"Lightsquared gets additional rope"

xcharles718

I guess they're still working on attempting that DoD spectrum swap.

From Daily Wireless

http://www.dailywire...dditional-rope/

...LightSquared has reportedly reached a $190 million agreement with its creditors that will let it continue operations until September 2013, Bloomberg reports. At stake was the company’s ability to draw upon $190 million of encumbered cash at LightSquared LP, the main operating subsidiary of the company.

LightSquared filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in May after LightSquared’s founder, Harbinger Capital Partners CEO Philip Falcone, failed to strike a deal with lenders — holding more than $1 billion in company debt — to keep the company afloat.

The deal will allow the company to use as much as $190 million in collateral until the fall of next year while repaying creditors $6.25 million a month.

Meanwhile, a group of lawmakers pressed the FCC to review using Department of Defense spectrum for LightSquared.

“A spectrum swap is the most resourceful and efficient way to quickly expand broadband access nationwide,” the letter said. The letter was sent by Reps. Jim Moran (D-Va.), Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.), Steve Rothman (D-N.J.) Rodney Alexander (R-La.) and Ander Crenshaw (R-Fla.), all members of the House Appropriations Committee...

I hope they do not get it. I'd rather it go to someone like tmobile/sprint/ other RCA members over light squared.

FCC could give sprint the 700 and sprint give up the 800mhz.

Or tmobile buys 10mhz of the spectrum, and promises to build out the full 20mhz all over it's network.

Either way, we would have 3 national carriers using 700mhz, and if FCC forces interpolabolity. We could have smaller regional guys have the ability to roam on any of the three.

That sounds like a better plan than rewarding light squared on a failed gamble.

I hope they do not get it. I'd rather it go to someone like tmobile/sprint/ other RCA members over light squared.

FCC could give sprint the 700 and sprint give up the 800mhz.

Or tmobile buys 10mhz of the spectrum, and promises to build out the full 20mhz all over it's network.

Either way, we would have 3 national carriers using 700mhz, and if FCC forces interpolabolity. We could have smaller regional guys have the ability to roam on any of the three.

That sounds like a better plan than rewarding light squared on a failed gamble.

Where would they get this 700MHz spectrum that you're talking about? All of the 700MHz spectrum has been spoken for with public safety taking a big chunk.

Unless I am mistaken, isn't the spectrum light squared is trying to swap for is the public safety 700mhz.

Also AT&T only has 20mhz in like 1/3 of the country. Another 1/3 has 10mhz and the last 1/3 has no 700mhz. I believe Chicago is a 10mhz market.

Unless I am mistaken' date=' isn't the spectrum light squared is trying to swap for is the public safety 700mhz.

Also AT&T only has 20mhz in like 1/3 of the country. Another 1/3 has 10mhz and the last 1/3 has no 700mhz. I believe Chicago is a 10mhz market.[/quote']

Lightsquared is trying to swap for Department of Defense spectrum. I believe that the lowest frequency they could hope for from the DOD is in the 900 mhz band, but realistically, they will probably get something comparable to what they had, just without the interference issues.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Unless I am mistaken, isn't the spectrum light squared is trying to swap for is the public safety 700mhz.

Also AT&T only has 20mhz in like 1/3 of the country. Another 1/3 has 10mhz and the last 1/3 has no 700mhz. I believe Chicago is a 10mhz market.

As if PS is going to just roll over and play dead!

• 1 year later...

So I was looking through the permits for CT and saw that lightsquared was approved to install 3 antennas on a cell tower in Avon CT at 376 deercliff rd.

Last year they had applied for quite a few of them inside the Vegas City limits.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Last year they had applied for quite a few of them inside the Vegas City limits.

Las Vegas was a LightSquared test bed.

AJ

Las Vegas was a LightSquared test bed.

AJ

I figured as such, but they let quite a few of their permits lapse without doing anything to them.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I figured as such, but they let quite a few of their permits lapse without doing anything to them.

But with the permits they did use, they wrecked GPS.  So, that has to count for something.

AJ