Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Just curious the first hour or so the 5.0 NK2 update my phone was laggy, hot, and haad poor battery. Did the OTA update do that? After the hour, Battery life increased, and ran smoother. Was anyone able to pull the OTA link?

Just curious the first hour or so the 5.0 NK2 update my phone was laggy, hot, and haad poor battery. Did the OTA update do that? After the hour, Battery life increased, and ran smoother. Was anyone able to pull the OTA link?

All that was likely due to the update. I've had that happen before it would ramp up the cup for the update and get warm and consume a good bit of battery. After 30 mins to a hour it was fine and running smooth. Hope the update is awesome I'm still waiting on mine :-)

Sent from my LG G3.

Have any of the upgraders gotten far enough to talk about major advantages (and disadvantages) of the upgrade, beyond the minor issues immediately following it?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Have any of the upgraders gotten far enough to talk about major advantages (and disadvantages) of the upgrade, beyond the minor issues immediately following it?

Thanks in advance.

If you've used art before maybe you won't notice the speed bump. But I can notice it. I think. I thought I would hate the light theme of lollipop. But it's not bad. But might be disadvantageous to battery life.
  • Like 1

I don't like the colors of lollipop. Seems like it's made for a teen age girl. The battery life is awful,just when I thought my S5 couldn't have a worse battery life...

Guess ill be using the M8 as a daily user now until the M9 and S6 are announced

I don't like the colors of lollipop. Seems like it's made for a teen age girl. The battery life is awful,just when I thought my S5 couldn't have a worse battery life...

Really? My battery life increased quite a bit. Will be able to tell more by the end of tonight. But so far better battery life, the first days battery life isnt very good after the update for me, but it stabilized
  • Like 1

Yeah I would wait a couple of days. All my juice is being used by android stuff so I'm guessing in a couple days it'll stabilize.

d3d91cd6d0746e329a7f4af244143ee7.jpg

Woof, yesterday was rough on my battery life. I wiped her clean and I rebuilt. Thought it was going to melt at one point it was so hot. I figured out that Facebook Messenger was complete wake lock and ripping through battery. Also, Chrome Beta won't work at all.

This morning is muuuuuuch better. Very snappy and responsive. No major complaints except how the Nova actions for notification shade don't work anymore (ie, swipe down anywhere to bring down notifications). In fact, I'm definitely not used to the notifications yet, rather intrusive to what one's doing. And chrome tabs being in the recents (I know I can change it) is a departure in behavior for me as well.

I've got to mess with the priority modes and whatnot more. Seems promising for interaction with my watches quickly. This build works better with my Android Wear watches too, definitely dig the smart unlock.

Things are definitely prettier on this software. Looking forward to day 2 of experience. Kind of exciting after being in the same usage rut for a long time.

Oh, I'm sure you guys figured it out by now but if you're having the Play Services message, just go into app manager and "uninstall updates" then reboot.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

• Like 1

I reset my S5 last night and while going through the setup process I noticed it said to sign into dropbox and get 50GB free for 2 years.  Is that new?  Of course, since I had two factor authentication turned on I couldn't receive the code and had to skip setting up dropbox.  I signed in later and didn't see any mention of free space.

I reset my S5 last night and while going through the setup process I noticed it said to sign into dropbox and get 50GB free for 2 years.  Is that new?  Of course, since I had two factor authentication turned on I couldn't receive the code and had to skip setting up dropbox.  I signed in later and didn't see any mention of free space.

That's for new account holders unfortunately.  If you already received 50GB in the past, it won't apply.  

Anybody else have a pretty no hassle upgrade?

Yes, although the OTA server(s) must have been very busy yesterday in the evening, causing the first download attempt to fail gracefully.  The phone then restarted the download this morning, sped through it, and did the upgrade. No issues so far with apps, battery, overheating, or any of that stuff.

• Like 1

This morning is muuuuuuch better. Very snappy and responsive. No major complaints except how the Nova actions for notification shade don't work anymore (ie, swipe down anywhere to bring down notifications). In fact, I'm definitely not used to the notifications yet, rather intrusive to what one's doing. And chrome tabs being in the recents (I know I can change it) is a departure in behavior for me as well.

Oh, I'm sure you guys figured it out by now but if you're having the Play Services message, just go into app manager and "uninstall updates" then reboot.

Yeah i use the same swipe down gesture in Nova. That doesn't work. But I use a swipe up to show recent apps. And that still works.

Is there anyway to disable the intrusive notifications? I only get them for certain apps like what's app and messaging. And it's kinda annoying. I wish we could dismiss them and keep them still in the notifications area. I've mistakenly dismissed them. While doing something else and forget what it's for later.

The play services error went away for me after 2 or 3 restarts.

• Like 1

Yeah i use the same swipe down gesture in Nova. That doesn't work. But I use a swipe up to show recent apps. And that still works.

Is there anyway to disable the intrusive notifications? I only get them for certain apps like what's app and messaging. And it's kinda annoying. I wish we could dismiss them and keep them still in the notifications area. I've mistakenly dismissed them. While doing something else and forget what it's for later.

The play services error went away for me after 2 or 3 restarts.

So I think you can tweak that in "interruptions" in notifications menu.

Action Launcher also doesn't allow the swipe down so it must be a Samsung issue they'll have to work around eventually.

• Like 1

You guys getting this heart rate light whenever you put your finger near it while the screen is on? Not when using S health or reading heart rate. Just happens all the time.

WtlVcfQ.jpg

So annoying. I've factory reset, wiped caches, still happens.