Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

Sorry. I can't upload the picture. Says file is too big and I'm too stupid to figure it out

Are these the ones, 66bobbo? I drove up there in my new truck...

EDIT: Though it says 3g at the top of the screen, that is when I took the screenshots from sensorly... those were when my phone was in 4g mode.

DOPLu.jpg

LJGlI.jpg

Edited by MarkBogi

Somebody was in the Wendy's restaurant and turned Sensorly on for a moment. Too bad they did not leave Sensorly plot their path as they departed.

It probably would have plotted a quick path to the bathroom.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I wonder, with regards to 66bobbo and my posts, any ideas as to why we'd see 4g yesterday but not today? A little later I'm gonna try to get up there and put my phone in 4g only mode, but even in the picture with the dot i was seeing around -109 for the RSRP... do they do "test runs" first?

I'm just hoping i didn't finally get a taste of 4g and have it snatched away lol

I wonder, with regards to 66bobbo and my posts, any ideas as to why we'd see 4g yesterday but not today? A little later I'm gonna try to get up there and put my phone in 4g only mode, but even in the picture with the dot i was seeing around -109 for the RSRP... do they do "test runs" first?

I'm just hoping i didn't finally get a taste of 4g and have it snatched away lol

It is common for signals to come and go in unlaunched markets. We see this happen often. Especially with the very first sites in a market.

Robert

• Like 1

It probably would have plotted a quick path to the bathroom.

What? Nobody like this? Wendy's...Sensorly...plotting a quick path to the bathroom. That is comedy gold. What are all of you, Wendy's fans? Fine, go enjoy your Frostys.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

What? Nobody like this? Wendy's...Sensorly...plotting a quick path to the bathroom. That is comedy gold. What are all of you, Wendy's fans? Fine, go enjoy your Frostys.

;)

AJ

I'm starting to think you might be related to the Claptrap from Borderlands/Borderlands 2...

See:

(start at 2:56. and see also 4:34)

;)

AJ

I could sure go for a Strawberry Frosty Shake right about now.

;)

AJ

Yeh AJ, I thought it was real good. You not only know your RF & cell phones, your jokes and comments are quite often very good too. This did make me grin.

There's a Sprint tower right behind our local Wendy's come to think of it. Is that by design or accident?

Okay, I really wish I could do more with the Sensorly install I have on my iPhone5. I'd love to be able to do the trip plot maneuver that the Droid phones can. In fact, I actually considered moving to droid just because of Sensorly but as a smartphone admin for a Fortune 100 type business I find that every time I try to type or use an android device my fingers refuse. It's sad. I can't type on them or control them to save my life.

Full Sensorly on the iPhone but I imagine Apple is like "why would you want an app to do that?" Well, for this reason.

There's a Sprint tower right behind our local Wendy's come to think of it. Is that by design or accident?

Okay, I really wish I could do more with the Sensorly install I have on my iPhone5. I'd love to be able to do the trip plot maneuver that the Droid phones can. In fact, I actually considered moving to droid just because of Sensorly but as a smartphone admin for a Fortune 100 type business I find that every time I try to type or use an android device my fingers refuse. It's sad. I can't type on them or control them to save my life.

Full Sensorly on the iPhone but I imagine Apple is like "why would you want an app to do that?" Well, for this reason.

What kinds of phones do you see in your business mostly?

2 years ago I would say it was mostly iPhones for email setup. Haven't seen one in quite a while. It's all been Androids here.. Lots of S3's! No windows phones and a handful of blackberry hanger oners.

Another tech admin friend of mine also says the same thing that his workers have swapped and given the iPhones to the kids. Kinda clicked as I really only see kids or old people with iPhones anymore.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 3

Problem with map fixed. For some reason, I didn't have the ability to post HTML in my own forums anymore. :lol:

Robert

• Like 1

What kinds of phones do you see in your business mostly?

