Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Ok. I need some help analyzing some field test screens from my iPhone. The first pair is from a known, 24/7 horrible data area in Chicago. The second, at my house in the suburbs where I consistently have a 20mbps LTE connection.

First (bad):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741091.752164.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741102.882341.jpg

Second (excellent):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741127.133939.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741136.885157.jpg

If Someone with good knowledge of these numbers can let me know what they see, that would be great.

• Like 2

I spoke with a guy named Samuel at OpenSignal.  He was willing to help.  I believe OpenSignal uses user based Apps that run in the background to monitor wireless networks and send the data back to OpenSignal to catalog. Samuel told me he investigated speed reports from Chicago on Sprint and noticed a decline starting in September, though not to the point of complete crash we have noticed.  He asked if myself and others in this board would be willing to install the OpenSignal App to start feeding them so more data so he could investigate further.  I volunteered and said OK.  Will my friends Vtrossi, CubbieFan82, Drock2750, ChiWestLoop, and any others please follow suite and install the OpenSignal app?  

U got it, more then happy to help out.

Ok. I need some help analyzing some field test screens from my iPhone. The first pair is from a known, 24/7 horrible data area in Chicago. The second, at my house in the suburbs where I consistently have a 20mbps LTE connection.

First (bad):

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741091.752164.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741102.882341.jpg

Second (excellent):

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741127.133939.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1383741136.885157.jpg

If Someone with good knowledge of these numbers can let me know what they see, that would be great.

I think your Qrxlevmin is what I see in Signal Check Lite as RSRP (LTE signal strength).  I see the same values, -75dBm as a super strong LTE signal and -120dBm as essentially a dead zone, no signal.

I spoke with a guy named Samuel at OpenSignal.  He was willing to help.  I believe OpenSignal uses user based Apps that run in the background to monitor wireless networks and send the data back to OpenSignal to catalog. Samuel told me he investigated speed reports from Chicago on Sprint and noticed a decline starting in September, though not to the point of complete crash we have noticed.  He asked if myself and others in this board would be willing to install the OpenSignal App to start feeding them so more data so he could investigate further.  I volunteered and said OK.  Will my friends Vtrossi, CubbieFan82, Drock2750, ChiWestLoop, and any others please follow suite and install the OpenSignal app?  

Hey fellas. I've been away from the site for a little while and just popped in earlier this morning. I saw I had about 12 pages of unread posts in this thread and I thought somehow my last unread place was lost...not the case. 

I haven't been as much of a power user lately as I have been previously, but I've been seeing some serious issues as well, and it's ridiculous. I'll run with the Open Signal thing too. Just for kicks, I installed the Signal Lite and SpeedTest apps just a little while ago and ran some test. Like you guys, things aren't looking good.

Bit about me: Running a GS3 I got pretty much right when it came out. Rooted and running SlimBean, so it has Android 4.3 on it right now. I'll post this here from my laptop and I'll try to update it with some screenshots in hopes it might shed some light on things from another perspective.

I work right by Woodfield Mall and have a few towers pretty close to me. Both of these tests were done at my desk, which is pretty close to a few towers, but I'm also on the 10th floor, so I don't know how that affects things.

Since I've been sitting here, I've seen that SNR number go from about 0.5 up to a little over 6.0, for what it's worth.

hynuhyvu.jpg

zy6ebe6u.jpg

Hey fellas. I've been away from the site for a little while and just popped in earlier this morning. I saw I had about 12 pages of unread posts in this thread and I thought somehow my last unread place was lost...not the case. 

I haven't been as much of a power user lately as I have been previously, but I've been seeing some serious issues as well, and it's ridiculous. I'll run with the Open Signal thing too. Just for kicks, I installed the Signal Lite and SpeedTest apps just a little while ago and ran some test. Like you guys, things aren't looking good.

Bit about me: Running a GS3 I got pretty much right when it came out. Rooted and running SlimBean, so it has Android 4.3 on it right now. I'll post this here from my laptop and I'll try to update it with some screenshots in hopes it might shed some light on things from another perspective.

