the money. I just hope it's less than $400.

Yeah, the more I look at this thing, and read about it...the more I like~ I just watched a very nice intro to the surface on the "Surface" youtube page. That little video on there just made me want to run out and buy one(if it were avail)

I am unbelievably excited for this. I wish they had a 13" version but I can deal with a 10". I've tried most of the tablets on the market and this has the possibility to finally be a laptop replacement for me. I am pumped.

I am unbelievably excited for this. I wish they had a 13" version but I can deal with a 10". I've tried most of the tablets on the market and this has the possibility to finally be a laptop replacement for me. I am pumped.

This may be just that for me. Replace the laptop with this and have the nexus 7 as my ultraportable tablet.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

I was hoping for some pricing announcements, but color me impressed. The one concern I had was that the ARM based WinRT version would only run the Metro apps, not generic apps built for Windows. I look at what I use my current 7" tablet for (HTC View), which is primary ebook reading, web surfing, Pandora, and watching videos. I'm hoping the Surface will have multi-codec support, or at least software players which will emulate ffmpeg or whatnot.

• Like 1

This thread makes me sad. I can't help but hope that you're all too young to be familiar with very much of Microsoft's history, or you just weren't paying attention to the past 20 years...

This thread makes me sad. I can't help but hope that you're all too young to be familiar with very much of Microsoft's history' date=' or you just weren't paying attention to the past 20 years...[/quote']

Welcome to 2012, Microsoft designed a mobile OS that is competitive with the likes of iOS and android.

And you entirely missed the point.

What was the point? That Microsoft has dominated the software market since the history of software? Or that you owned an abortion of a phone?

• 1 year later...

Holy resurrection batman! Did those of you who buy this still have it? I just bought the Pro, so i'm excited to replace my large laptop.

Microsoft is crumbling before everyone's eyes. The sheer magnitude of the price drops they are doing shows their desperation.

Holy resurrection batman!  Did those of you who buy this still have it? I just bought the Pro, so i'm excited to replace my large laptop.

Microsoft is crumbling before everyone's eyes. The sheer magnitude of the price drops they are doing shows their desperation.

I would be interested in a second generation, Haswell based Surface Pro for a laptop replacement, as long as it maintained the build quality of the first generation.  But will there be a second generation?  Or are the Surface tablets just the second coming of the HP TouchPad?

AJ

I would be interested in a second generation, Haswell based Surface Pro for a laptop replacement, as long as it maintained the build quality of the first generation. But will there be a second generation? Or are the Surface tablets just the second coming of the HP TouchPad?

AJ

That's what it's starting to look like.

ehh, the heck with the Surface, Pro or otherwise, They can price it at $100 and I won't get it. I am setting my sights on the Samsung ATIV Q now. That baby may just replace my dying Dell laptop, my Galaxy Note 10.1 and ATIV 500T all in one shot. I already sold my Note 10.1 and will be selling the ATIV 500T soon. The 500T I really do like (really wanted the 700T, but it was no where to be found back then) so I ended up buying it instead. But the ATIV Q with dual OS (Android and Microsoft), unique design and awesome screen, is really enticing. Only wish the Q had more ram but eh, for the stuff that I do, it will do nicely. 

TS

The sad part to this though is that this is better then my 4 year old sony vaio laptop that has a core 2 duo, 4gb ddr2 and a dedicated 512 video card.  I didn't want another ipad and i'm trying to keep the home network simple enough for myself.

ehh, the heck with the Surface, Pro or otherwise, They can price it at $100 and I won't get it. I am setting my sights on the Samsung ATIV Q now. That baby may just replace my dying Dell laptop, my Galaxy Note 10.1 and ATIV 500T all in one shot. I already sold my Note 10.1 and will be selling the ATIV 500T soon. The 500T I really do like (really wanted the 700T, but it was no where to be found back then) so I ended up buying it instead. But the ATIV Q with dual OS (Android and Microsoft), unique design and awesome screen, is really enticing. Only wish the Q had more ram but eh, for the stuff that I do, it will do nicely. 

TS

If they dropped the price to $100 I would buy one, strap a rope around it, set on top of a 20' tall building, and tie the other end of the rope to the back of a truck, and yank that thing off to see how it splats on the ground! Hahahaha :devil:

• Like 1