Tmobile in talks with MetroPCS about merger

ericdabbs

It appears that Deutsche Telekom parent of Tmobile is in talks with MetroPCS about a potential merger which involves a stock swap transaction that gives Deutsche Telekom majority control which would make Tmobile go public. Very interesting turn of events.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-09/deutsche-telekom-said-to-talk-to-metropcs-on-t-mobile-usa-merger

It appears that Deutsche Telekom parent of Tmobile is in talks with MetroPCS about a potential merger which involves a stock swap transaction that gives Deutsche Telekom majority control which would make Tmobile go public. Very interesting turn of events.

http://www.businessw...bile-usa-merger

I wonder if this will value Metro higher or lower than the reported Sprint deal. That one had had metro at about $8 billion. Metro has since reported a somewhat disappointing quarter.

Wouldn't tmo run into problems running two different networks. Like sprint did when they acquired Nextel?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

MetroPCS and Tmo have similar spectrum holdings in AWS/PCS. The new combined company would most likely just phase out the MetroPCS network ASAP, forcing those customers to migrate into new devices (kind of like what ATT did with Alltel). I just think that MetroPCS spectrum just isn't very valuable. You can look at it here: http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Also, MetroPCS subscribers aren't very valuable either. And you can't use their network. The only value to MetroPCS, IMHO, is the spectrum. They do have two good 5x5 chunks of AWS in the Western U.S. But other than that, it is highly fractured pieces of 5x5 AWS and PCS...and a 10x10 AWS chunk in some rural Florida, Georgia and California counties.

Robert

• Like 2

I think it will be better if Sprint acquired them. Much easier to migrate them to Sprint's prepaid brands. Keep the PCS spectrum and sell/exchange the AWS spectrum to T-Mobile/Verizon.

The other idea is to let them and Cricket become MVNO's of Sprint in exchange for their spectrum, with appropriate discounts, of course.

MetroPCS and Tmo have similar spectrum holdings in AWS/PCS. The new combined company would most likely just phase out the MetroPCS network ASAP, forcing those customers to migrate into new devices (kind of like what ATT did with Alltel). I just think that MetroPCS spectrum just isn't very valuable. You can look at it here: http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

Also, MetroPCS subscribers aren't very valuable either. And you can't use their network. The only value to MetroPCS, IMHO, is the spectrum. They do have two good 5x5 chunks of AWS in the Western U.S. But other than that, it is highly fractured pieces of 5x5 AWS and PCS...and a 10x10 AWS chunk in some rural Florida, Georgia and California counties.

Robert

Migrating customers would probably be difficult. MetroPCS is all non-contract prepaid customers isn't it? They don't have a contract keeping them tied to the service provider.

Robert

According to that map, MetroPCS also have a 10x10 chunk in NYC and a 5x5 chunk in the northeast area in Philladelphia and Boston.

Migrating customers would probably be difficult. MetroPCS is all non-contract prepaid customers isn't it? They don't have a contract keeping them tied to the service provider.

It would be a challenge. However, even AT&T let Alltel customers out of their contracts when they were forced migrated to AT&T devices.

Robert

According to that map, MetroPCS also have a 10x10 chunk in NYC and a 5x5 chunk in the northeast area in Philladelphia and Boston.

I clicked on all the MetroPCS 10x10 holdings and did not see one that covers NYC. I just double checked, and still don't see it.

Robert

But Tmobile would just transfer them to Tmobile prepaid without any contract. Its not like Tmobile has to create a whole new prepaid division to accommodate MetroPCS. I am not sure what they would do but if Tmobile wanted to use the spectrum ASAP is offer MetroPCS customers a cheap price to switch over to the Tmobile phones and be on their network.. This is what Sprint is doing with their Nextel customers by offering a cheap price to switch over to the SDC phones.

I clicked on all the MetroPCS 10x10 holdings and did not see one that covers NYC. I just double checked, and still don't see it.

Robert

click on AWS Block C and D for MetroPCS and scroll the map. AWS Block C and D are each a 5x5 block and combined would be a 10x10. Maybe it might be better to say they have two 5x5 chunks in NYC.

click on AWS Block C and D for MetroPCS and scroll the map. AWS Block C and D are each a 5x5 block and combined would be a 10x10. Maybe it might be better to say they have two 5x5 chunks in NYC.

