HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

I'm really curious about the silver version of this phone. The gunmetal grey version is obviously the flagship so that's everywhere, and apparently best buy has exclusivity on the gold (what gives, it's 2014) but all I really care about is the silver. When will that be available?

Also from what I understand only the 16 GB version is available now. Am I wrong about that? If not, when do you guys think the 32 GB version will go on sale?

32 GB silver is the dream

I'm really curious about the silver version of this phone. The gunmetal grey version is obviously the flagship so that's everywhere, and apparently best buy has exclusivity on the gold (what gives, it's 2014) but all I really care about is the silver. When will that be available?

Also from what I understand only the 16 GB version is available now. Am I wrong about that? If not, when do you guys think the 32 GB version will go on sale?

32 GB silver is the dream

Sprint only sells the 32GB version and it's 199.99 on contract.

Sprint only sells the 32GB version and it's 199.99 on contract.

That's awesome, when I saw only one version online for $199.99 I assumed it was the 16GB version.

Now, I just have to wait for silver...

That's awesome, when I saw only one version online for $199.99 I assumed it was the 16GB version.

Now, I just have to wait for silver...

You might have to wait awhile, VZW already has this color so it may ended up being exclusive to them for some time.

This is my biggest complaint as well,  due to random migraines I wear sunglasses about 90% of the time when its sunny outside and I can hardly see the screen when wearing sunglasses, no issues with my n5, one max, m7 or evo lte.  I wonder who manufactures these screens and I wonder if they have more than one supplier for their screens, I hope they do.  Overall I do think the screen is more vibrant and better looking than the one on the m7 but this is a major issue for me as well.

Edit:  Turned out to be a rogue screen protector, if you have a screen protector on try changing it out.

i dont have a screen protector on mine, and its very difficult to see whats on the screen with polaraized shades on. non-polarized shades dont have that problem.

i dont have a screen protector on mine, and its very difficult to see whats on the screen with polaraized shades on. non-polarized shades dont have that problem.

That is a common issue with LCD displays and polarized glasses.  It is possible that previous LCD displays on phones you guys have used something to compensate for that like a circular polarization filter.  I'm curious, does this happen in both landscape and portrait mode?  IPads will do this in portrait mode and not landcape, I may have that backwards.

This happens with the N5 as well, and it used to happen with the original One.

That is a common issue with LCD displays and polarized glasses.  It is possible that previous LCD displays on phones you guys have used something to compensate for that like a circular polarization filter.  I'm curious, does this happen in both landscape and portrait mode?  IPads will do this in portrait mode and not landcape, I may have that backwards.

I tried out a test model and it happened in landscape mode, just the like n5.

-Luis

This happens with the N5 as well, and it used to happen with the original One.

I tried out a test model and it happened in landscape mode, just the like n5.

-Luis

I haven't had this issue with any recent device I have owned regardless of what position I am holding it in.

Are you using non-polarized sunglasses? It happens all the time to me with the N5 in landscape mode.

-Luis

All my sunglasses are polarized, it helps with my migraines.  Now I will say that it does distort things slightly(very slightly) but not to where I can't make anything out at all unlike with lcd tv's where I can't see anything.  Anyway, I didn't have an issue with my evo, one, one max, n5 or m8.

you are correct. if i re-orient to landscape mode, i can see it clearly with polarized shades.

All my sunglasses are polarized, it helps with my migraines.  Now I will say that it does distort things slightly(very slightly) but not to where I can't make anything out at all unlike with lcd tv's where I can't see anything.  Anyway, I didn't have an issue with my evo, one, one max, n5 or m8.

That's interesting. I can probably recreate it later when I get home. I'll take a video of it if it happens.

-Luis

Wow.  You are absolutely correct.  When orientated in landscape mode the screen looks perfect with polarized shades.  When in portrait, it's barely visible.

That's interesting. I can probably recreate it later when I get home. I'll take a video of it if it happens.

-Luis

Do you use screen protectors?

you are correct. if i re-orient to landscape mode, i can see it clearly with polarized shades.

Wow.  You are absolutely correct.  When orientated in landscape mode the screen looks perfect with polarized shades.  When in portrait, it's barely visible.

That's the way the screen was designed then.  There are a couple different ways to approach the issue and it appears HTC concluded that the best use case would be to allow viewing in landscape mode as most people will use polarized glasses while driving and you would still be able to see a nav app with the phone docked on your dash.

Here's a fun article that kind of gives an idea about how LCD's and polarization work and why you can't see LCD's properly with polarized glasses (they are already polarized).  http://lifehacker.com/5862795/hack-an-old-lcd-monitor-into-a-polarized-privacy-monitor/all

That's the way the screen was designed then.  There are a couple different ways to approach the issue and it appears HTC concluded that the best use case would be to allow viewing in landscape mode as most people will use polarized glasses while driving and you would still be able to see a nav app with the phone docked on your dash.

Here's a fun article that kind of gives an idea about how LCD's and polarization work and why you can't see LCD's properly with polarized glasses (they are already polarized).  http://lifehacker.com/5862795/hack-an-old-lcd-monitor-into-a-polarized-privacy-monitor/all

Sadly, that is not 100% true.  This article explains the problem:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/ipads-go-black-in-portrait-mode-with-polarized-sunglasses/12706

They could have used any of these solutions to allow the phone to look good in portrait OR landscape mode:

Using polarized sunglasses all iPads go black in Portrait mode. Other displays go black in Landscape mode. Much better is for the manufacturer to set the extinction at 45 degrees so the display looks good in both Portrait and Landscape modes. The Motorola Xoom behaves this way. Best of all, with compensating films this effect can go away almost entirely.

I kind of feel like they went cheap on this option.

Sadly, that is not 100% true.  This article explains the problem:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/ipads-go-black-in-portrait-mode-with-polarized-sunglasses/12706

They could have used any of these solutions to allow the phone to look good in portrait OR landscape mode:

Using polarized sunglasses all iPads go black in Portrait mode. Other displays go black in Landscape mode. Much better is for the manufacturer to set the extinction at 45 degrees so the display looks good in both Portrait and Landscape modes. The Motorola Xoom behaves this way. Best of all, with compensating films this effect can go away almost entirely.

I kind of feel like they went cheap on this option.

I never meant to imply that they only had the option of one or the other just stating why I believed they decided on landscape mode.  There are definitely other options and I'm not sure of the cost associated with them but I would imagine it would be fairly minimal.

I wish i could get behind the gun metal grey. The silver looks much better imo

I didn't really like the gun metal gray until it arrived now every time I pull it out of my pocket I go "Damn that's a sexy phone." My Apple loving coworker wants my M8 because it looks so good.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I played around with both the grey and silver at a verizon store. The grey looks nice but felt too slippery and I have my m7 out of the case a lot at home. The silver just has such a nice sandblasted finish.

I love the feel of mine. I throw mine around and flip it all the time and have yet to drop it. In comparison, my M7, EVO LTE, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, and all the crappy Samsung flip/slider phones I had all ended up hitting the ground within 24 hours out of the box, most of which were within the first hour.