I work right by Woodfield Mall and have a few towers pretty close to me. Both of these tests were done at my desk, which is pretty close to a few towers, but I'm also on the 10th floor, so I don't know how that affects things.

Since I've been sitting here, I've seen that SNR number go from about 0.5 up to a little over 6.0, for what it's worth.

hynuhyvu.jpg

zy6ebe6u.jpg

You are noticing exactly the same thing myself and others have been noticing for two months now.  And I have been trying to make the point this isn't just a city thing, or crowding during peak times, the network is failing across the metro area.  Now you have noticed the same in Shaumburg, I noticed the same out in the South suburbs a couple weeks ago.

You are noticing exactly the same thing myself and others have been noticing for two months now.  And I have been trying to make the point this isn't just a city thing, or crowding during peak times, the network is failing across the metro area.  Now you have noticed the same in Shaumburg, I noticed the same out in the South suburbs a couple weeks ago.

Just curious if this is just affecting all Chicago users on any Sprint LTE phone or just the GS3.  Not saying this is just a GS3 thing but just trying to get more info.

Just curious if this is just affecting all Chicago users on any Sprint LTE phone or just the GS3.  Not saying this is just a GS3 thing but just trying to get more info.

There's been other people reporting it with other phones as well, but some are alluding to the fact the GS3 might be to blame which would make me a sad panda. I love my GS3.

I'm still about 99% certain I'll be heading to TMob when my contract is up next summer. I've been with Sprint for over a decade now and I've been holding on as long as I can. I had to sway wifey into sticking with them last summer when NV was at it's worst. Now this, and she's been telling me about more and more dropped calls lately too. It's just too much when you rely on your phones as much as we do.

There's been other people reporting it with other phones as well, but some are alluding to the fact the GS3 might be to blame which would make me a sad panda. I love my GS3.

I'm still about 99% certain I'll be heading to TMob when my contract is up next summer. I've been with Sprint for over a decade now and I've been holding on as long as I can. I had to sway wifey into sticking with them last summer when NV was at it's worst. Now this, and she's been telling me about more and more dropped calls lately too. It's just too much when you rely on your phones as much as we do.

Most likely me too, when my contract is up I will just go with whatever Rootmetrics says is the best LTE network in Chicago.  I can't sit around and keep waiting and going through these one step forward two step back moments with Sprint.

Been reported by people with Samsung, Apple, and HTC devices.  Its not a device issue, its not a neighborhood or zip code issue, its not an overcrowding during peak times issue, its not an ongoing Network Vision issue, its not a USCC site hand-off issue..........

For the first time I noticed this same issue out in the southwest side of Palatine. There was a fairly consistent RSRP in the mid 90s but a sub 5db SNR. This was on an HTC ONE.

EVDO speeds were pretty good.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I hate leaving my house to go to work. My house is an absolutely perfect sprint area. Speeds are lightning fast. It's strange that this network is so "feast or famine." I thought the glory of network vision was the ability to remotely tilt individual antennas and adjust power without having to send a crew. Strange that there are no improvements...ever.

It's unbelievable that someone at Sprint hasn't noticed that the LTE carrier is 30 dB POORER THAN 1X!!  If it is interference, it has to be one whopping signal since it covers all of Chicago!

PS: The company I used to work for years ago had it's local HQ on Woodfield Rd. across from the mall so I am VERY familiar with that area.  Do you remember Garfields?  Great snacks during happy hour!!

Most likely me too, when my contract is up I will just go with whatever Rootmetrics says is the best LTE network in Chicago.  I can't sit around and keep waiting and going through these one step forward two step back moments with Sprint.

I absolutely refuse to go with Verizon. I don't like the way the completely lock everything down (also why I don't like Apple) among other things. I probably stuck with Sprint so long because they were pretty friendly with the rooting community, but TMob is too. AT&T I don't know if I could go with them either. It's like I hate big establishment, but they seem to offer the best service...dang it!!

