Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

Yesterday I connected to 4G in an area of Miami which I had never connected to before and when I tried to map this on Sensorly using the "map trip", when I hit "start" it didnt collect any points etc. Thinking it may be im not getting a GPS lock I opened the Navigation app and tried to go somewhere and I got a GPS lock instantly so that wasn't it.

Does anyone know why this could of happened?

May be a bug introduced in the last update.

I recently noticed that Sensorly, after setting it to start mapping a trip, would log LTE for a little while but then stop and not resume. I wasn't sure that I hadn't unknowingly done something dumb. However, a few hours ago, I tracked about 40 miles. Many of those miles included known LTE areas (some of which I visually confirmed by glancing at the phone). Sensorly found zero LTE.

I think it's time I gave Sensorly a break until the next update.

ATTENTION S4GRU MEMBERS: We have joined to collaborate with Sensorly on a thread here at S4GRU. Above is an embedded Sensorly Sprint LTE map for our member's use. In the thread below, feel free to post comments or questions related to the Sensorly coverage, the Sensorly app or other things relevant. Sensorly will stop by occasionally to participate in the conversation and answer some questions as they have time. Please be respectful and constructive with your questions and comments. We appreciate being able to have direct access with these guys, as the Sensorly app is such an integral part of what we wireless enthusiasts do to track Network Vision/LTE deployment. Robert

I downloaded this app, but it drained too much battery on my phone, so I removed it. Any tips on reducing battery consumption.? Mine is HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I downloaded this app, but it drained too much battery on my phone, so I removed it. Any tips on reducing battery consumption.? Mine is HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Personally, I do not do significant Sensorly mapping unless I'm plugged into the charger. Which I almost always am when I am in the car.

Robert

Personally, I do not do significant Sensorly mapping unless I'm plugged into the charger. Which I almost always am when I am in the car.

Robert

The app seems to wake up at random and I do not even try to turn it on. How do I disable automatic wake up feature? Thks

Change the contribution settings from Passive to No Contribution. I leave mine in No Contribution and then just hit "Map Trip" and Start when I do want to contribute.

Robert

• Like 2

Lately I've mapped a few trips that haven't gotten uploaded. Not sure if it's worth it anymore with this inconsistency.

Totally gotta eat my words on this last one. It updated. Not sure why one I did a week ago didn't, but I'm happy today heh.

Lately I've mapped a few trips that haven't gotten uploaded. Not sure if it's worth it anymore with this inconsistency.

Always check your details screen to see if it uploaded. Sometimes the servers are swamped and won't upload. And as we all know from the past it takes a bit to update all the zoom layers.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

Totally gotta eat my words on this last one. It updated. Not sure why one I did a week ago didn't, but I'm happy today heh.

Seems like they were having server issues. Had over 10,000 messages to send last week and it took nearly 3 days to finally get it all uploaded.

• Like 1

I've noticed that if you are actively "mapping your trip" the results get uploaded immediately, whereas the passive scans get uploaded at a later(unknown) time, perhaps when your device is inactive? It isn't such a big deal for me because of the Note 2's generous battery (plus a spare just in case) although like Robert, if I am on the road 90% of the time my device is plugged in to keep a current charge.

On an unrelated note, I think I am getting addicted to ingress now that I've finally received an invite

With some sites still testing, I am not sure the data would be reliable in the long run. For example, they light up a site and people drive around mapping. However the techs may increase or decrease signal, or they may adjust the signal by projecting in a different direction? Does old data get removed at some point?

Guest 503ducati

I've noticed that if you are actively "mapping your trip" the results get uploaded immediately, whereas the passive scans get uploaded at a later(unknown) time, perhaps when your device is inactive?

I noticed that too, today mapped some new areas. Upon "Stopping" it was added to maps within an hour.

With some sites still testing, I am not sure the data would be reliable in the long run. For example, they light up a site and people drive around mapping. However the techs may increase or decrease signal, or they may adjust the signal by projecting in a different direction? Does old data get removed at some point?

The signal won't increase or decrease, they can't do that. The physical tilt of the panels will be changed as more towers come online, but that realy only changes the coverage of the site. And even that's not a big deal since there are more sites online in the area.

Sensorly data is averaged over time as more people track the same area. So if the signal did change drastically for some reason, the mapping will average down, or up, over time.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

The signal won't increase or decrease, they can't do that. The physical tilt of the panels will be changed as more towers come online, but that realy only changes the coverage of the site. And even that's not a big deal since there are more sites online in the area.

Sensorly data is averaged over time as more people track the same area. So if the signal did change drastically for some reason, the mapping will average down, or up, over time.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

They most certainly average the coverage depicted over time. I have seen some major adjustments in signal strength over the course of days where LTE was no longer active or very weak and Sensorly remapped the affected areas with a proper signal strength and in some places removed them completely.

Of course I always leave an active sensorly mapping session open when i am out of the house, so maybe they get a much better indicator of those areas I frequent.

Are they having server issues? Some zoom levels have not updated for over a day now.

Sure looks like they are having some serious issues. A couple of months ago, it worked very well. In the last month or two, it has been having troubles and it is not getting better. I worry about this a little. Sensorly had been a great tool. Right now, it is barely useable.

No troubles here. Uploaded a few new points this morning and they showed up when I checked an hour later.

Unless they fixed it, you got lucky.

Try zooming in and out. Many times I see the mapping just on one level and zooming in or out, it does not show up, Sometimes it takes days. I used to have the maps displayed on my phone as I drove around so I could see previous mapping. Now, it rarely loads quick enough to be of any help.

• Like 1

Try zooming in and out. Many times I see the mapping just on one level and zooming in or out, it does not show up, Sometimes it takes days. I used to have the maps displayed on my phone as I drove around so I could see previous mapping. Now, it rarely loads quick enough to be of any help.

Yeah, different zoom levels can take time. I loaded some 4G points this morning and at the city level they should up an hour or so later. Zoom in one level and still not there yet. I'll keep an eye and see how long it takes for them to show.

That's the map cache getting you. I have seen two different maps on two different devices side by side. Just have to drag around and zoom in and out to get it to say loading on the tile layer.

• Like 2

That's the map cache getting you. I have seen two different maps on two different devices side by side. Just have to drag around and zoom in and out to get it to say loading on the tile layer.

I just loaded the Durham map in a different browser (Firefox, when I normally use Chrome) for the first time. I see my new points from this morning at the city level, and not at any of the lower zoom levels yet.

Edit:

Actually, it's at the city level, then two levels that they are not there. Once you get past those two middle levels it's back again when you're closer into to the street level. So, it must build the different levels at different times, just depends on what gets done when I guess.

Humm.. that's strange : if you set it to "no contribution", it should never map, even if you hit map trip. There should be a warning, isn't there one ?

Sometimes it takes a while, either there's a sudden traffic spike or we may be doing a bit of maintenance.

This weekend, I re-initialized the mapping process and fixed a long standing bug that was making updates to some areas slow, so there shouldn't be any discrepancies left. Go ahead and contact us (contact@se....) if you see any.

• Like 2

Humm.. that's strange : if you set it to "no contribution", it should never map, even if you hit map trip. There should be a warning, isn't there one ?

Every time I set to "no contribution" it resets to Passive. Not right away, sometimes its a couple days, but I will notice it running again even though I told it not to. This is on my GS3.