2 years ago I would say it was mostly iPhones for email setup. Haven't seen one in quite a while. It's all been Androids here.. Lots of S3's! No windows phones and a handful of blackberry hanger oners.

Another tech admin friend of mine also says the same thing that his workers have swapped and given the iPhones to the kids. Kinda clicked as I really only see kids or old people with iPhones anymore.

Since it's a real estate firm and since real estate agents are independent contractors they buy what they want - it's all across the board. We've got blackberry enterprise server for those who are still using those devices but the vast majority are iphone/ipad or android smartphones and tablets. I think the very last Treo running Goodlink shut down earlier last year - the migration was fast and furious. Most of the agents who have computers or iphones also have ipads which may or may not have cellular service and/or equivalent android phones and tablets. A lot of HTC product such as the EVO - it will be interesting to see where this goes after those users two year contracts are up. I'm not seeing a lot of Samsung Galaxy Note or SIII believe it or not. Windows phones are still in the minority. In our case the minority at this time is android since our current email server architecture works well enough with android but we found two instances (software bugs) relating to exchange activesync where if certain conditions existed (either low memory on the phone or their mailbox close to established limits) they just wouldn't get email anymore no matter what you did which had a lot of people up in arms since to fix it you basically had to completely wipe the phone and nobody wants to do that. Our email server is changing soon so things could change. A lot of it is "what things can we do that will get us customers and buyers" - that iPad3/4 retina display does a good job showing photos of properties if it's a prospect who is relocating due to a job: "we'll fly out there and see it in person now." They have a presentation template for a certain app they use. There's a few old timers still on non smart-phones but even the old guys have some kind of smartphone now. Which presents a whole new range of problems of course.

It is common for signals to come and go in unlaunched markets. We see this happen often. Especially with the very first sites in a market.

Robert

Does that mean the tower is ready, but in testing mode? What would be a good time frame to be consistently on? You show Phila market as 7% finished. One tower reading only according to sensorly readings, yet Delaware shows 18% completed and not 1 purple spot in the whole state. Can you explain a little why that might be? Thanks
  • Like 1

Does that mean the tower is ready, but in testing mode? What would be a good time frame to be consistently on? You show Phila market as 7% finished. One tower reading only according to sensorly readings, yet Delaware shows 18% completed and not 1 purple spot in the whole state. Can you explain a little why that might be? Thanks

It doesn't mean anything, really. In unlaunched markets they are constantly doing things to optimize signals, work on sites, clusters even the network and software. It just will come and go,.

Delaware is not as far along as the Philly market. A lot more sites have been worked on in the Philly market than Delaware. Delaware has 139 sites total, Philly has 621. So the percentages do not really tell the story. The Philly market is just now becoming ready to bring LTE online in some places. Delaware is not ready, yet.

Robert

• Like 1

Had to roll back to a previous version of Sensorly. Got tired of looking at NYC every time I hit coverage map, no offense NYCians.

I have been doing some digging and I believe I can make a simple app that would help me identify cell sites and LTE sites. I really wish Sensorly would capture and show us more than just signal info. In NOLA we already ran into several times where we wished we knew the LTE info on the signal. By no means is it going to be a Sensorly like app or replace it. It will just feed the need for more data that us wireless geeks are vying for everyday in our LTE hunting adventures.

Going to be cool.. Sensorly mapping the trip in the background building the map and a geeky all in one debug menu. Just hope I can pull this off.

• Like 3

It doesn't mean anything, really. In unlaunched markets they are constantly doing things to optimize signals, work on sites, clusters even the network and software. It just will come and go,.

Delaware is not as far along as the Philly market. A lot more sites have been worked on in the Philly market than Delaware. Delaware has 139 sites total, Philly has 621. So the percentages do not really tell the story. The Philly market is just now becoming ready to bring LTE online in some places. Delaware is not ready, yet.

Robert

Great info. I was thinking market vs state. That clears up my confusion quite a bit. Thanks. I'm so starved and anxious for 4g. Edited by 66bobbo
  • Like 1