I'm looking forward to Sprint figuring out whatever this issue is, more than likely because of what's going on here, among us. Hey, the whole CarrierIQ thing totally blew up because of a few people noticing things weren't quite as they seemed. This isn't that, but it's not like it takes thousands of people complaining to get something to change. Provide some real evidence and maybe things will change for the better.

I absolutely refuse to go with Verizon. I don't like the way the completely lock everything down (also why I don't like Apple) among other things. I probably stuck with Sprint so long because they were pretty friendly with the rooting community, but TMob is too. AT&T I don't know if I could go with them either. It's like I hate big establishment, but they seem to offer the best service...dang it!!

I'm looking forward to Sprint figuring out whatever this issue is, more than likely because of what's going on here, among us. Hey, the whole CarrierIQ thing totally blew up because of a few people noticing things weren't quite as they seemed. This isn't that, but it's not like it takes thousands of people complaining to get something to change. Provide some real evidence and maybe things will change for the better.

What do you mean verizon locks everything down? They're the only carrier that sells unlocked devices out of the box.

What do you mean verizon locks everything down? They're the only carrier that sells unlocked devices out of the box.

He means installing other roms and such. Verizon does not allow that whereas T-Mobile and Sprint allow it. Some people (me included) value that.

It's unbelievable that someone at Sprint hasn't noticed that the LTE carrier is 30 dB POORER THAN 1X!!  If it is interference, it has to be one whopping signal since it covers all of Chicago!

PS: The company I used to work for years ago had it's local HQ on Woodfield Rd. across from the mall so I am VERY familiar with that area.  Do you remember Garfields?  Great snacks during happy hour!!

I don't think SpintCare on twitter, who I have been communicating this issue for months with even knew what SNR was.  Whenever I brought up signal strength and SNR they would just ask me whats my nearest Zip/Cross Streets as to just hope that the nearest tower shows ongoing NV upgrades.  Finally a few days ago they responded somewhat acknowledging there is a data speed issue around Chicago.

@Joeynach We are seeing some varying speeds, that are being addressed, and with Sprint Spark launching there speeds will increase!*NRA

I don't want to go to VZW or ATT either.  Those companies are ones that lobby against internet freedom, were pro SOPA/PIPA, and side with institutions like RIAA and govt when it comes to limiting, blocking, capping, and exploiting data and consumer privacy.  Problem is I can't stand have a minor league LTE network either.

I have OpenSignal looking into the issue.  Hopefully something will come of this in due time.  A few negative blogs, tweets, posts in the Wireless, Tech, Telecom online community from legit sources should do the trick.

• Like 1

Why?

A warning to all before Sprint bashing begins and comparisons to other carriers are made etc etc. People follow this thread to hear up to date info on Sprints network (good or bad) and not what other carriers are doing. 

• Like 1

A warning to all before Sprint bashing begins and comparisons to other carriers are made etc etc. People follow this thread to hear up to date info on Sprints network (good or bad) and not what other carriers are doing. 

I think the discussion here by other folks about these issues has been very valuable. I know it is to me. Some of these issues effect me as well.

I think the discussion here by other folks about these issues has been very valuable. I know it is to me. Some of these issues effect me as well.

I obviously cannot speak for the mods but I don't think discussing this issue was what they were concerned about. I am going to try and pay more attention tomorrow to the speeds and snr since the problem area seems to be expanding.

I don't think SpintCare on twitter, who I have been communicating this issue for months with even knew what SNR was. Whenever I brought up signal strength and SNR they would just ask me whats my nearest Zip/Cross Streets as to just hope that the nearest tower shows ongoing NV upgrades. Finally a few days ago they responded somewhat acknowledging there is a data speed issue around Chicago.

@Joeynach We are seeing some varying speeds, that are being addressed, and with Sprint Spark launching there speeds will increase!*NRA

I am not sure that NRA on the Sprintcare account still knows what's up or what a SNR is. Keep on them daily. Also email the Dan@sprint thing and just be professional and not come off as bitchy and whining. Continue to provide data and stay on them daily.

• Like 2