Why is texting faster on Extended network?

When I text on Sprint (iPhone) it takes about 5 seconds to send. When the phone is on Extended network, it sends almost instantaneously. What's up with that?

/edit

This was regular Text message not imessage, sending to a phone on AT&T. And I also tried sending to 311 the "usage" command and it send and replied back instantly.

When I text on Sprint (iPhone) it takes about 5 seconds to send. When the phone is on Extended network, it sends almost instantaneously. What's up with that?

Mine works the same way. Since Sprint's 3g speed in my area tops out at 30kbps, roaming is almost 5-7 times faster. That may explain your situation. Have you done a speed test of Sprint's speed in your area? (this is for iMessage as iMessage uses the data network)

Edited by bkco14

This was regular Text message not imessage, sending to a phone on AT&T. And I also tried sending to 311 the "usage" command and it send and replied back instantly.

When you are on extended, you are already on 1x (which is what txt msg goes over).

It's faster because it doesn't have to switch from EVDO to 1x to send the text.

Hmm. But if I turn off cellular data and 3G, it's still the same speed (about 4 to 5 seconds). Not sure if this puts it into 1x mode though.

Hmm. But if I turn off cellular data and 3G, it's still the same speed (about 4 to 5 seconds). Not sure if this puts it into 1x mode though.

Hrm, I am not sure why that would be. Interesting - I am not sure.

Nope, from an RF standpoint, that does not shut off EV-DO. Your handset continues to monitor an EV-DO carrier; your settings just prevent any data usage. I have verified this by watching the field test debug screen.

AJ

• Like 2

I get the same behavior too at the house and I am on 1xRTT. I rarely get EVDO revision A or 0 at the house. Once I am roaming and on Cricket, the texts are sent instantly almost.

Also for some reason on my EVO 3D, while roaming, I can't get new texts. I have to switch back to Sprint to get the new texts. When roaming, it will keep sending me the same text over and over again. This only happens on my phone and this is the 3rd EVO 3D Sprint have given me with the same behavior. My wife has an iPhone 4s and doesn't get this behavior with her phone. This also happens while in other parts of the city I might drive to.

I have found that on my iPhone 4S, I have the 51087 PRL that allows Verizon 3G roaming (at least in my area, Avon, NY) because on my Evo Shift and Epic 4G I have never seen 3G roaming, but with my iPhone when it switches to Extended, the 3G speeds to from .6-.7 (Sprint) to 1.25 (VZW) and when I call *2 it gives me an VZW error message.....weird I'm not on the 60687 PRL...I have an Evo Shift activated and I can say that it always roams at 1x and my iPhone roams at 3G

One thing I noticed with my iPhone I had on at&t is that it took 4-5 seconds to send a text message, and that was long before iMessage existed.

I have Sprint and roam offen in my house. It usually takes me 4-5 seconds max to send a text on Sprint's network but roaming forget about texting. My messages almost never get sent if I am roaming. If it were not for iMessage then I would not be able tot text my friends and family (most have iPhones)

• 4 weeks later...

idk it all depeneds i think ive had really fast txts sent on sprint and it said 3g at the top of the iphone not using imessage but when roaming here in AR actually i dont know why but i never roam on verizon or crickets 2g 1xrtt network i always get 3G so not sure why you alls in on 1xrtt. but even still txts send fast.

I have found that on my iPhone 4S, I have the 51087 PRL that allows Verizon 3G roaming (at least in my area, Avon, NY) because on my Evo Shift and Epic 4G I have never seen 3G roaming, but with my iPhone when it switches to Extended, the 3G speeds to from .6-.7 (Sprint) to 1.25 (VZW) and when I call *2 it gives me an VZW error message.....weird I'm not on the 60687 PRL...I have an Evo Shift activated and I can say that it always roams at 1x and my iPhone roams at 3G

How did you get that PRL on your phone?

How did you get that PRL on your phone?

That is the PRL that the iPhone uses from Sprint. I have not loaded it my self but got it from ##UPDATE# because the 31001 (I think) came with the iPhone and gave me problems. I have never seen a PRL starting with 51 on Sprint but thats what my iPhone uses.

Pretty sure I remember reading that txts are sent out over 1xrtt and that the phone actually bumps back down to 1xrtt to send a text or a voice call? So if it is already on extended roaming (1xrtt) there is not change, if you are on 3g (EVDO) it has to change?

That is the PRL that the iPhone uses from Sprint. I have not loaded it my self but got it from ##UPDATE# because the 31001 (I think) came with the iPhone and gave me problems. I have never seen a PRL starting with 51 on Sprint but thats what my iPhone uses.

Ahhh ok, thanks!