OK...I see what you're cooking up now. I only went through the blocks individually and did not try to assemble adjacent frequencies together.

Robert

OK...I see what you're cooking up now. I only went through the blocks individually and did not try to assemble adjacent frequencies together.

Robert

I figured when you meant by MetroPCS has 2 good 5x5 chunks in the Western US, I was assuming you mean the 2 chunks in AWS Block D and E. So I figured lets not forget to mention about NYC and at least a 5x5 chunk in Boston and Philly.

Guys, the Phone Scoop maps produced following the 2006 auction are easier to use. And I am hesitant to encourage use of the sequence-omega.net site, as limitations in its data gathering and mapping techniques cause certain licenses to be mapped inaccurately.

35jz6mp.gif

http://www.phonescoo...php?a=99&p=1495

AJ

Guys, the Phone Scoop maps produced following the 2006 auction are easier to use. And I am hesitant to encourage use of the sequence-omega.net site, as limitations in its data gathering and mapping techniques cause certain licenses to be mapped inaccurately.

AJ

Not to mention, my internet connection doesn't let me use that site 90% of the time.

Interesting...which means they could potentially roll all the Metro customers to Straight Talk, and capture that spectrum for other usage.

On another note, does anyone remember the AT&T Wireless and Cingular takeover back in the day? At that time, AT&T was running a TDMA network natively on their 800mhz (if I remember correctly), and building out a GSM network using their 1900mhz spectrum. When Cingular took over, they basically notified all AT&T Wireless customers that their TDMA devices would be dead in the water at date XXXX.

I can see something like that happening here.

Interesting...which means they could potentially roll all the Metro customers to Straight Talk, and capture that spectrum for other usage.

On another note, does anyone remember the AT&T Wireless and Cingular takeover back in the day? At that time, AT&T was running a TDMA network natively on their 800mhz (if I remember correctly), and building out a GSM network using their 1900mhz spectrum. When Cingular took over, they basically notified all AT&T Wireless customers that their TDMA devices would be dead in the water at date XXXX.

Actually, Cingular was still running a remnant of TDMA subscribers themselves when they took over AT&T wireless. But that merger happened in October 2004. The shutdown of TDMA didn't happen until 2007 or 2008. I had a friend on TDMA AT&T wireless up until 4 months before the TDMA shutdown when she finally migrated to GSM

That's exactly what AT&T did here in New Mexico when they took over Alltel. The day AT&T took over billing, they sent notifications to all their Alltel customers they inherited a 60 day notice. It said that they needed to migrate to an AT&T device in 60 days if they wanted 3G service. AT&T then turned off 3G EVDO Alltel network in 60 days. Alltel customers were pissed. In the circles I talked to, most left. They were so turned off by AT&T's very first communication with them. AT&T didn't care about the Alltel customers. Any that they kept were just gravy.

AT&T only bought the divested portions of Alltel to make sure Sprint didn't get it, and to pick up some more spectrum.

Robert

Actually, Cingular was still running a remnant of TDMA subscribers themselves when they took over AT&T wireless. But that merger happened in October 2004. The shutdown of TDMA didn't happen until 2007 or 2008. I had a friend on TDMA AT&T wireless up until 4 months before the TDMA shutdown when she finally migrated to GSM

Really? I think that might have been by market. I remember here in my area, the notices went out and the network was shutdown/forced migration very rapidly.

Really? I think that might have been by market. I remember here in my area, the notices went out and the network was shutdown/forced migration very rapidly.

The TDMA shutdown occured over a 2 month period, but was completed in March of 2008, or was it 2007? I can't remember which year. But from the very onset of the merger, they were trying hard to convert all TDMA customers to GSM devices. The advertisements came 2-4 times per month for like 2 years. I can't recall how many I shredded before I just gave up and threw them away instead.

The TDMA shutdown occured over a 2 month period, but was completed in March of 2008, or was it 2007? I can't remember which year. But from the very onset of the merger, they were trying hard to convert all TDMA customers to GSM devices. The advertisements came 2-4 times per month for like 2 years. I can't recall how many I shredded before I just gave up and threw them away instead.

Yeah something like that. I just thought it was a such smaller time period.

• Like 1

Yeah something like that. I just thought it was a such smaller time period.

It sure does seem like that now, doesn't it? It's because it was so many years ago already.